The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2002, 05:00 PM   #1
bkd

charles daly 12 gauge auto field test

Hey all i just brought home the daly 12 auto and went out back for some informal shooting. Initial feelings were its light, trim, and points well. I then took some 2 3/4 no. 6 and 7 1/2 shot shells and started shooting the thing.
Its a little hard to load until you do it a few times because you have to hold the bolt release in to get shells in.
bolt movement was fairly smooth with little or no play in the parts.
after about 25 or so rounds it never failed to function or fire 100 percent reliable so far.
it shoots to the point of aim very well for me, just a little low but that is probly my fault seeing how i dont shoot scatterguns that much, it will be something that will come with time, {probly a little flinch in there too}
recoil is very mild and not at all bothersome
only one minor complaint here, the screw in chokes tend to work loose after a few shots any suggestions on this problem? maybe need to torqe it down a little more.
so far this seems like a very good shotgun for the money and i am really very impressed with it for only 299.
Old June 10, 2002, 07:58 AM   #2
Clemson

The one piece of advice that I would give you is to buy a little tube of choke tube lubricant. Every gun that I ever shot tended to have the tubes loosen a little at the range. Just reach up and cinch 'em back down occasionally (with the gun unloade, of course!). You will probably notice before one unscrews more than a turn, and usually it is just an eighth of a turn or so that it backs out. The lubricant is essential because as the tube backs out a little, gasses from firing get into the threads, and they can seize the tube tighter than you can imagine after your shooting session. The stuff only costs a few bucks, and I find that one application lasts virtually all season.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com