The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 9, 2001, 04:13 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Did Someone Say, "Africa, Leopard & Blaser Scout"?!!! [Long]

Yup...me, about a 6 months ago. I challenged some of the better engineers and craftsmen in the business to make it happen and they did. Engineering by Ashley Emerson, Crafting by David Clay (DRC Custom), who makes the coolest breakdown 45-70's on the market, Ammunition by Mad Dog and Outfitting by Danie van Graan of Engonyameni, RSA. (Insanity for the vision: yours truly.) (More on the 45-70 in another thread.)

Putting a forward mount on a Blaser .338 WinMag is no simple task. Ashley's answer was to machine a 4" length of shotgun barrel (I think Randy Weaver donated this...only kidding Randy) into a sleeve that fits over the rear of the Blaser barrel. To this sleeve a length of Weaver rail (not Randy) was silver soldered by David. The sleeve was then locked in place by scoring the barrel and epoxy-setting. The results can be seen
here

The forward mount scope concerned us in 3 areas:
1) Would field of view be diminished that far forward?
2) Would the mount be bomb-proof?
3) Would the sleeve diminish accuracy?

Asnwers:
1) Field of view is not affected. An optometrist friend tells me that the model to think of for a scope is that of a projection TV. Acuity problems may be created with distance, but not field of view. This bears more investigation, as it flies in the face of my college physics training. However, seeing is believing.

2) David and Ashley used the epoxy due to concerns that too much heat would be required on that super hard Blaser barrel for silver solder. With more than 600 rounds of 250 grain, full house loads thru it, the scope has yet to be resighted. Bomb Proof? Ashley has declared it "Ashley Proof"!

3) It remains a sub-minute gun in my hands and punches one ragged hole when handed to Ashley Emerson. This is far better than I need in the field, but comforting never the less. With the barrel now broken in, even heating by high fire volume fails to affect the accuracy (40 rounds without cleaning and it still shot <1")!

The Blaser weighs in at just over 7 lbs, scoped and loaded; it's handy to carry and comfortable to shoot with the Pachmeyr Decellerator. The straight pull is very fast and short stroking nearly impossible. Thought has been given to cutting the barrel from 24" to 22", but we're awaiting tests on this from Mad Dog. Most important, it cheeks perfectly...note how low the scope is mounted as opposed to the abominations in scope height coming out of too many factories these days. This is how glass should be done!

More pics:
Scope Base and Sleeve
Scope Base Detail

While the Blaser Scout will be my plains game weapon for three weeks in Tanzania, beginning Sept 28, a forward mount scope simply will not do in low light conditions. Since I have Leopard on the ticket, we need another rifle....or the same Blaser. Removal of the Scout Scope and installation of standard base, holding a Leupold 50mm Leopard scope is about 90 seconds. The result:
.338 Blaser for Leopard and
Closeup of Leopard Scope

(The Scout Scope can be mounted further rearward if one is willing to permanently loose the ability to mount a conventional scope).

Seeing as it sucks to be me, rumor has it that I've also got Lion on the ticket. Colonel Cooper frowns on taking lion with a scope. I'd prefer to avoid it also. So we need another rifle...or the same Blaser. By purchasing the Safari Kit, one gets a heavier forend, iron sighted safari caliber barrel and 1lb, screw in recoil reducer. I opted for the .416 Remington Magnum. The results of about 3 minites work in the field can be found
Here
with a bit more detail
Here
and an over the top view
Here.

It's neat to have cool stuff, but if one can't pick it up and take it with him, what good is it?
The Pelican Solution (Leopard Scope not included)

Did I mention we have Buff on the ticket? Yup, three of 'em!!! For that, the .416 would do, but not with nearly the style of a 45-70 breakdown. Look for pictures of David and Ashley's work on that next week....along with the 500 Linebaugh backup pistol with customized Lou Alessi Leather accessories.

Am I pumped or what?!
Rich

Last edited by Rich Lucibella; September 9, 2001 at 04:36 PM.
Old September 9, 2001, 04:44 PM   #2
BigG

Wow! That some nice hardware, Rich. Love the low forward scope on the Blaser 338.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old September 9, 2001, 07:23 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, long as you're goin' to all that trouble, you certainly need to collect more than just one or two critters. Besides, that'll give you enough to fill the freezer for the winter--or maybe even throw a TFL "Come and get it, it's all wild!" suppertime.

