The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 30, 2006, 10:05 PM   #1
pax

What is the best caliber and gun for a man?

Now granted all men are not alike, but men in general have big, thick fingers. They cannot manage fine motor skills as well as women can, so any finicky little gun which requires them to smoothly pull the trigger is probably not a good idea.

Men usually have heavy upper-body musculature, so you could expect them to be able to hold even a heavy gun out in front of them (for example, a Desert Eagle would be a good handgun choice which takes advantage of a man's usually well-developed gross motor skills).

On the other hand, men often have emotional difficulty shooting smaller guns, feeling perhaps that such guns are not "manly" enough, so smaller guns might be best left unconsidered even when a smaller gun might otherwise be a good choice.

Because men are generally less precise and less patient than women are, a gun that would require them to carefully align the sights is probably not best. For that reason, a shotgun, perhaps a 12-gauge, is probably the best gun for a man. It is big and powerful, thus avoiding the social scorn caused by using a smaller gun. Because the shot can be expected to spread somewhat, an impatient or imprecise man will not have to carefully align the sights. Better still, a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun both sounds manly, and allows the man to use his usually well-developed gross motor skills.

pax

Women will forgive anything. Otherwise the race would have died out long ago. -- Robert Heinlein
Old January 30, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Dealing with more Neandertals than usual lately?

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old January 30, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3
1inthechamber

I didn't have any emotional difficulties shooting a .22.
Old January 30, 2006, 10:16 PM   #4
azredhawk44

Ar, Ar, Ar, Ar!!!!!

If it's an auto, it's a .45acp. Big grips, double stack. Glock21, Springfield doublestack 1911, HK, whatever. At least 11+1, because real men don't use no sissy 10 round mags.

If it's a revolver, it's a .44magnum. 6" barrel. Smith, Ruger, Dan Wesson, whatever. Full lug barrel, heavy as heck. It's got handloads that breathe dragon's fire out the front of it when he lets that sucker loose. Hollowpoints that shine like a pimp's jewelry can be seen from the front of the cylinders, so big that you can hide a basketball in it.
Old January 30, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on what they're going to be huntin' with it, Pax. Now if they're huntin' wimmin, I recommend a 22,000 grain, 500. caliber deluxe club . Hey, it worked for our early, Piltdown Man ancestors!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 30, 2006, 10:32 PM   #6
OBIWAN

OK...now them is fightin words

Even the parts that are true
Old January 30, 2006, 11:20 PM   #7
#18indycolts

BB's can be deadly!
Old January 30, 2006, 11:28 PM   #8
pipoman

Who scorned you Pax?
Old January 31, 2006, 12:04 AM   #9
hso

Bwahahahaaaa

Sounds just as stupid that way as the more common testosterone laden low IQ gutless other. But I'm afraid it's a little too subtle for 'em, Pax.
Old January 31, 2006, 12:05 AM   #10
Sir William

I note that even HKs are coming in colours today. Blue for boys? LOL
Old January 31, 2006, 12:36 AM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Methinks perhaps she's a little ticked at this thread .

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=197652

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 31, 2006, 09:04 AM   #12
mack59

The smallest handgun/mouse gun a real man should shoot - more so because of its concealabilty than its firepower - is the Ma Deuce in 50 BMG. For serious work real men should carry at least a 20mm canon.
Old January 31, 2006, 12:32 PM   #13
sig226man

Location: An actual Chelsea NYC heterosexual who just moved to Queens
So, I guess I should question my sexuality for looking at a Glock 36?

"You, you, and you: panic; the rest of you come with me"
-David Mamet's The Unit
Old January 31, 2006, 12:59 PM   #14
David W. Gay

The Best Caliber for a Man???

How's this?

Old January 31, 2006, 02:01 PM   #15
Twycross

Quote:
For serious work real men should carry at least a 20mm canon.
Minimum. With at least 100 rounds. Most guys carry it all IWB, too. You only thought most men were overweight!
Old January 31, 2006, 02:44 PM   #16
DWARREN123

It depends, the model and caliber must fit or it will not be a good experience.
Old January 31, 2006, 03:24 PM   #17
Wildalaska

What is the best caliber and gun for a man or a woman?

Whatever a man decides...

WildablatantjerkduetochestcoldAlaska
Old January 31, 2006, 04:04 PM   #18
OneInTheChamber

I've never heard of someone who has been on the wrong side of a .22 and said "I wasn't scared, it was a wimpy gun".

Getting shot is getting shot; I don't want to get shot by a .22 just as much as I don't want to get shot by a .223.

This isn't going to turn into a "he's compensating for something" thread is it?
Old February 3, 2006, 05:25 AM   #19
stratus

Quote:
Now granted all men are not alike, but men in general have big, thick fingers. They cannot manage fine motor skills as well as women can, so any finicky little gun which requires them to smoothly pull the trigger is probably not a good idea.
I have slender girly hands, though, and I'm extremely good at coordinating fine movements such as those involved in playing the guitar, as well as video games. And typing.

Quote:
Men usually have heavy upper-body musculature, so you could expect them to be able to hold even a heavy gun out in front of them (for example, a Desert Eagle would be a good handgun choice which takes advantage of a man's usually well-developed gross motor skills).
True, Desert Eagles make good clubs, but many men, as well as some orangutans, prefer the USP, because of their crinkled hands and total lack of fine motor coordination. In contrast, many petite females can step inside the USP's trigger guard and use it as a hula hoop.

Quote:
On the other hand, men often have emotional difficulty shooting smaller guns, feeling perhaps that such guns are not "manly" enough, so smaller guns might be best left unconsidered even when a smaller gun might otherwise be a good choice.
It's been said that anything larger than 9mm is because men are trying to compensate for something. I prefer the 9mm. I'm not trying to compensate for a darn thing. My P228 was recently modified to accomodate a fifty-two inch barrel.

Quote:
Because men are generally less precise and less patient than women are, a gun that would require them to carefully align the sights is probably not best. For that reason, a shotgun, perhaps a 12-gauge, is probably the best gun for a man. It is big and powerful, thus avoiding the social scorn caused by using a smaller gun. Because the shot can be expected to spread somewhat, an impatient or imprecise man will not have to carefully align the sights. Better still, a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun both sounds manly, and allows the man to use his usually well-developed gross motor skills.
I say give the man a dog. That way he won't have to aim anything and the dog will do all the work. If you have to hand something to a man, make it a flamethrower with a nice, heavy fuel tank that will give him another reason not to get up off the sofa.

Except me, I use the 9mm, but that's because I'm a pansy who can't handle a little recoil.
Old February 3, 2006, 07:39 AM   #20
Jart

From an earlier "guns for women" thread:

Quote:
You definitely want to use a Magnum with a bore size over .300", because we charge when we're wounded.
- Tamara
Equally valid for the male of the species, I'd expect.
Old February 3, 2006, 07:40 AM   #21
XavierBreath

I've been feeling the need to upgrade to spitballs through a drinking straw.
Old February 3, 2006, 09:38 AM   #22
Mikeyboy

Its not the size of the bullet, but what you can do with it, that counts
Old February 3, 2006, 09:39 AM   #23
Mikeyboy

Its not the size of the bullet, but what you can do with it, that counts
Old February 3, 2006, 11:46 AM   #24
okiejack

Meaningful Relationships are Difficult.

It's a fact of life. It makes no difference which caliber we choose, forming a mutually benificial emotional bond is not going to be a cake walk.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:50 AM   #25
Tonyny

Well I had the "ladysmith" removed from my snub.....heh