The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 5, 2002, 08:46 PM   #1
JimFromFL

What is a Double Action Style Trigger

The Mossberg 590 has a Double Action Style Trigger. What is this and is Mossberg the only shotgun with it?
Old June 5, 2002, 10:14 PM   #2
KSFreeman

It's a technically a misnomer. However, everyone knows what it means.

Double action originally meant the weapon could be fired two different ways--cocking the hammer or pulling the trigger. When most people say "double action" they mean "trigger cocking" (i.e. pulling the trigger cocks the hammer). The pull is longer, stiffer and, at first, more awkward until you get it sorted out (you get to shoot--yeah).

Mossberg put a longer, heavier trigger on their shotguns to sell to mall ninjas whose policicrats are worried about liability from cops shooting each other or the wrong persons with NDs. Rather than give their men training, policicrats always seek magic swords over instruction. You see, training costs money whereas magic does not cost as much.

If it sells for Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, HK, FN, etc. will market one as well.

However, if you follow Rule #3, which as a TFLer you must now do always, you do not need the policicrat trigger.

If you like it, buy 4 of them and get to school. See you out there.
Old June 6, 2002, 04:48 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

KS nailed it, Jim. It's an attempt to solve a software problem with hardware.

Triggers on my 870s run 3-4 lbs. This atrocity goes into double digits.If ever someone comes after me with a shotgun, I hope it has this DA trigger and is equipped with a PG only.

IOW, it's harder to shoot accurately.
Old June 6, 2002, 12:43 PM   #4
nascarnhlnra

I find it completely useless on a shotgun ! Won't win any speed contests in any situation either.:barf:
Old June 11, 2002, 08:42 AM   #5
CMichael

I just want to make it clear that it is only on some of Mossberg's shotguns.

Michael
Old June 12, 2002, 06:19 AM   #6
JIH

Also, to further clarify, it's only on Mossbergs 590DA model. It's not on the 590 or 590A1 models.

Personally, i'm in favor of introducing new cops to guns in a field, with everyone else behind a wall. All guns should have extremely light triggers. If the numbnuts picks one up and it goes off, then he doesn't get to be a cop.