The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2002, 05:21 AM   #1
what, another gun?

charles daly shotgun

Does anyone have a charles daly 12 ga poly semi auto shotgun? I saw one at WallyWorld for $299 and they have a great warranty, but i was wondering about their reliability. I've read the old threads here on their shotguns in general... seems to be an OK gun, but I'd like to know recent experience with it.
thanks, Tom
Old April 30, 2002, 08:04 PM   #2
coonan357

have one at my disposal ( brother owns it , I clean it ) they shoot good , but are a bit noisy on the mechanical side , easy to disassemble and clean , we have not had a problem with it in the last several years he owned it , other than he has gotten lazy and didn't clean it and the wadding residue was really thick in the barrel , it is a simple design , no aftermarket parts made for it( stocks) for the price its a decent buy . I'm getting one when I go back to work .

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old May 1, 2002, 07:15 PM   #3
what, another gun?

Thanks for your note...I went ahead and got it...shoots flawlessly (100 rd so far). 28" barrel. Like the way it shoulders and sights. Mine isn't noisy...maybe they've changed them a little.
Tom
Old May 2, 2002, 09:33 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I looked at one of these today. 20 Guage. I was surprised as to how light it was. Its lighter than my Nova. By a good degree.
300 bucks for a new auto. Not bad.
As light as it was, it looked and felt as if it was very well made.
Give it ghost rings, an 18.5 inch barrel, and a 6 to 8 round capacity and I would have picked it up.
Old May 2, 2002, 10:08 PM   #5
what, another gun?

I was out shooting trap with it this evening and sure like it. Their warranty says they will pick it up at their expense and return it at their expense after repair.... lifetime too, if anything goes wrong with it. I'll post a thread if anything goes wrong with it, but nothing so far. I cleaned it also, and it seems very well made. Not bad for a semi-auto.
Tom
Old May 3, 2002, 05:49 PM   #6
coonan357

well to date we have over 5000 rounds thru it ranging from buckshot to slugs , the noise Iwas talking about is the spring on the slide , it was a bit noisy for my tastes but then again when you are wearing muffs you cannot hear it . just when you shoot with out them , I like it my brother wants to modify it to look like a police style weapon , sound like george has beaten him in thinking , we are looking in to modifying it for more capacity . he wants a drum feed , i don't want to have to try to make it work .

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old May 3, 2002, 07:03 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Drum feed? He wants to loose the guns flexability? Interesting.
Tell him to buy a one of those russian guns and give the C.D. to you.
Old May 4, 2002, 12:10 AM   #8
JAMES L.SMITH

I"m still crying from last week.I"v been trying to trade or buy my brother-in-laws Ruger77-338Win. Mag..I laid out 5 of my shotguns,he picked the CD AUTO-POINTER!I liked the way it mounted,it was like part of my arm.