The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 22, 2002, 09:32 PM   #1
Waterdog

Sniper has TOP GOVERNMENT CLEARANCES

How else is this guy able to evade roadblocks setup minutes after a shoot.

He has probably been stopped several times by LE, he just waves his credentials and they let him go without questioning.

I listen to scanners, and in more than several instances, I have heard dispatch advise officer to let person go, even after officer has found incriminating behaviour and material.

IMO

Waterdog
Old October 22, 2002, 09:37 PM   #2
4thHorseman

"Sniper has TOP GOVERNMENT CLEARANCES"

Gee Waterdog, that is some kind of speculation you have here.
Old October 22, 2002, 09:51 PM   #3
sully

Or perhaps he simply has a mobile scanner, and like you is listening to the chatter and knows which spots to avoid.
Old October 22, 2002, 09:54 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First off, what sniper? This yo-yo is shooting folks at 100 to 150 yards, which means he's about average for most rural 12-year olds. That ain't no sniper!

This murderer is obviously reasonably clever. He spots a target area, figures out some sort of escape route, and does his deal. At legal speeds, in four or five minutes he's a couple of miles away. It takes at least four or five minutes to get patrol cars into any sort of blocking position, and really, there ain't enough cars and cops.

And this perp is working an area just loaded with resident FBI, BATF, CIA, DIA, military, etc., etc., many of whom--I figure--have guns in their vehicles.

Let us avoid tinfoil hats, okay? And, yeah, none of the above proves some fed-gov-guy hasn't gone bonkers...

Art
Old October 22, 2002, 09:55 PM   #5
Christopher II

Not a chance in hell.
The sniper could be George effing Tenet for all we know, but there is absolutely no way he's using a USG security clearence to avoid checkpoints.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old October 22, 2002, 09:59 PM   #6
Zundfolge

Damn ... now I gotta run to the store and buy more tin foil
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old October 22, 2002, 10:08 PM   #7
4thHorseman

Old October 22, 2002, 10:10 PM   #8
twoblink

I find the tin foil works best with the shiny side facing out...
Old October 22, 2002, 10:17 PM   #9
MitchSchaft

Tinfoil hat Princess is at it again .
Old October 22, 2002, 10:31 PM   #10
Navy joe

Waterpooch, nice theory.

Here's the problem. I drove through a roadblock in my white pick-up with an AR-15 under the seat by courteously greeting the officer and in general looking normal. Anyone clever enough to pull off so many sucessful escapes can surely do the same. No special credentials needed.

Look around, with basic hunting exprience, knowledge of tactics and police operations most of us can probably select a shooting position and accurately predict roadblock locations and police response during the escape. That doesn't make us snipers or super-secret government agents. This guy is just scum with ok marksmanship abilities and excellent fieldcraft ability. At this point I'd have to say terrorist. Not everything is an evil government plot.
Old October 22, 2002, 11:01 PM   #11
TexasVet

How else is this guy able to evade roadblocks setup minutes after a shoot.

Let's see, so far they are getting the blocks up in about 5-10 minutes. At 30 MPH in 5 min (lets give them the quickest possible response time as a favor) he's 2 and a half miles away before they START setting up the blocks. If he hits the interstate as suspected at 55 MPH, he's about 4 1/2 to 5 miles away BEFORE they set up. And this takes a scanner, let alone a "top government clearance"????
Look, guys, it isn't hard to make a getaway, it happens every day all over the country, for all kinds of crimes. That's why there is a name for it! The only crooks who get caught at the scene of a crime are the STUPID ones who stay too long or run into something trying to get away. The halfway smart ones have to be tracked down, just like this guy. Almost every serial killer has been caught by LUCK, not by swift police work.
What you do
When it counts.
Old October 22, 2002, 11:06 PM   #12
Waterdog

We are assuming he isn't a trained sniper, because his shots would be considered mediocre by standards within the trained sniper community.

But, where does it say he has to shoot to his full pontential. He is smart enough to know, that a
sign of precision shooting, would surely indicate training, and would narrow the field of players.

He is hitting everything he is shooting at, and is
succeeding at creating chaos in the area.

I think hitting his target is secondary in importance, evasion is priority #1.

Yup!, just keep on refering to my TINFOIL HAT!

Waterdog
Old October 22, 2002, 11:23 PM   #13
El Rojo

Yeah I find it interesting that everyone is making a big deal about what a loser this guy is and how he isn't a "real sniper". Well I agree this guy is scum of the earth, but at the same time, he is 10 for 13 on his shooting to kill and he is 13 for 13 on getting away with it. His skills are worth respecting as he knows a little about what he is doing. Yeah, he is a low form of life on this earth when he finally gets caught, but right now, he is pretty much in control of the the situation.

