The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2001, 01:10 PM   #1
Jack Straw

ideas for garage loading bench

It looks like I will be moving after the first of the year and my reloading will be done in the garage. The front wall will give me a stretch of about 12 feet upon which I can attach a table of some sort and some cabinets or shelves (I am leaning to some sort of inexpensive wood cabinets mounted over the work surface). I'm looking at a loading surface that is no more than 18" deep (that should be deep enough, I'm thinking) and several feet long. To it will be attached a Dillon 550 with strong mount, a single stage press, and a Lyman lubrisizer.

Any suggestions for a solid bench with a good layout of my equipment?

What about any ideas or suggestions that might make my loading bench more efficient or enjoyable?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Jack
Old August 24, 2001, 01:30 PM   #2
Steve Smith

Go here:

http://<a href="http://www.reload-nr...rform.html</a>

print and fill out the form, and send in with $3. Build the bench...it's AWESOME. If I had the plans I'l fax them to you but a friend has them.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 24, 2001, 02:36 PM   #3
Gordon Hanson

The NRMA bench plans are available here:

www.again.net/~steve/table3.html

at the bottom of the page.

Gordon
Old August 24, 2001, 03:28 PM   #4
Bogie

Well, since those plans won't do you a darn bit of good, considering your size constraints...

I'd go with a 2x4 and 2x6 frame, with a top of two layers of 3/4" or 1" plywood... How you put it together is up to you. I'll recommend that you anchor it to wall studs.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 24, 2001, 04:53 PM   #5
Waitone

Major seconds on the NMRA bench. Only change I made was to use 2-2 x 4's for each leg instead of recommended 4 x 4.

Made the cabinet also. Absolutely no problem with bench design or layout. It is stout. I have no need to fasten it to a wall. Actually the wall would be better off if fastened to the bench.

I finished only the top with urethane--4 coats. Layout is good, stability is good. It is heavy and well-worth the money and effort.
Old August 24, 2001, 09:33 PM   #6
Joe Portale

Jack Straw,

I had a similar situation except all I had was eight feet to play with. The long wall of the garage is were my wood working stuff is located. I went to Home Depot and found a eight foot length of laminated counter top. Most HD'd have a bin where the put mill ends and cut offs, that is where I found mine. Because it is a cut off, it should be a little cheaper per foot than if you bought the whole length. I ran a 4X4 cleat across the wall and to one corner. These were secured to the studs in the wall with some big-a** screws every twelve inches. The cleats holds the back of the counter top. Next legs were fashoned out of 4x4's for the corners. A 2x4 was run along the frong of the assembly to form the front support. The counter top was then secured to the frame assembly using mounting brackets.

For storage, it was back to HD for some laundry room cabinets. These are double doored units that were simply hung on the wall above the counter top. I lucked out on the next bit, for added storage, my neighbor was throwing out a three drawer Craftsman roll around tool cabinet. The wheels had to be removed and the cabinet placed on a couple of 2x4's to make a nice snug fit. Since the too cabinet only takes up about three feet across, it l;eaves tons of room under the counter top to store stuff. I keep my brass in plastic buckets under the loading table.

When I added my Lee Loader on one end and Rock Chucker to the other, it was found that the particle board wasn't up to the strees and torque. I added a couple of steel plates under the presses and bolted them down using large fender washers. This has held up for over a year, so it may be safe to say that it is working.

The really nice thing about the counter top idea is that it has a raised lip at the front. Any little thing that falls and starts rolling around usually doesn;t make it over the hump.

The cost for this setup was under $200 with the steel plates and cabinets.

Good luck with your project.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old August 24, 2001, 11:09 PM   #7
blades67

I built a modular bench of my own design. I used 4X4's for the legs, 2X6's for a support for the top, 2X4's for leg bracing and sliding shelf support and 3/4" MDF with linoleum glued to it.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 25, 2001, 12:04 PM   #8
Steve Smith

Bogie, I certainly think that Jack Straw has enough intelligence to adjust some of the measurements to fit his needs. The bench is of very good design, and warrants a look.

Jack Straw, a warning, if you go with the NRMA bench. Before you set the front 2x6, put your Dillon on the top and make sure that you adjust for the bolts. My friend found out the hard way that the bench isn't set up to accommodate a Dillon's bolt pattern...no biggie, though.

Also, look into Gun Digest's Book of Handgun Reloading. Inside you'll find a neat trick with slide-out benchtop accessories. Kind of a modular design. It must be done before the benchtop is complete.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 25, 2001, 12:39 PM   #9
branrot

I, too, made a bench of my own design. I live in a condo, and had about 4 feet in my walk in closet to work with! The top is two pieces of half inch plywood, with 2x4's as legs and braces. It's not beautiful, but it works just fine. Home Depot will cut your wood to your specs.
Old August 26, 2001, 10:09 AM   #10
faiello5

Try http://www.custom-glock.com/rl-bench.gif

Old August 27, 2001, 08:51 AM   #11
Jack Straw

Steve,
I appreciate the kind thoughts, but before you go assuming anything about my intelligence you should perhaps give my wife a call.

Thanks for the ideas guys. While I probably won't use the NRMA bench per se, it really does have some good ideas incorporated into it that I will use (ie..a shelf to put the scales at eye level).

TFL...coolest place on the net!

Jack