The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2001, 08:29 PM   #1
Hard Ball

I hear rumors about an new shooting stance, the CAR, is being taught in the Border Patrol Training Acadamey and by a few other law enforcement agencies. Supposedly it offers superior accuracy and weapon control. Has anyone seen it used and if so, is it really that good?
Old January 22, 2001, 08:05 AM   #2
Matt VDW

The CAR? Does this involve using a motor vehicle for support?

Seriously, though, if someone has come up with a new and improved stance, I'd like to see it.
Old January 22, 2001, 11:22 AM   #3
Coronach

I think its used for drive-bys...

Mike
Old January 22, 2001, 12:31 PM   #4
Hard Ball

I see that I used an acronym without defining it. Sorry about that! CAR stands for Center Axis Relock system. My information is limited to what I heard from a fellow shooter who saw a recently.
It is a two handed shooting technique stance developed by an Englishman named Castle. It is intended to correct the inherent flaws he sees in tboth he Weaver and the isosoles stances. The pistol is gripped in the shooter's strong hand and brought to the center of the body. The pistol is brought to the center of the upper body and the shooting hand rotated inward and is brought closer to the shooters face to what is called the "natural focal point" of the shooter's eyes. The free hand grips the hand holding the pistol/ The supporting arm is sharply bent with the forearm nearly vertical.
Because of the position of the pistol most shooters use the left eye to aim concentrating on the front sight.
Our conversation was not at the range so I have not seen it done or tried it out. Stil. it sounds wonderful. so if it ever quits raining I wil try it out the next tome I go shooting.
Old January 22, 2001, 12:38 PM   #5
Dave R

Always willing to try something new. I'm not sure I got the picture right from your description. If you can get an illustration or more info, please post. Sounds interesting.
Old January 22, 2001, 12:41 PM   #6
cocojo

The new Car system is a good one just received info on this shooting system. Plan on attending his class or bring him up to NH. I tryed it out last week and shot about four hundred rounds, not quite as accurate yet, but it definitly is superior. When I went back to my old ways it felt odd and old fasion and slower. I must say I like this system. He is only teach LE's so I hear at this time. Has an impressive background in England.
Old January 22, 2001, 12:46 PM   #7
RazorsEdge

Quite frankly, sounds like a load of crap.

Under pressure, the only "stance" is to stay balanced. To help natural ability, take martial arts or dancing lessons.

gun arm goes out and up till taut like ball on string. Keep gun indexed where body is facing, and always face threat.

Use support hand if possible, don't sweat it if not. NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR DRILL THAT IS NOT VERY CLOSE TO NATURAL BODY REACTIONS!

Weaver has its uses, but it is not a "pure" pistol technique. It uses isometric tension to utilize weapon as a pistol/carbine.

Old January 22, 2001, 01:36 PM   #8
ctdonath

The pistol is gripped in the shooter's strong hand and brought to the center of the body. The pistol is brought to the center of the upper body and the shooting hand rotated inward and is brought closer to the shooters face to what is called the "natural focal point" of the shooter's eyes.

So...the shooter shoots himself between the eyes? Doesn't sound healthy.

You might want to re-word the description, or provide a picture.
Old January 22, 2001, 02:50 PM   #9
Payette Jack

I get it

I've actually been using something of a "CAR"-Weaver hybrid for years. The biggest advantage is finding your own natural focal point and getting the support hand closer to the body. I don't know about rotating the hand inward, although in trying it here in my living room it feels pretty natural.

I'll give it a try next time at the range.
Old January 22, 2001, 04:10 PM   #10
jtduncan

Sounds like a heavily modified Weaver. But I question whether a gun at center is a good idea. It blocks view of the target. I'll stick to Weaver that way I can go toe to toe too!
Old January 22, 2001, 04:27 PM   #11
RazorsEdge

Hold on, guys!

"The shooting hand is rotated inward"???

Is this holding it sideways like the boys 'n the hood? (Or every limpdick Hollywood director?)

No, seriously, I have a LOT OF PROBLEMS with anybody who has years of a certain style training trying to convert to something radical. Even after two years of the new style,
if the SHTF, you CAN go vaporlock! Think about it!

Even if this gives better long distance accuracy, so what? Close, personal, and FAST is the essence of pistol combat.

I've been doing this stuff for thirty years and weird stuff comes and go, but the BASICS ABIDE.
Old January 22, 2001, 04:40 PM   #12
RH

Sorry, you lost me with "developed by an Englishman ".

bwwaaahaaahaaaa
Old January 22, 2001, 05:01 PM   #13
Daniel Watters

Any bets whether the creator of the stance is near-sighted and cross-dominant? However, a very close to the face Weaver was used by Ross Seyfried to win his World IPSC title (1980?). Seyfried was the last person to win the title with a non-comped, non-scoped service pistol, predating the creation of IPSC Standard Division.
Old January 22, 2001, 05:11 PM   #14
RazorsEdge

So, most of these guys are using a different eye to shoot CAR than what they plan on using for shotgun/rifle?

