The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 28, 2002, 12:41 PM   #1
Gumby853

Help me ID this revolver please

A friend of mine obtained this recently when his father passed away. Not being familer with older revolvers, and the fact that the only markings on it are the serial number, I was not able to provide him with any info about it. Can anyone here ID this for me? He is thinking about selling it and wanted to also know how much he could get for it. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt1.jpg (93.3 KB, 156 views)
Old August 28, 2002, 12:45 PM   #2
Gumby853

More Pics...

Old August 28, 2002, 12:46 PM   #3
jmlv

It appears to be either an "Army Special"

or its later incarnation the "Official Police" should be either a 22 or 38 caliber gun? about all I can do from the limited photo. new pictures indicate it would be a 38 special caliber. It should say on the barrel what model it is. The Army Special started production in early 1900's (1908 I think) and changed names to Official Police about 1928 - Same basic gun. It was an inprovment of the old army-navy model issued to the us army(moro falure gun in 38 long colt) Real good shooters has the same action as the Python and is usually as accurate. Later versions came with adj sights as an option (Officers Model Match) and some what later was updated to the 357 magnum caliber. these would be called the "357" and the "Trooper"
MOLON LABE!
Old August 28, 2002, 06:02 PM   #4
Gumby853

Jmlv - Thanks for the info. I failed to mention that it is a .38. However the strange part is that there are NO markings at all on the revolver other than the serial number (which is found in 2 places - shown rather poorly in the last photo). The serial number is: 509941. Can anyone else provide me any more information?
Old August 29, 2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

PLEASE READ REPLIES TO OTHER THREAD - - -

- - -in Firearms Research forum, at - -

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...78#post1152278

This type revolver appears to be a robust, medium-large frame gun, and in later years was made quite strong. The OLD ones are NOT.

Please read the above thread, for safety's sake.

Best,
Johnny Guest