The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Where do you shoot?
Public range 35 35.00%
Private range or Gun Club 41 41.00%
On my property 27 27.00%
Other (please specify) 18 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
CortJestir

Where do you shoot?

I just joined a local Gun Club for the private use of their range facilities and the general gun-related hobnobbing that goes around at such clubs. Up until now, I've been shooting mainly at public ranges, paying an annual membership instead of a per-visit charge.

I joined because the club offers so much more and for typically less than the public places around here. In addition, the members are very active in shooting (clearly) as well as advocating as a group our 2a rights here in CT. The club offers an indoor 8-lane pistol range, a 50-yard outdoor pistol/rifle range, a 100/200 yard high-power rifle range, and hunting and archery to boot. There's also a lake stocked with trout across the road. Most importantly, there is greater safety afforded at such a place. I had been growing more and more concerned about the unsafe practices seen at the public ranges I frequent.

I'm curious to know where you all shoot or prefer to shoot. Please share any details about your preferred ranges and clubs.
Old June 8, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I shoot mostly at my dad's property but I am also a member of a private outdoor range and a private indoor range. I strongly prefer shooting on our own property.
Old June 8, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3
JWT

Trap: Private club
Handgun: Private indoor range
Rifle: Public range
Old June 8, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Ian0351

Dept. Natural Resources public use land... for now. Thinking about joining the private club about half an hour south of here this fall... tired of mall ninjas and unsafe idiots at the unregulated former gravel pit I am currently using.

Semper Fidelis
Old June 8, 2009, 12:50 PM   #5
raftman

Some forested public land, it's free and it's really a decent spot. There's quite a few stumps, and a couple of fallen trees that serve as good places to put targets on, all at a variety of distances up to a few hundred feet, there's a nice grouping of trees from which to to affix a tarp for shelter in the event of rain, plus there's a nice high bank at the distant end to absorb any stray shots, followed by a steep rise in elevation which provides an added degree of safety. I've not seen any unsafe idiots there, in fact, I've never seen any other people shooting at that spot at all, just heard shots in the distance on one occasion. I know other people use that spot however, because there's always a good amount of spent cartridges scattered here and there.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Public ranges are closer to me than my gun club so I typically shoot handguns locally and my rifles at the gun club.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Tophe

I shoot at a private out door range. They have 2 pistol ranges, A 25/50 yd pistol/small rifle range, a 250 yd high power range, and a skeet shooting range. They also have an archery range, special purpose range, and an indoor range for pellet guns in the winter.
Old June 8, 2009, 02:09 PM   #8
NGIB

I'm a member of an indoor range at my local gunstore. Public ranges always make me nervous...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old June 8, 2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Vergeltung

public, outdoor range, w/ ranges from 10 feet to 300 yards.
Old June 8, 2009, 02:58 PM   #10
TailGator

Indoor range (air conditioned, Florida!) about five minutes from my house. Nothing great, but the equipment works and the people are friendly.
Old June 8, 2009, 03:07 PM   #11
Doodlebugger45

It varies. Most of my shooting I do on the BLM land that makes up most of my state. It's very secluded and safe and convenient that way. Once in awhile though for sighting in or whenever I have need for a true bench rest with targets measured off, I go to the public range a couple miles away. It only costs $25/year and if I go in the middle of a weekday I have never seen another person there. I do have the space to shoot right behind my house, but I only have 5 acres there. I have BLM lands adjoining, so safety isn't an issue, but out of respect for my neighbors, I don't shoot anything loud there. It's kind of handy for shooting a 22 or something, but for extended sessions I like to drive into the hills where I won't bother anyone.
Old June 8, 2009, 03:15 PM   #12
Nate1778

Anywhere I can find. Mostly local public indoor range, on occasion head out to the country for open land shooting on a buddies property.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Tucker 2

BLM land.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #14
4INCHSMITH

I shoot at a private club when I want to measure groups and be sure about the distance I am shooting at, but I'm only allowed to shoot paper targets there. I go to my grandpas tree farm when I want to shoot jugs of water or sheets of tempered glass (made an awsome coffee table for a friend that way).
Old June 8, 2009, 05:54 PM   #15
armsmaster270

I detest ranges unless I can lease them for Half a day too many restrictions due to liabilaty which I can understand but I do a lot of rapid fire, double taps and hip shooting which does not go at public ranges so I go to the boonies and take a spool of parachute cord and a bunch of bowling pins and have a ball.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:20 PM   #16
PhoenixConflagration

I have a membership to a public indoor range. It's well lit, well-ventilated, and the rules are reasonable. Plus I get a discount on ammo as a member.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:47 PM   #17
CortJestir

Quote:
I detest ranges unless I can lease them for Half a day too many restrictions due to liabilaty
Indeed. Sadly one of the public ranges I sometimes go to will only let you benchrest rifles now - no other positions (standing, sitting, prone, etc.) It has to do with pending litigation against the range. It really limits what and how you can shoot. Too bad too, it's a pretty nice range.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:15 PM   #18
Tucker 1371

My grandparents have 60 acres (bought in 1960's for beef cattle) so we have a few berms built up that we can shoot into. Problem is we're limited to around 25yds because of the configuration of the property.

There's the Floyd County Wildlife Assoc. (FCWA) that has a range out to 300yds but the membership there is $150/year and they've started to go back on some of their former policies such as allowing a guest to come with you. I'm currently looking for a new range.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old June 8, 2009, 07:34 PM   #19
smoakingun

right here at the house. Two ranges, 300yd rifle, 25yd pistol
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:43 PM   #20
liberty1

BLM or National forest for me. I have a public free range 10 minutes from work but I really prefer to be alone. 15 minutes puts me on BLM so that is what I do most of the time.
Old June 8, 2009, 08:01 PM   #21
Jofaba

The South Berwick Rod & Gun Club for me. I plan on having my own range on my own land once I get it in probably around 5 years.
Old June 8, 2009, 09:42 PM   #22
rcurry

In my own backyard.
Old June 8, 2009, 09:48 PM   #23
Dave R

"Other"

Mostly "out in the desert," I.e. BLM land.

I'll visit the range when I'm developing a load or sghting in a scope, but the desert is just more fun for just about everything else.
Old June 9, 2009, 07:19 AM   #24
yourang?

i prefer to go into the woods....state land
lots around and no people

i belong to a club but it is three times farther
than the the woods and usually has events in the evenings/weekends