If you do get a lion, get 'em to cook up some backstrap or inner tender. I'm curious to know if it eats as good as cougar.

Have fun,

Art
Old September 9, 2001, 07:42 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Wow. That is a nice, low mount. Will the 50mm gather enough ambient light? Is there also a provision for a "leopard light"?

Wandering Thoughts
Old September 9, 2001, 09:36 PM   #5
Bud Helms

I'd feel a lot better about you havin' all that stuff, if you'd let me just beat the pooh outta you one time! Seriously, that is a very neat package. 'Can't blame you for being excited. 'Can't wait for the pics!

That section of shotgun barrel is a damn neat trick. I'm impressed with the ingenuity involved.

Good luck, Rich!
Old September 9, 2001, 11:17 PM   #6
Dave R

Excellent "tools"!

Can't wait to see the take-down .45-70.
Old September 10, 2001, 09:40 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Spec-
The 50 is actually a real good light gatherer. I'm still considering addition of a mini Weaver rail to the forend. I already have a Leopard Light ready to go on it.
Rich
Old September 10, 2001, 01:36 PM   #8
dZ

Quote:
The Pelican Solution
i thought the pelican solution involved a pump 12 guage

nice tools!

dZ
Old September 13, 2001, 12:04 AM   #9
capnrik

Good hunting Rich...

And safe travel. I have been able to pursue big game fish, but never The Big Five. Have a great hunt, and share with us when you come home.

Regards,

Rick
Old September 13, 2001, 10:57 AM   #10
Glamdring

I am jealous

What bullets and loads are you using Rich?

With the Blasers in 338 and 416 the capacity is 2+1 right???
How fast slow is reloading and topping off?

BTW While Cooper doesn't care for a scope on Baby, both Ross Seyfried and the late Finn Aagard did prefer/recommend scopes for hunters and they were both PH's. And Ross used scopes on most of his backup rifles aside from his 416 Rigby IIRC. His 416 Rem [Rem action] and 416 Taylor [Blaser action] had scopes on them.

My own thoughts on the sight issue for DG rifles is that using Talley's TNT setup with the peep that attaches to rear scope mount on conventional rifles, combined with a wide square notch handgun type iron sight and flat top front sight covers all the bases.

Use the low power variable Scope normally, but with the QD mounts you can remove it in a hurry and use the barrel mounted handgun type sights, what Ross used to backup his scope on his 416 Rem, or if you have time and need iron sights [say it is raining or something] you remove the scope and put the Tallet Peep sight on the rear sight base.
Old September 13, 2001, 12:24 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Glamdring-
For the .338 we'll be using Mad Dog handloads of 250gr Sierra Game Kings. I also have will take 20 250gr Barnes X's that have been confirmed to the same point of impact. We may try these out for comparison purposes.

For the .416 it will be handloaded Barnes X's backed up by Barnes Solids.

In both calibers, the Blaser holds 3+1. Topping off is no slower than with a standard bolt. Dropping one in the chamber is quicker.

As for the glass, I'm not too worried about it going down in the middle os a firefight. I just think iron sights are quicker. Ashley's been working on a design for a rear scope mount that would include an Ashley Proof pop up ring and integral stripper guide. When this comes out, I think it'll be the real deal.
Rich
Old September 13, 2001, 01:33 PM   #12
Glamdring

Stripper clip guide AND pop up peep!?!

For the Blazer?
I have thought for a long time that a magnum pseudo-scout [300, 338, 375H&H, or 416 Rem] with stripper clip loading would be awesome.

I don't think it would be that hard to make 3 round stripper clips for the magnum cartridges.

Before I bought my Steyr Scout I considered getting a Pseudo Scout in 375-284 based on a '98 Mauser. Figured I could get at least four 375-284 rounds on a regular stripper clip.

I like your choices of bullets for the 338. Though I would probably go with Swifts and Speer AGS-Solids for the 416.

Seyfried mentions that he had trouble with the Barnes Solids in 416 not having enough stability in the target because of their longer than standard length. He went to a faster rifling twist till the Trophy Bonded solids cam out.