Hmmm.

Well, at least that might help somebody's evaluation on inclusiveness and diversity. So it must be a good thing.
Old January 22, 2001, 06:23 PM   #15
ViKing

1) Create new stance.

2) Using System Analysis, create complete new "method" based on #1 above.

3) Buy lunch for brass in LE and Govt, make pitch for method. Develop potential client list. Invite to private range near Vegas for 3 day demo and seminar. Includes food and lodging at the Luxor, shuttle service to and from the range.

4) Sell contracts for "training" to LE and Govt.

5) Take bored gun writers to lunch, offer free training. Positive columns appear like magic in gun rags. Prepared articles titled "45 Colt or 45ACP, which one to sh%!can" and "32 magnum, enough gun for grandma" will have to wait till the June or July issue.

6) Sell "training" classes, books, and videos using above method to the general public. "As taught to the ___ State Police and XXXX agents".

7) Method is now an accepted standard. Expand training facilities, license satellite offices. Sell more training.
Old January 22, 2001, 06:46 PM   #16
riverdog

Oh No!!!

I'm only using a Weaver ... I feel so under-schooled because of my lack of training in the CAR stance. My self-esteem is at a new low. Is there a video I can buy?

No way will I start shooting left eye dominant or hold the pistol so my nose acts as a recoil check. After what the Brits have gone thru ... ohh, he's only teaching LE (in England?). Yeah, this is starting to make sense now.

Pass.

[Edited by riverdog on 01-22-2001 at 08:13 PM]
Old January 22, 2001, 06:49 PM   #17
Ironbarr

Hmmm...

RazorsEdge... I thought the same thing. (Always wondered where all the brass went in those horizontal attitudes.)

ViKing... you forgot correspondance courses @ $350 a pop.

I'll wait until y'all shed some feedback, okay?

-Andy
Old January 22, 2001, 07:10 PM   #18
dvc

This sounds like a perversion of a 'rock and lock' mouse gun stance melded with Jim Cirillo's Geometric Nose point.

While Cirillo's technique has merit, this 'CAR' stance sounds like a load of pretentious horse exhaust.
Old January 22, 2001, 09:32 PM   #19
DAKODAKID

Oh yeah, the Englishman named Castle, I think
I have heard of him,
now correct me If I am wrong
but...
wasn't he the bloke
who taught the Bobbies who were unarmed to yell..
"Stop thief or I'll yell stop again"!!!!
Sounds like the same guy....
Old January 22, 2001, 10:02 PM   #20
justice4all

No thanks. I don't know what kind of stance I use, but it feels natural, and I can hit what I need to. If TSHTF. who has time to do anything but what comes natural? Plus, left eye? What?
Old January 22, 2001, 11:03 PM   #21
Brasso

Here's a bit of advice... Shoot the way you feel comfortable and quit worrying about it.
Old January 23, 2001, 12:12 AM   #22
glockcop

CAR

you people sure have alot of negative opinions before you even know what the man is talking about. if anyone gets police marksman there is a brief article about CAR in the most recent issue. the FBI and US Border Patrol is teaching cadets this method along with many other departments across the country. i will be attending the class put on by the Houston SWAT next month. i`m not knocking anyones style but unless you have actually tried something then you have no right to criticize. what works for you may not work for me and vice versa.

glockcop
Old January 23, 2001, 02:20 AM   #23
blades67

This is not a "new" system, I have been using a stance much as described for more than eight years. I am left hand / right eye dominant and using a modified Weaver stance with my pistol canted almost 45 degrees to starboard. I guess I just failed to market my stance before somebody else did.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old January 23, 2001, 06:41 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

....new stance......increased recoil control.......blah blah blah.......

And in a real SHTF I will have time only to draw weak-hand and shoot from a speed-rock.

Whatever...
Old January 23, 2001, 10:26 AM   #25
RazorsEdge

Dear Mr. Glockcop,

I certainly must plead guilty to adopting a note of sarcasm that I normally try hard to avoid in posting. And, yes, old farts do resist the new, and are unlikely to see value in the new.

That said, I must repeat that A) I have seen similiar styles come and go at least twice, and B)it is incredibly dangerous to monkey around with a "style of the week". It can cause fatal confusion if the SHTF.

Human physiology hasn't changed in the 140 plus years since cartridge handguns came into use. If this stuff worked, we would probably already be doing it.

This technique probably does have advantages in specific limited conditions, but pistolcraft must work in all conditions.

Take a routine traffic stop gone bad. You probably should drop your clipboard or flashlight, but you for damn sure don't have time to think about it and so you probably clench it tightly as you try to draw and shoot one handed as you run backwards at angle to get into the rear dead zone of a '83 Chevy. Or, you are trying to get some rounds off as you lunge for cover or as you got one foot up on the down staircase.

In these circumstances, the last thing in the world you need is the belief that you need to get into some bureaucratic wetdream of the "correct" stance.