The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
115scott

FC headstamp

I am new to the forum so my question may have been discussed in the past but here goes. I was recently informed that Federal FC headstamp brass should not be reloaded as it can come apart above the rim. I have both 9mm and 40 S&W that have been reloaded, probably 1000 rds or more. My question is, is this stuff safe to shoot in my Glocks? Thanks for any feedback.
Old March 30, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Reloads

I've never heard such a thing about Federal brass. I see no reason why it sohuld be worse than any other. Also, it's been around since about forever so I doubt it would be a mystery if it was failing. Glock recommends agianst using reloads in their pistols, just like every other manufacturer. If it came from a reputable "remanufacturer" and you know who to see if it should damage your gun, since you really have no idea what's in it, thats one thing. If you bought it from a guy named Joe or Bubba at a gun show and it blows your investment up.......

And look here, I have a feeling this might have been caused by a reload:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=287721
Not sure, new thread, but it's happened before.
Old March 30, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3
hksigwalther

Welcome aboard.

Quote:
I was recently informed that Federal FC headstamp brass should not be reloaded as it can come apart above the rim.
Who 'informed' you?

Last edited by hksigwalther; March 30, 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Forgot greeting.
Old March 30, 2008, 01:17 PM   #4
SDC

Perfectly safe, as long as you inspect it (which you should be doing anyway, regardless of the brand); Federal rifle brass has a reputation for being slightly softer and more malleable than other brands, but it's still good, quality, brass.
Old March 30, 2008, 01:41 PM   #5
115scott

FC Headstamp

HKSIGWALTHER asked who informed me, it was a Glock field rep. He too said reloads should not be shot in Glocks but they have seen a real problem with FC. This is not the case with those stamped Federal. Also, I reloaded all of these so I know they are all loaded correctly and are not HOT or double charged.
Old March 30, 2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Alleykat

Hmmmm. Not familiar with the problem, but going to offer "authoritative" advice anyhow? Hmmmm.

Just for the record: There was a recall of some Federal brass with FC headstamp. Surprised not one of the advice-givers is aware of this!!!
Old March 30, 2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Jason_G

I apologize if this starts a stupid Glock kb debate, but...
What caliber? If it's not 9mm, I would hesitate to run reloads through a Glock. That's just me, and I'm not asking anyone else to do the same, just my $.02

Jason
Old March 30, 2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

The only recent Federal recall I know about involved .45 Long Colt ammunition, and that was for possible overloads, not bad brass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:31 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35110

American Eagle ammunition is made by Federal and head-stamped FC...
Old March 31, 2008, 08:01 AM   #10
Alleykat

There were some Hydrashocks with the FC headstamp that were recalled a few years back.

As to reloading for Glocks, I don't shoot anything but reloads through my Glocks, and I'm shooting 10mm, .45ACP and 9mm. I don't reload lead.
Old March 31, 2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Hunter Customs

When I built my All Sport Forty racegun I needed a pin load that would rip the pins off a regulation pin table.
I needed a load that would make a 210 power factor; I knew this would be asking a lot out of 40S&W brass.
I disected several brands of brass and Federal was my choice because of the strength in the web area.
My pin load was moving a 135gr JHP bullet at 1560fps, this is like a 10mm load in 40S&W brass.
Unless something has changed in Federal brass I would say the Glock Rep is wrong.
I will say I would not consider shooting the above load out of a Glock barrel.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 31, 2008, 10:04 AM   #12
geocole

About 6 or 8 months ago I all so was talking about reloading with tight-group powder and FC brass for the .40 S&W. Some one answered back and in caps said do not use FC head stamp. He said there was soft brass.
I Emailed Federal Cartage about the FC head stamp in the .40, he wrote back and said one batch had soft brass and could separate. He offered to replace the brass that I had. I told him how much I had and he sent the amount to me.
The ones I received had a head stamp (Federal), no FC.

Better E mail Federal and see what they say.

PS I shoot a Glock 22, also XDSC.