View Single Post
Old January 14, 2005, 11:38 PM   #22
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Long time ago in japan the samurai developed a fighting style that developed into JuJitsu (note, an -istu ending means it's focused on fighting/war, a -do ending means it's focused more on the self/sport). Problem is, the training for this basically consisted of getting into battles. Lots of people died and it didn't really work.

So this guy came along (who's name I don't remember, but I really should) and developed Judo which was a more friendly version. Structured rules meant that they could train in a controled enviroment and still become highly leathal. In fact, the test of skill was basically walking into the red light district of town, picking a fight, and dropping the guy in one hit. If it took more then one, you weren't good enough yet.

Judo got popular and was selected as a "state martial arts" of sorts. Eventually this lead to Judo vs Jujitsu competitions which judo won every time (except one back in day). Not that this really means anything, but I took judo, so forgive me for bragging. Anyhow, because of this, Jujistu fell by the way side and Judo took over in it's place.

Couple decades ago a branch of judo broke off and took the name of Jujitsu. I don't remember which branch or anything, I just remember it happened. Anyhow, the Gracies studied this and went back to brazil, which at the time was fairly brutal place to live. Now, the Gracies were a massive family. Basically the way that they trained was one would want to try a new move out, so he'd pick a fight at a party. The other 30 gracies at the party would keep the fight to just the two of them while the Gracie tried out the new move. Needless to say, it got a reputation of being a very brutal style (which is why I dont like a lot of BJJ practicioners). As far as what is different between it and Jujistu or the original JJ, I can't say.
  • The guy who invented Judo was named Kano.
  • You're the first one I've heard say the Gracies developed their art by fighting at parties instead of in the vale tudo ring and with each other.
  • The Gracies did not leave Brazil. Helio Gracie and, I believe, his brother were taught Japanese jiu-jitsu by a visiting Japanese citizen to whom their father had been a help.
  • You're also the first guy I've ever heard characterize BJJ and Gracie JJ in particular as "brutal," especially in comparison to Judo.
  • Most of the differences between GJJ and JJJ are in the Gracies' use of the "guard" and their freewheeling approaching to rolling and setting up submissions, the result of adapting the art to no-holds-barred and MMA competition.

Page generated in 0.02843 seconds with 8 queries