The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2001, 09:41 PM   #1
ahenry

I was in a gun shop the other day looking at a Karh 9mm and a gentleman there showed me a Kel Tec 40. I am more a 40 cal. fan than a 9mm and I was wondering if any of you had heard (good or bad) of this gun or even manufacturer before as they are new to me. Anybody?? Thanks
Old January 25, 2001, 10:05 PM   #2
rblack

I have the Kel-Tec P11 which is the 9mm version and like it very much for what it was designed. I had the P40 which is what you are referring to and the recoil was very sharp, and have heard some say the .40 is not as reliable. They seem to be very popular guns for their purpose. I've had mine for about 2 years and it is very reliable and fairly accurate.
Old January 25, 2001, 10:33 PM   #3
Airborne

Kel-what?
Old January 25, 2001, 11:10 PM   #4
dZ

never heard of 'em

http://www.ktog.org/

a gotta love a gun with an owners group website!

dZ
Old January 25, 2001, 11:33 PM   #5
justice4all

I too have the P11, and I love it. I haven't tried the .40, but I imagine it would kick like a crazed mule. The 9mm is bad enough, but manageable, and IMO a great concealed handgun.

If you're not looking for a gun to carry concealed, get something bigger and heavier, and you'll have a better gun for regular practice.
Old January 25, 2001, 11:52 PM   #6
Steve Smith

I have a P-32...I'm pretty happy with it for what it is! Their service is great!
Old January 26, 2001, 12:00 AM   #7
ehenz

An outstanding light walter weight pistol. Want an outstanding super lightweight pistol, check out the P-32. Kel-tec, Great bang, and reliablilty for the buck. Great for CCW too.
Old January 26, 2001, 07:39 AM   #8
PLASTIC SIG

Kel-Tec's rock!

I cant imagine what recoil would be like in .40 though

If you are comparing the Kahr with the Kel-Tec, theres a world of difference. I have a 9MM keltec and love it. I never had any interest in a Kahr. Its heavy, expensive, and you dont gain any ammo capacity over the Keltec (actually less I think)

To answer your question. Most all of us like the keltecs. Welcome to TFL!

Tim
Old January 26, 2001, 07:41 AM   #9
shooter.45

I also have a Kel-Tec P32 and love it great little gun and there Cust. Service is great.
Old January 26, 2001, 08:59 AM   #10
David Scott

Kel-Tecs are made in Cocoa, FL about an hour away from me. My wife has the P32 and it's a little gem.
Old January 26, 2001, 12:28 PM   #11
CJF

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if those of you with the Kel-Tec P32's could give me a little info? I am thinking of buying one to carry as my "summertime" CCW. Are they fairly accurate for this purpose? Also how reliable are they (jams, misfires etc)?

Thanks,
Chris
Old January 26, 2001, 01:39 PM   #12
EricM

The P11 is my carry weapon.
Old January 26, 2001, 02:01 PM   #13
Ledbetter

Welcome to TFL CJF

The p-32 is a great little gun. For $20, the factory will hard chrome the slide and function test the gun. Go to this site to find out all you want, including how to smooth up the action with some 600 grit sandpaper and some patience.

http://ktog.org/reviews-p32.htm
http://ktog.org/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

I have the belt clip for mine, just clips inside the waistband and disappears.

Regards.
Old January 26, 2001, 02:01 PM   #14
frbank6

I carry a P-32 in a pocket holster all the time in the summer, and occasionally in the cooler months when I carry a P7. As to reliability, I had a few problems at first(first 100 rounds), but after some careful polishing I've had no further problems. It's recoil seem much less that the Beretta Tomcat I had once. Accuracy-wise, it's no P7, but it's not meant to be. Remember what its niche is and you won't be dissappointed.
Old January 26, 2001, 02:24 PM   #15
BloodyThumb

P32 response

OK...... Here's my two cents worth. First of all, I can only speak for the ONE that I have........ but having said that.

The facts.....

I have owned a Seecamp .32 for several years. Never a moments trouble..... I have fired it quite a bit, and carried it extensively in the extreme heat of summer, but NEVER as a primary. It's still a .32

I am a firm believer in the "you get what you pay for" school of thought, but also fully realize there are exceptions.... both positive and negative.

I have talked with several people who owned the Kel-Tec P32, and spoke very highly of it. I was skeptical. The more I heard and read, the more I thought I should try one.

About a month ago........ I bought one.

The opinions (about the one I happened to get).

Feed ramp was pretty rough when I got it. I took the Dremel and some polishing compound to it and it polished up very nicely. It may have been un necessary, but it just "needed to be done". At this point I have fired about 500 rounds through it. 400 of Fiocchi (spelling?) JHP's, and 100 Silvertips. It has been 100%. No failures to feed, extract, eject, or lock open after last round. It is accurate enough to bounce around coke cans out at 15 yards or so, but I have not tried shooting groups. That just seems like a pretty un natural thing to do with this little pistol.

Two minor complaints. The paint that in the little channel that constitutes a rear sight, came off during the first range session. A little de-greaser and some yellow sight paint fixed that right up. The other is the placement of the magazine release. People have bad mouthed the heel release on the Seecamp, and stated the 1911 like placement of the mag release on the Kel Tec is superior. I disagree. This little pistol was designed to be carried close to the body..... in a pants pocket, in a vest pocket, in "Thunderwear", etc. and the 1911 style mag release has a tendency to OFTEN cause the mag to be disengaged when removed from these close quarters....... Never a problem with the heel release on my Seecamp.

All in all, I consider THIS ONE at least to be one of those pleasant surprises where you get more than you pay for!

I ordered replacment springs and another mag from Kel-Tec, so I guess that means I'm gonna keep it.

Hope that helps a little.....

BT

Old January 26, 2001, 02:40 PM   #16
frbank6

Something else that bears mentioning. Ashley Express sights are now available for the P-32. If it needs anything to improve its accuracy, its new sights.
Old January 26, 2001, 04:21 PM   #17
N2GUNZ

Kel-Tek

I have a P32 and I love it!!
Old January 26, 2001, 05:26 PM   #18
ahenry

Thanks for all the response. I am certainly going to have to go check out a P-32. This would really fit a niche that is a little thin in my collection.
Old January 26, 2001, 05:41 PM   #19
CJF

Yes, thank you all for the responses, I think my mind is made up. I'm gonna try one out.

-----------
Chris