The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 1, 2007, 07:23 AM   #1
bdcbbq

Reasons Why You Choose Not To Reload

I've read quite a few threads on why to reload. I want to generate some thoughts and reasons why those who made the decision to not reload made them. I'm still in the decision stage but some of the reasons that turn me away are.

The time involved in learning how to reload and and the actual reloading itself.

I'm not a detail oriented person and believe that I will get bored real easily.

The whole concept of ballistics, formulas, science, etc. just plain bore me.

Other reasons?
Old December 1, 2007, 07:39 AM   #2
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
The biggest reasons would be lack of space and money. You need a reasonable amount of room for a reloading bench and start up cost are high when you have more than a couple of calibers.

I will get into reloading when my budget allows for it, but right now there are guns I want first. Battle rifles mostly since there is real threat of a new ban after the next Presidential election.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Doublestack

The reasons to reload will vary as much as the reasons not to reload. Your reasons for not getting into reloading are valid ones for many folks. You can also add to your list:

-Not comfortable having gunpowder and primers in the house.
-Do not shoot enough to justify the amount of time and money necessary.
-reloading components are not readily available in your area.

To many the advantages to reloading outweigh the reasons not to reload. This would definitely apply to those who shoot a lot, but do not have a disposable income. I fall into this category. Fortunately, I am one of those folks who actually enjoys the mechanics involved with reloading. I enjoy creating different loads, test firing them over a chronograph, and testing them for accuracy.

Admittedly, it was the cost of ammo and amount of money saved by reloading that pushed me into "rolling my own". While not poor, I could not afford to shoot as much as I do without reloading. With the price of ammo skyrocketing, I am glad I have my machines set up. I believe that money will be the ultimate tie breaker for most. A reloading press and dies will pay for itself in short order depending on how much the reloader shoots. If you compete as I do, the cost of store bought ammo would make it impossible to continue in the sports.

For the person who owns guns for personal protection and limited range practice only, the cost of keeping your firearm fed may be minimal, and thus the time and effort required for reloading might be better spent elsewhere.

DS
Old December 1, 2007, 09:32 AM   #4
duboy

right now i don't reload because a bulk of what i shoot is .22 and 9mm, and i struggle to hit the range even twice a month. i'd say every year i prob go through 2 or 3 bricks of .22lr, maybe 800rds of 9mm, 300 .45acp and MAYBE 2-300 .38/.357mag

so not only do i have time constraints (between work, and a LOT of home improvement going on), but my most heavily used calibers are still relatively cheap to fire. (about $10 for 500+ .22lr, $15 for 100 9mm on avg)

i'd like to get into reloading some day, but right now time/cost of commercial ammo/and the fact that i don't dump rounds into the backstop make me hold off on reloading.
Old December 1, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5
grymster2007

Lots of reasons I shouldn’t bother to hand load:
  • I don’t have time to shoot much
  • I can afford all the ammo I want
  • Mrs. Grymster don’t like powder in the garage
  • Mrs. Grymster don’t like me tinkering when I could be doing something “productive”
  • I have too many hobbies as it is

Despite those, I just started… and I’m having fun! Hand loading provides one more method of clearing my head and relaxing. Besides; I like to tinker and I’ll need things to keep me busy in retirement.
Old December 1, 2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Yellowfin

I can only say that I haven't started yet. Like others, I have just gotten to where I'm shooting often enough to justify it, shoot a lot of .22, and the stuff that I shoot that's bigger than .22 dishes out enough shoulder punishment to make them not a frequent shooter. My sidearm is just now getting sufficient range time. I don't have my AR built yet, but when I do I will reload .223 in MASS quantities. I'm no wimp, but shooting a lightweight .30-06 and .264 in heavy volume just isn't in the cards for me at the moment.
Old December 1, 2007, 11:47 AM   #7
CraigC

I'm hearing a lot of the same reasons (or excuses) for why I waited so long. Looking back, I should've started long before I did. Maybe I can address some of the issues brought up.

Quote:
The time involved in learning how to reload and and the actual reloading itself.
It's really not difficult at all. Reloading manuals step you through it and it does not take very long to get into a good rhythm. By the time you've loaded your first 50rds you will be much more comfortable with the whole process.

Quote:
That's definitely possible. That's something you have to decide for yourself. I know a lot of people really enjoy reloading. I don't. For me it is a necessary chore to be able to shoot as much as I like to shoot. I'd be just as happy if I had a trained monkey to do it. I'd still rather be reloading in the basement than working overtime for The Man.

