The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #1
stagpanther

IBS anyone?

I'm contemplating trying one of these--mostly cause it's the only thing even remotely reasonable to drive to near where I live. The one I'm contemplating has several different classes; this is the description:

"Each relay in turn will shoot a warm up followed by five scored matches. The meet allows for rifles in the following classes: Varmint for score, Hunter, Varmint hunter, AR (with brass catcher), and any factory rifle with any scope."

What I can't tell is if the only class for the "score" method is used for all the classifications or just the varmint class. The varmint class apparently is ruled by almost exclusively 30BR entrants because of the wider caliber. I don't have one, and while I like the specs of the cartridge I'm not sure I'm interested in investing in a "one trick pony." Does anyone know if the other classes are scored using a different method, and what that might be? I just want to not show up with a different cartridge if everyone is using the same thing.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #2
stagpanther

The cricket chirping is deafening.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #3
Shotgun Slim

Maybe the crickets wonder why you would shoot Irritable Bowel Syndrome or whatever that stands for........
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #4
georgehwbush

some crickets understand "international bench-rest shooting" but have no experance there "chirp chirp"
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Maybe the crickets wonder why you would shoot Irritable Bowel Syndrome or whatever that stands for........
Bring spare underwear. I'll skip that match.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #6
georgehwbush

i wonder where all the bench-rest shooters are ?
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #7
stagpanther

Before I posted this the last thread was up for a very long time. I guess the match guys hang out elsewhere? Never seen any mention of the 30 BR here but it seems to be the current darling of moderate range bench rest. It has some amazing chracteristics but I'm having trouble committing myself to building one--it has very limited bullet choice, in fact I can't find any of the special flat base bullets it uses.