The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 2, 2008, 09:02 PM   #1
.300H&H

Is American Derringer kaput?

I was in the store the other day, and picked up a used .45Colt American Derringer. I didn't buy it, but it was tempting ie. only about $200 and was apparantly like new. There's something about'em that's appealing ie. solid,
small,simple and richly historical...but nevertheless a bit eccentric. I passed
on the deal...but looked up American Derringer's website, and noticed the website was 'down.' I'd heard that American Derringer fell victim to a nasty lawsuit awhile back... Are they out of business? I'd hate to see American Derringer close its doors...
Old June 2, 2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Dave85

Website's back up.
Old June 2, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

No, but based on the level of their customer service, they deserve to be...
Old June 2, 2008, 09:52 PM   #4
.300H&H

Great. It's my favorite firearms' company website.

http://www.amderringer.com/message.html

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a like-new,used model#1.
I know it's impractical, but there's just something about'em. Oh, well...
Old June 2, 2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Wildalaska

I have a few on GB right now

WildtheshillAlaska TM
Old June 5, 2008, 06:00 PM   #6
.300H&H

Thanks for the offer, and in the future I might do it. Right now, it's not on my short list. I'd kinda like to try one out a few times first. My understanding is that it's best to fire the bottom barrel first, and then fire the top barrel after dropping the gun about 4inches - so that it will produce a much better 'group.' Also the trigger pull is about 12lbs if pulled strait back, but more like 4lbs or less... if pulled down and back with the contour of the trigger.

Since so many seem to buy these things on impulse, fire'em and get tired of'em or frustrated with the recoil...I imagine the used market has the best bargains.

Maybe Elizabeth S. of ADC will read this letter,however, and fulfill one of my dreams - the dream of being invited to Waco Texas and being given a personal tour of the ADC factory where later over a grand Texas Steak Dinner, Ms. S. presents me and my family a customized Model#1. Wouldn't that be grand!? It would make a great ADC poster/marketing ploy/advertisement. Yep.

Old June 5, 2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

That looks like the site that has been up for years.

The lawsuit story is that a police officer had an ND with one of theirs. He sued and the company could not afford to defend against the suit. Thus, they folded. The president said she was going to try to come up with a new company but that was years ago.

The story is in a book about women and guns - could be Caitlin Kelly's () but those books are at work so I can't guarantee that is true.

I met her once. Nice person.
Old June 5, 2008, 07:15 PM   #8
2cooltoolz

I've owned a couple of their DA-38's. : .38 spl. and .357mag. The 38 was fun, the 357 was not (loaded with 357's).
Cool little curiosity guns, conversation starters, etc, but not practical on any level as a SD gun. Everything they can do a J-frame can do better. And then there's Kahr!
If I could afford to own everything though I'd like to have another
Old June 6, 2008, 12:34 AM   #9
.300H&H

I believe the AD's have to be loaded and kept half-cocked, or they will be vulnerable to a ND. I find it fishy that a police officer would not have known this, especially if it was a new AD replete with instructions. AD has been very vulnerable to litigation; it's tough, but AD was speaking out when companies like Ruger and S&W were caving to PC/litigation pressure...and AD and Ms. Saunders deserves respect for being so brave and willing to stand up to those forces that try to keep the market less than free. Ruger lost a litigation case years ago involving a ND<a loaded blackhawk was tossed on its hammer on a sidewalk by a teen who had stolen it...:barf:>

It's likely very tough for AD to revamp its machinery and modify its products. I understand AD got into some mild trouble some years ago too for trying to sell 'pen guns.' The LM4 is interesting...but I notice that AD's website doesn't quote prices like it used to...and some of the products like the LM4...seem to be on hold...

The website was down a few days ago... I hope AD is on the verge of a rebound instead of closing shop. Their product is a quality product and uniquely American.
Old June 6, 2008, 05:57 AM   #10
rogertc1

Their web sit has not changes in 10 years. i had visited their store in Waco TX about 10 years ago.
Old June 7, 2008, 01:49 AM   #11
.300H&H

Actually there have been some changes ie. prices are no longer listed and there's ongoing announcements of commemorative pieces...and a few days back it was down for a few days...
Old June 7, 2008, 05:41 AM   #12
rogertc1

Someone should see if the store is still open? Any one near WAYCO??
I have a Lady Derringer and a DAD 9mm.
I Have a Braverman pen gun and Semmerling LM4 too but not AD manufacture.
Bond Arms kinda took over the Deringer market.
Old August 5, 2008, 10:58 AM   #13
elizabeth saunders

elizabeth saunders, pres. of american derringer corp

we are not kupuit, we are here making guns every day, we are at present working on a new website, and i don't know where you get the information that Bond Arms have taken over the derringer market, Cobra Derringers sells 10 times or more than Bond ever did, ES
Old August 5, 2008, 11:01 AM   #14
elizabeth saunders

American Derringer Kupuit, noway hosay

We Are Here To Stay For Better Or Worse Or Richer Or Poorer, I Like What I Am Doing And Plan On Doing It As Long As The Good Lord Allows That To Happen, Elizabeth Saunder, Pres. Of American Derringer Corp
Old August 5, 2008, 11:03 AM   #15
elizabeth saunders

American Derringer Website Will Be Up Soon

BE LOOKING FOR OUR NEW WEBSITE IT WILL BE UP AND RUNNING IN A FEW WEEKS, IF YOU WANT TO EMAIL ME, IT IS [email protected], thank you Elizabeth Saunders president of American Derringer Corp.
Old August 5, 2008, 11:55 AM   #16
Joat

Pretty definitive that AD is still around.

Joat
Old August 5, 2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Playboypenguin

elizabeth saunders

I do not believe you are who you say. I challenge you to prove me wrong by sending me one free American Derringer M-1 .38spl free of charge. Pvt me for FFL and address. Go on...I dares ya'.

PS: Stag grips preferred but not required.
Old August 5, 2008, 03:19 PM   #18
DrLaw

I'd settle for a photo!

The Doc is out now.
Old August 5, 2008, 04:24 PM   #19
rogertc1

I have a poster of Liz in my gun room from when I stopped at Wayco way back when... Great to hear youall are still well and running. I really have to get my camera going.
Cobra Derringers ...LOL naw that is junk.
Old November 10, 2010, 01:49 PM   #20
DC31

I broke a grip on my Mod 1 a while back, called and called and fianally got an awnser. They were rude and offered a new set for close to 100 dollars. It is still in my safe till today without grips. Its very hard to blieve those little grips are 1/3 of the price of the whole derringer. ~~Gus

Last edited by DC31; November 10, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old November 12, 2010, 03:13 AM   #21
HoraceHogsnort

Derringers have been romanticised by Hollywood.
Old November 12, 2010, 12:50 PM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

OK - folks, rather than a meaningless back and forth - I'm going to close this.

If the company is back up and wants to post that, contact the mods with a way we can verify and we will be happy to let the world know.

Derringers are fun for what they do, so let's hope we get another player back in business.

Closed