Quote:
Can't help you with that, it either interests you or it doesn't. I don't believe it is necessary to benefit from reloading though.

Quote:
The biggest reasons would be lack of space and money. You need a reasonable amount of room for a reloading bench and start up cost are high when you have more than a couple of calibers.
It's not very expensive and does not require a lot of room. My first loading bench was three feet long and built into a corner of my closet. Stored my bullets on the floor under it, brass and primers on the shelves above it. If you shop used, basic equipment can be had for sometimes as low as $200. I bought my starter kit new and it was less than $400. About as much as a used gun on today's market. I had been saving brass for many years and didn't need to buy any. As a result, cast bullet loads for my sixguns cost me about $4/50 and I can reload about 100rds an hour on my turret press. I'm probably gonna get a Dillon 650 in the next year so my rounds per hour will skyrocket. Factory loads are $20-$35 per 50rds so you can see how fast your investment will pay for itself. You don't have to buy equipment for all your calibers at once. All that stuff can be purchased at a later date. Even so, it's not much more than $40 for carbide dies and a shellholder. Less for steel pistol or rifle dies.
Old December 1, 2007, 12:03 PM   #8
rampage841512

Lack of space, lack of money for start up materials. That's about it. I think I can make the space, but getting the money together for the start up materials will take some time.
Old December 1, 2007, 12:05 PM   #9
IZinterrogator

I don't want to do it in the house or in the garage. I'm waiting until my next move because I'm going to buy some property and put an outbuilding on it for my reloading and cleaning.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 1, 2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

To be honest, you've given some key reasons why not to load if I were in your shoes.

If you think you'll become disinterested in the art of reloading, then I see a two-fold negative result that could very well happen:

1. The reloading equipment will eventually gather dust and you will regret ever getting into it.

2. Going through the process when disinterested is a recipe for disaster. I know others have claimed in other thread topics that they do it only for saving money, not because it's fun. But, IMO if you're not attentive and the motivation in reloading, the risk of making a mistake skyrockets. Safety can be compromised.

With the statements you've claimed, it appears that you're being honest with yourself. As much as I encourage people to reload (I really love it, myself), I wouldn't recommend it to you based on the brief post you made.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 1, 2007, 03:38 PM   #11
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcbbq

Quote:

It sounds to me like you don't want to reload and have no interest in learning it. So, tell me, what is the purpose of this thread? Are you seeking affirmation or do you want to be convinced you should reload?
Old December 1, 2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Yesit'sloaded

I don't reload because the presses belong to my girlfriend
Old December 1, 2007, 07:37 PM   #13
Rmstn1580

No money!
Mosin Nagant 91/30 1943, Mosin Nagant M44 1944, 2 Ruger 10/22s, Marlin 80, Marlin 336A, WASR-10/63, Remington 870 Wingmaster, Remington 870 Express Magnum, Glock 27, SiG P220, Walther PPK/S, 2 Smith & Wesson .357 Magnums, Beretta 21A
Old December 1, 2007, 07:57 PM   #14
slowrider

If I continue to shoot and enjoy it I probably will start reloading at some time. I'm trying to find things I enjoy and will occupy my time when retirement comes in the next 10 yrs. But I still go to work everyday, have a kid in middle school, ride motorcycles and have other interests. My days are pretty full and I'm lucky to shoot two times a month. Right now I'm shooting 38/357, 9mm and 22 but I'd like a 380 and am interested in some other calibers as well so reloading will also make economic sense.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:06 PM   #15
allenomics

Lots of reasons not to reload; equipment cost, time, potental for errors, calibers that don't justify (.22) and voided warranties, etc.
Old December 1, 2007, 10:39 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

I have seen too many people experience problems with reloads and seen reloads being at the root of KBs, either with squibs followed by another round or by multi-charges. The newer the shooter is to reloading, the greater the likelihood of bad ammo and damaging the gun. Same too with over confidence.
Old December 1, 2007, 10:51 PM   #17
homefires

Time , Space, Cost. It is not cost effective for most people to reload! Cost on components have gone nuts, Cost of powder is off the wall! Some places have such restrictions on it , that people just don't wish to go there any more.

All part of the game to loose the gun people. You can be had by the BATF +E Just for having fireworks you took apart! They have a slot for it , Conspiracy, Intent, or just plane Evil! All Federal indications! You loose your writes to own a gun, vote and own your own child!

