The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 25, 2002, 07:38 PM   #1
enkidu

CA, SF Bay Area Shoot: Monday, Sept. 2, 2002

CA, SF Bay Area Shoot: Monday, Sept. 2, 2002

Announcing the fourth monthly "First Mondays" meeting of SF Bay Area Shooters. Thanks to sven for starting this tradition! As you can tell, most of this post is cribbed from his July announcement. The meeting will be at:

Reed's Indoor Range
1100 Duane Ave, Santa Clara
(408) 970-9870

Monday, September 2nd, 2002
7:00 - 9:00 PM

Directions (also a map):

Take Highway 101 to Santa Clara (South from SF, North from San Jose)
Exit San Tomas Expressway (East)
...Immediately get into left-most lane....
Turn Left onto Scott
...stay in left lane...
Turn left onto Jay
...hooks to the right and becomes Duane (Frontage Road to 101)...
Reed's is down about half a mile on the Right Side.

Notes:

We had a great turnout last month. Let's continue the trend of increasing turnout this month.

No steel or aluminum casings are allowed. Rifles are allowed if in a Pistol Caliber. This is a well-lit 25 yard indoor range, 20 lanes. $15/hour for two people, $10 for singles. Reed's seems generous with the definition of 'hour'. Fully stocked store with ammo, and anything else you might need. Nice folks. If it's your first time there, you can print and fill out the release form beforehand. The form also has the range rules on the second page.

EnkiduEOT
Old August 25, 2002, 08:56 PM   #2
sven

Looking forward to it.

I should have my new grips on the CZ by then...

More Photos

Mmmmm.

-sven
Old August 26, 2002, 01:08 AM   #3
enkidu

My PCR is back from mike at cz-usa with it's trigger job. Very sweet. Thinking about getting a pair of Hakan's for my 97.

EnkiduEOT
Old August 29, 2002, 05:34 AM   #4
Hand_Rifle_Guy

I went digging.

Rooted up one of my antique Colt Lightning pump rifles in .44-40, and about a box and a half of ammo.

This rifle was almost a solid mass of rust when I bought it. Careful dis-assembly and a lot of diligent scrubbing un-froze the action. The bore was actually still in good shape. It looked like this gun had gotten wet while inside a gunsock.

It's only pitted on the outside. It shoots GREAT! Worn internal parts make it a bit cantankerous when feeding, but I try not slam-fire it empty as fast as I can run that two-inch stroke. It IS 118 years old after all. Senior citizens should be treated with respect.

It's a neat old gun. The envy of the Cowboy set. I'll bring it along.

Uhh...the range IS open on Labor Day, yes? Would be embarrassing to wind up milling around in the parking lot, and the local gendarmarie wouldn't appreciate impromptu target shooting, no matter what we let them shoot.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old August 29, 2002, 01:40 PM   #5
enkidu

Just called them (408-970-9870) and they'll be open on Labor day. Whew!

EnkiduEOT
Old August 29, 2002, 04:56 PM   #6
sven

HRG:

Off-topic:

Any chance of getting a copy of Blacklisted from you? I've shown the "Target Guy" iMovie about a dozen times to my friends, who can't believe it... was that party held here in PA?

-steve
Old August 29, 2002, 06:36 PM   #7
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Sven:

Yes, (I hope.) and yes. Dubbing copies is handled by the folks with the equipment, and I've ben trying to get some more copies made up. Problem is, rocky employment situations have made creating the new master a bit tricky. Something about needing to pay rent interferering with time management, as I understand it. Regardless, you WILL get a copy by one means or another, if not Monday then soon after.

I don't get it. Since when does eating regularly matter in the Information Age? Where's Gore when you need 'im? Surely the guy who invented the Internet coulda invented Virtual chow alongside Virtual rent.

And uh, yeah, Winter Nights did happen here in Shallow Auschwitz/I mean Paly Alty. It's amazing what you can get done in this liberal swamp if you don't tell too many people in advance.

So you're spreading Target Guy around? Neat! I find DSL is very handy for that. Download time for that movie is measured in hours without broadband.

FYI, Target Guy is branching out. Just lately I wound up hanging by my feet from a tree, swinging back and forth in a hail of tuna salad. More silliness is planned. We shall be sure to include you in future iterations, should you so desire.

Showing Target Guy to friends? Local folks, I presume? *Blatant Plug* Anybody wanna join up? We welcome ANYONE with even the slightest interest in becoming a Fabulous Movie Star, and we are shooting segments about every five minutes. You don't gotta do stuff like Target Guy, although I'm always hunting for recruits to the League of Merry Target Men. (With almost NO takers. What, don't people enjoy having stuff winged at 'em by enthusiastic crowds?)

Back on topic, DSP is invading Reed's in force. Mondays are Company meeting days, so we're bringing most of the staff. That amounts to , uh... five other folks, including Mitch the Animal who just got a Ruger SRH in .454 Casull as his first personal handgun. (He's an experienced shooter of hand-cannons now, courtesy of my diverse collection.) I can't wait to shoot THAT one!

Monday should prove quite interesting. I'm getting impatient, now.

And wait until you see the grips I made for my Webley. They'll give your new CZ grips a run for their money.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old September 10, 2002, 04:02 PM   #8
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

Sounds like something worth checking out if you guys are making this a regular event. From the looks and sounds of things, my CZ-75 compact would have a couple of it's brothers to hang out with.

I usually shoot at Target Masters since it's closer to my house, but I like Reeds alot better, and it's 5 minutes from my work.

Speed Racer
Old September 10, 2002, 06:09 PM   #9
sven

We are doing this every month, for sure.

We had a great turnout this month... Hand_Rifle_Guy brought an ARSENAL as well as some really cool friends who I was happy to meet. I wanted to post a full update, but basically H_R_G lived up to his name, bringing all sorts of hand cannons to try out.

HRG's friend "M" was shooting .454 Casull (he was due to pick up his .454 the next day, so he shot the range gun), which caused the entire range to come over and check things out... I couldn't BELIEVE the .454... what a powerful round in a handgun. Amazing. Loud as hell. Fun to shoot.

Also shot HRG's vintage 44-long rifle, a now-illegal-to-buy Steyr wonder-9 with an 18 shot clip and gas-recoil system (?)... and the sad thing was there were literally 6 more guns we didn't get to try because the range closed at 9....

Reed's is starting a Monday night bullseye competition (sadly, same night as Targetmasters), so if you want to compete, pick up the flyers at the store and check it out. You can come to TFL night, check out for a minute and shoot in the competition, and then come back... no problem.

BEGIN REEDS WEBSITE RANT

Now, if Reed's had their ******* website together, I could have just posted a link to the competition info, but no.... no website for Reed's range yet (of any substance, anyhow). I gave them a proposal to update their website for FREE (in exchange for range time) and haven't heard back jack (yes or no), which is sorta frustrating, because I really do good work and want to get their site nailed.

Just finished Hakan's Custom Grips website, and hope to show this to the Reed's folks to maybe convince them that they could do better, but.... I'm not holding my breath.

END RANT

ANYHOW,

Who is in for next month?

-sven
Old September 12, 2002, 11:19 AM   #10
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

That is the one nice thing about Target Master's, the range is open until midnight. Let's me go home, have dinner, bathe my two-year-old and put him to bed and then still get to the range and have plenty of time to shoot.

I hope to make it, but my schedule is moment to moment lately. We're expecting our second child in December, and the doctors have my wife on bedrest. Kinda makes free time hard to come by for either of us.

If not now, sometime...

Speed Racer