The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 3, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Saab1911

Trigger of Ruger Mk III compared to that of Browning Buckmark.

Last Saturday, I was waiting around for a cease fire after my range session.
I had shot my Ruger Mk III and wanted to take the targets down. I hate it
when other people leave without taking their targets down. So, I make sure
to take mine down even if it means waiting a while for the next cease fire.

The guy in the next stall asks me if I want to try his Browning Buckmark. So,
I try his Buckmark, and the trigger was so much lighter than the trigger on
my Ruger Mk III.

Is the trigger on the Ruger Mk III heavy because of the goofy magazine
disconnect safety? If so, how easy is it to remove the magazine disconnect
safety?

Cheers,

jae
22lr: Ruger Mk III/45
Old November 3, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Citizen Carrier

The mag disconnect may be a factor in the trigger pull.

Rather than remove it, the first thing I would do is install a Volquartsen trigger and match sear. The trigger will allow you to remove most of the pre-travel and nearly all of the overtravel as well. The sear is polished and will reduces friction, resistance in the mechanism.

But yes, there is a way to turn a Mk III into a Mk II internally. I've done it twice. Once with one of mine I used to own and a friend's.

You'll need to swap out the Mk III hammer with a Mk II hammer. Those might be harder to get from Ruger these days. Last I heard, they were limiting the shipping of these parts because they knew that was what people were using them for.

Rather than fuss with getting a factory Mk II part (unless you know of an easy source), you could just order a lightened match Mk II hammer made by Volquartsen. That'll do the job fine.

The mag disconnect safety consists of a wire spring, which is easily discarded.

You'll also need a Mk II hammer bushing. This is a disc/washer-looking piece with a small step in the center that provides seperation for the internal parts and fits into the recess in the hammer. There's a few ways to do this.

Cheapest is to use place a thin, flat washer that approximates the diameter and thickness you need. I found one in a bolt bin in the motor pool of a National Guard armory I was working at. Such things are common.

Or you could attempt to get a factory Mk II bushing.

Or, you could go the most elegant route and order an oversized match hammer bushing from Clark's Custom Guns. It's on their website. You have to press fit it (I had to lightly tap it into the hammer with a...hammer). It supposedly removes slop and loseness from the internal parts.

This stuff sounds much more complicated than it is. Especially if you aren't all that familiar with the internal workings of the gun.

Like I said, just try the sear and trigger first.
Old November 3, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
PSP

I've swapped my Buckmark for Rugers at the range a few times. Which model Ruger they had I do not know, but every one of them commented on the Buckmarks superior trigger. I go out of my way now to offer it to Ruger shooters when I notice them, just to get their reaction.
Old November 3, 2008, 02:24 PM   #4
tom234

The magazine disconnect doesn't affect trigger pull. When you install a VQ match trigger and sear and you will notice a substancial difference.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html
Old November 3, 2008, 10:14 PM   #5
jakeswensonmt

New Buckmarks also have a mag disconnect, and their trigger pull is still lighter than the Ruger.
Old November 4, 2008, 03:20 AM   #6
actionflies

The Buckmark stock trigger is much better than the Ruger MKIII stock trigger. If you install the VQ sear, it will take the trigger down to 2lb. I hate the mag disconnect but it will cost at least $25 to change to part.
Old November 4, 2008, 05:32 AM   #7
darkgael

trigger

The Buckmark has a superior stock trigger. The advice about the Volquartsen parts is spot on. Installation is very easy to do.
Pete
Old November 4, 2008, 06:00 AM   #8
gopack

Out of the box the Buck Mark trigger is crisper than the MKIII. I don't recall the trigger being lighter, just less pretravel and a bit crisper. I've put VQ triggers and sears in my Rugers and have triggers that are lighter and as crisp as the Buck Mark. Now for the Heggis flip on the BM to lighten it.

I don't think the MKIII mag disconnect affects the trigger. It does drag on the hammer, which is seen by the need to push the hammer forward, instead of letting it fall forward, during reassembly.
Old December 26, 2008, 04:03 PM   #9
btolliverjr

In order to eliminate the mag disconnect safety in the MKIII is it necessary to replace the parts? In this link http://scromp.net/ruger/Site/HOWTO.html it shows simply to remove the disconnect lever and spring then re-assemle! No replacement parts needed?
Old December 26, 2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Pilot

I have three MK II's and have replaced the trigger and sears in each with Volquartsen parts. The triggers are GREAT now. I like the Rugers better than the Buckmark. Nothing wrong with the Buckmarks though. Great guns.
Old December 26, 2008, 09:39 PM   #11

I bought Buckmark because the superior trigger. I did the sear spring flip trick and I think the trigger pull is around 2 lbs.