Yes they will take your kids from you!
Old December 1, 2007, 10:59 PM   #18
homefires

Time , Space, Cost. It is not cost effective for most people to reload! Cost on components have gone nuts, Cost of powder is off the wall! Some places have such restrictions on it , that people just don't wish to go there any more.

All part of the game to loose the gun people. You can be had by the BATF +E Just for having fireworks you took apart! They have a slot for it , Conspiracy, Intent, or just plane Evil! All Federal indications! You loose your writes to own a gun, AND own your own child!

Yes they will take your kids from you!

THEY CALL IT CHILD INDAGERMENT!

CONFUSED I AM, IF I LET MY SON PLAY BASE BALL AT SCHOOL AND HE GETS HIT IN THE HEAD BY A BALL AND DIES, IT'S OK.

IF HE RUNS DOWN MY ROAD AND FALLS OVER A STICK, IT MY FAULT?
Old December 1, 2007, 11:40 PM   #19
jhansman

You list excellent reasons not to reload, and there is absolutely NO reason to do it if you wouldn't enjoy it. That said, if you know someone who does, and can hang out with them while they are putting some loads together, you should. When I started shooting I had no interest whatsoever in making my own ammo. Curiosity got the better of me, and I went over to a buddy's house to see what all the fuss was, and was immediately hooked. Now that I do, shooting has a whole new dimension of enjoyment. It is worth noting that in a former life, I was a dental technician, and you can't get much more detail oriented than that.

BTW, all that about the cost effectiveness of reloading is, IMHO, the last reason to take it up. Components cost more now than ever, and will only go higher.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:16 AM   #20
Thunderhawk88

The main reason for me to reload is that it feels so good firing my own loads. I have reloaded for 25+ years and never had a problem.
Old December 2, 2007, 01:37 AM   #21
TexasSeaRay

Lack of interest, maybe?

When I was a teenager, I had zero interest in reloading and 100% interest in shooting. But down the road when I got into IPSC shooting, I realized that ammo costs were going to eat into my meager GS9 civil service salary pretty quick.

So grudgingly, I got into reloading.

I bought a Lee Pro 1000 set up for 9mm and a Craftsman workbench with a cabinet underneath on one side and five drawers on the other. Put it in my spare bedroom. Got a cheap set of scales and minimum required equipment.

After reloading my first 300 rounds, then firing them, I couldn't wait to get back and reload some more.

Years later today, I still have that Craftsman workbeanch and it serves as my primary reloading bench. I have dies for all calibres I own, plus some that I do for friends. I have a dedicated workshop that is air conditioned, has a fridge, telephone and even satellite TV. I turn on one of the outdoor programs before I start loading.

It is definitely Calgon time and I think it has helped make me an overall better shooter because I understand a little better exactly what my rounds are doing and why.

And, for the record, I still don't have much interest in the hard science of the matter nor do I care all that much for ballistics beyond the basics.

The final thing that converted me was the self-reliant aspect of being the total gun owner. I've got a lot of powder, primers and bullets stored along with brass. They can ban anything they want and I can still produce thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammunition for my firearms.

I especially like that aspect of reloading.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 2, 2007, 08:12 AM   #22
elza

Years ago I spent quite a bit of time at the range. And, I have a (some might say masochistic) penchant for big-bore handguns. Reloading saved me a bunch of money and allowed me to fine tune loads for the individual guns. Plus I used to shoot my M1 Garand a LOT and it takes a special load.

Considering today’s prices on supplies and equipment I’m not sure how cost effective it will be unless you shoot a lot of rounds.
Old December 2, 2007, 09:50 AM   #23
gfen

No time.
No space.
No confidence.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:10 AM   #24
RangerVA

Quote:
No time.
No space.
No confidence
Same here, I'm also the guy that cleans gun with a ciggarette hanging outa my mouth Reloading and me prolly isn't a good idea.
Old December 2, 2007, 11:20 AM   #25
ronc0011

Frankly I am interested in reloading but from my preliminary investigation I haven’t seen that there is much in cost savings. If I could afford the ammunition I would definitely shoot more. I was seriously considering the Lee Pro 1000 turret press but unless I can significantly reduce the cost per round I just don’t see the benefit. Right now it cost me about $25 / 100 rnds of 230gr 45ACP and I forget what the 308 is costing me. Also both of these guns burn up lots of ammo thus the reason for my interest in the turret press, I would be endless hours loading on a single stage press, I just don’t have the time for that so the turret press would be my only serious option. Also the M1A is rather finicky about what you feed it QC is a very real issue.