The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2004, 10:42 AM   #1
K9 Big Dog

Cleaning Completed Cases

Okay, how's that for alliteration??!!

Here's my question:

What the easiest/fastest/best way to remove the lube from completed loads? It seems to me that wiping them off individually kind of defeats the speed and convenience purpose of the progressive press. Some guys have told me that they will tumble the new loads for a short time to remove the lube, and others have said not to tumble loaded ammo. Opinions? Tips? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe
Old July 20, 2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Paul Fitz Jones

Tumble Cleaning Live ammo

As a hobby and commercial reloader I would place the live ammo in my tumbler half full, pour corn cob media on top of them then add a quantity of kerosene on top of the media, stir it in a little than tumble for a few minutes. The keorsene removed the bullet lube, left a protective coating on the brass and the lead bullets so they would not corrode in storage especially long term storage. I have some ammo that is 30 years old and the lead bullets are not corroded.

I learned this from my commercial reloading mentor who loaded 3 million rounds a month and was asked to keep it a secret until he sold his Santa Maria factory to someone in Japan for a million dollars.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old July 20, 2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Jeeper

Watch tumbling hollowpoints if your media is large enought to get jammed in the end. Otherwise a tumble a lot of stuff to get the lube off. Of course if you use hornady one-shot lube then tumbling after is not necessary
Old July 20, 2004, 04:09 PM   #4
steveno

for the 270 and 22-250 (Nickel plated Federal) I neck size only so just a tab of lube is required every once in a while inside the neck for the expanding plug. otherwise no other lube is required at all. for the 45-70 (nickel plated Federal) I use Hornady Unique case lube and wipe off after sizing. Hornady One-Shot doesn't work very well on nickel plated brass. all pistol dies are carbide so obviously no lube is required here at all.
Old July 20, 2004, 04:24 PM   #5
Jeeper

Quote:
all pistol dies are carbide so obviously no lube is required here at all.
Not necessary but very very nice on a progressive. It makes it so much easier.
Old July 21, 2004, 11:46 AM   #6
mete

Jeeper, you're right ,a SMALL amount of lube helps with carbide.Just touch your finger to the lube pad and a small amount will get on the cases, it's all you need. But rifle cases also don't need much and too much can collapse the shoulder.