View Single Post
Old January 20, 2002, 04:56 AM   #2
yankytrash

I could see where that idea might spiral downhill fast.

Although you and I might be intent on keeping it light-hearted and funny, there are others that could just start using that forum area as a place to, "take this outside."

Remember when you were a kid at school playing dodgeball in gym class? It was fun and games to most, a little serious to others, and down-right personal to a select few. You know the latter, because he was the kid that was little bigger than you, and chucked the balls a little faster than anybody, at anybody, including the girls.

If you had a good blind open shot at him, you didn't take it, because he'd get up off the floor, turn to you, and say, "I'll see you out in the school yard at 3:10, and you better be there."

Because, you see, although we all know that it's just a game and know not to take a well-placed hit personally, there those out there that do not.

Now if you take that analogy and apply it to the discussions we sometimes get into on the forums, you can see where I'm going with this. To us, they're discussions, to others they're arguments, and to a select few, it's down-right personal.

Those select few would turn an Open General forum into an uncontrollable mess of personal insults, racial bias, and gender bashing. Hell, some are so intent on bashing others for their point of view that they try to squeeze a few of those insults into the current General Discussion, knowing the mods won't let it go by unlocked.

I just think what was intended to be light-hearted in nature could easily end up being the toilet of the TFL forums.

My $.03.

Page generated in 0.03590 seconds with 8 queries