View Single Post
Old September 7, 1999, 04:53 AM   #12
Long Path

Ankeny--

You and I have the same basic ballistics, you just have a much classier rig. My Sendero SF throws 180 g Sierra Game Kings at a tad over 3100 fps to give me .75 MOA, and is topped with a Simmons 4X12 50mm "ranging" scope.

Out of curiosity, why did you have the Shilen barrel bored for .30-.338 instead of .300 Win Mag, which gives identical ballistics, but is more widely distributed? Of course, I might as well have one; my rifle has not yet fired a single round of factory ammo, and I'd say she has about 600 rounds through her.

I first bought this rifle because a lot of the deer we saw were feeding at the edge of a winter-wheat field which was a section square. Shots could get very long on this field, and stalking is difficult to impossible across such low, bleak terrain. I had already made a 300+ yard shot on a large buck with a .257 Rbts. (edge of its range, in my opinion) after stalking up about 120 yards to close in. Ironically, I never got to hunt deer on this ranch again due to some family politics our host was having with his in-laws (who owned the place). The last three deer have been under 110 yards, with one at about 50! So much for my long range rig! I've been scouting some hilltops to prepare for this year-- I plan to see more of the ranch in one glance. If I do hunt from one of these hills, the closest shot will be 175 yards or so, with other shots out to infinity. Some consideration is in order... I may borrow a laser rangefinder.

David-- Yes, this is a theory of mine, too. Now, why haven't I been getting the guns out of the deal, as well?

Art-- I've a friend with a few acres to look at down that way-- need to see if I can clang your dinger with some heavy pistol bullets-- one of my favorite sports.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 07, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02195 seconds with 8 queries