The same thing applies to the 9/11 terrorists. We don't need to investigate them. We don't need to investigate "security lapses". The fact of the matter is the 9/11 terrorists had their heads screwed on straight and effectively took advantage of the current U.S. complacency to executre an extremely successful attack. Fortunately, their ability to carry out further attacks ended just minutes later when the passengers of Flight 93 stormed the cockpit. After Flight 93, the presendence of letting the terrorists control the situation ended. Look at the few examples of passengers getting rowdy or suspicious on aircraft sense. If air marshals don't take care of them, dozens of passengers are beating the crap out of and restraining those persons.

Call these people cowards, call them whatever you want, but you are being foolish if you don't recognize that they are/were proficient at the task they set out to perform and that there isn't too much you could do in hindsight to stop it. This doesn't mean that we should just accept that the Beltway shooter is going to do what he is going to do and there is nothing you can do about it. If I were in the area, I would have my M1A or M1 in the trunk of my car. I doubt I would ever get placed in the situation to use it, but at least I would have the means. Right now I don't think there is anyway to predict what he/she does next or how he/she is going to get caught.
Old October 22, 2002, 11:31 PM   #14
John DR

Not to change the subject, but do they have the death penalty out there?
Hope so when catch this POS.

Life NRA Member You Can Be Too

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun!
Matter of fact, so has his nephew's golf club

A good gun will last a lifetime. A cheap gun will shorten your lifetime.

"We're in a society where we're making inanimate objects responsible for our stupidity"
Old October 22, 2002, 11:56 PM   #15
4thHorseman

Virginia has the death penalty, but I'm not sure about Maryland.
Old October 23, 2002, 12:14 AM   #16
deanf

Quote:
I listen to scanners, and in more than several instances, I have heard dispatch advise officer to let person go, even after officer has found incriminating behaviour and material.
Dispatchers don't advise officers to let people go. That's a decision that is made strictly by commissioned law enforcement officers.
Old October 23, 2002, 12:18 AM   #17
chaim

Maryland has the death penalty. We have many people awaiting exectution. They wait for years, and years and years... And the wait got longer as our governor has placed an indefinate (I think it is indefinate) moratorium on exectutions while every death penalty case is reviewed. Something about it being racist. I'm pretty sure if KKT gets elected there will no longer be a death penalty in MD (basically the gov. went as close to abolishing as he can now, without killing KKT's, his chosen successors, chances).
Old October 23, 2002, 12:22 AM   #18
4thHorseman

I don't think Virginia will have much of a problem throwing the switch.

Last edited by 4thHorseman; October 23, 2002 at 12:47 AM.
Old October 23, 2002, 12:24 AM   #19
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Death Penalty? Make An Example Out Of Him!

Hell, I'm in favor of execution the very instant the
trial is over! Just carry his sorry ass outside
the courthouse and blow his brains out on national
T.V. No need too delay J-U-S-T-I-C-E

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 23, 2002, 01:06 AM   #20
4thHorseman

"Yup!, just keep on refering to my TINFOIL HAT!"
Old October 23, 2002, 01:15 AM   #21
Blackhawk

Hiding in plain sight is very effective, and none of the areas have been cleared of everybody post shooting AFAIK.
Old October 23, 2002, 01:21 AM   #22
DadOfThree

There is no way to draw more attention to yourself than to tell an LEO "You must let me through the roadblock without searching me. I have a secret agent security pass"
I used to have a TS SBI security clearance from one of the alphabet agencies. I didn't realize it carried any weight with the civilian LEO's.
I would like to hear from the LEOs on TFL. What would be your reaction at a roadblock to a guy who flashes a CIA or DIA ID?
James Madison: The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Mark Douglass
Old October 23, 2002, 03:37 AM   #23
Dangus

I have been saying this for quite a while now, but I bet you the reason they have not caught the shooter is that he's not leaving the area in a hurry like they think he is. I think this person is taking the shot, putting the gun in their car, and then casually walking around looking normal. In fact, if this person is cold enough, they could be going right over to the press and saying "Wow! Look what I saw!". I think the police are perhaps looking in the wrong place for this maniac.

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

"Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."
Old October 23, 2002, 08:12 AM   #24
ATTICUS

Regarding the skill, or lack of, of the sniper: What makes anyone think that this guy is always going after a kill. He is obviously a drama queen and enjoys inflicting pain and suffering. Death may be too merciful for him at times. Shooting the man in the stomach right after he ate a large steak dinner at the Ponderosa was hardly a missed shot. This is one sick puppy.
Old October 23, 2002, 09:25 AM   #25
SW9M

Me thinks he is posing as a reporter.

1. Bang
2. Lay low
3. Come out with the masses
4. Take pictures
5. Leave with the rest

There are plenty of ways to hide a modified gun in with camera equipment.

For what it's worth, that's my theory.

Malo mori quam foedari. Malon Labe.