The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 11, 2001, 07:54 PM   #1
9mmMike

WALMART suspending firearms and ammo (shotgun too) sales "in light of recent events".

Here is a copy of the note that I cranked off to WALMART:

Sirs,
I had the misfortune to encounter an individual managing one of your stores who would not sell me shotgun (birdshot) shells due to the recent events in NY and Washington.
Now I ask you, what in Heaven's name does the purchase of shotgun shells have to do with planes crashing into buildings?
I am more than slightly annoyed with what she claimed was "corporate policy" and "from the home office". It was especially galling when she told me that she had just sold five hundred (500.00) dollars of 9mm ammo this morning and that she had personally phoned the home office to express "her" outrage at someone buying ammo.
Now I ask you, was that person a criminal for buying ammo?
What kind of moron dictates a policy that prevents me from buying shotgun shells so that I may shoot sporting clays, as I do every Saturday, with my friends?
Is this truly a "company dictate" or was this gal out of line and over extending her authority?
Please do not tell me that this was a decision based upon reasoning and thoughtfulness. It is idiotic.
I will gladly supply store location and the name of the manager if you wish. I will have to go back to get that info but I will gladly do so if it is not a waste of my time.
Your reply (or lack thereof) as well as my letter to you will be posted online in several places.
Sincerely,
Michael Xxxxxxxxxx
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 11, 2001, 09:33 PM   #2
crffl

Which store was it ?

Is it all or just that one ?
Old September 11, 2001, 09:41 PM   #3
9mmMike

According to the bimbo that was running the store on Route 63 (Warminster?) it was "corporate policy" implying that it was all stores.
From the responses that I've gotten over on GlockTalk, that's a load of crap.
If you find one that's selling, let me know. You're not that far from me.
Mike
Old September 11, 2001, 09:49 PM   #4
crffl

I work near Hatfield, there's a Walmart up there on 309.

Won't be back up there until Friday but I'll check it out.
:barf:
Old September 11, 2001, 09:53 PM   #5
Rebeldon

From what I understand, and tell me if I'm wrong, is that the BATF headquarters were closed today and that NICS weren't operating. If that's true, it would surely put a stop to selling guns today. As for the ammo, I think the manager is making that up because she knows that they can't sell guns.
Old September 11, 2001, 09:56 PM   #6
crffl

I had read that also about NICS, but a few 01's on other boards said they were able to sell.

Supposedly NICS is somewhere out in the outskirts...
Old September 12, 2001, 11:28 AM   #7
9mmMike

Well,
As I am impatient to hear from them via email, I went ahead and made the 1800WALMART call. Spoke to a lad named Roy who was nice enough but useless except for the fact that he gave me the number to the district office and the name of the manager Jay Worthington (215 949 8073 - if you're interested). Roy told me it was not policy to stop selling ammo.
Well Mr. Worthington is in training all day but will supposedly call be back tonight - after 21:00. I spoke to his assistant who was nice enough but useless. Arlene (the assistant) informed that it was "policy" and that the customer service folks (Roy) just did not know this little tidbit. She also suggested that I might try Dick's Sporting Goods.
She gave me the same sob story about how some guy came into the store and bought 500.00 worth of 9mm (which apparently triggered "the policy") and I asked if that was illegal for him to do.
She guessed it was not.
I cannot get anyone at corporate because "they are all in training".
Please feel free to make these calls and inquiries yourselves and add some weight to my fight.
Later,
Mike
Old September 13, 2001, 01:09 PM   #8
9mmMike

Well I never got the phone call from Mr. Worthington last night so I gave his office a ring today. The ever-helpful Arlene told me that my query had been forwarded to one Mr. Wilke in “loss prevention” and that he was to call me back.
I gave her my work number to pass along.
Mr. Wilke called me back a few minutes later. He was relatively helpful and cooperative, especially when I told him that I would be publishing anything that he told me. Here is what he told me:

He would not/could not provide me with any written policy regarding guns & ammo sales. He did tell me that is was a corporate decision to allow the regional directors to choose not to sell guns and ammo. Mr. Wilke told me that is was his and Mr. Worthington’s decision to stop selling. He also told me that he had six stores under him and they are - Quakertown, Hilltown/Hatfield, Warminster, Fairless Hills, Franklin Mills & Harleysville.
He was actually fairly helpful although he did not appreciate the humor when I asked him to list the stores in “his kingdom”. He was also quick to correct me when I suggested that Walmart was pro-gun. There are not “pro-gun”. They are “pro-sportsmen”. I guess the best we could do is say that they are not “anti-gun”.
Anyway, although the story that I got from the store manager at Harleysville and Mr. Worthington’s assistant insisted that the catalyst for this decision was the gentleman who purchased five hundred dollars worth of 9mm, Mr. Wilke said that was not true.
I once again explained my dismay at their decision and questioned its reasoning and he started down the path of “terrible tragedy” and “protecting the American people” etc…
I have asked Mr. Wilke to identify other Walmarts in this area, not under his control, and whether or not they have adopted this “voluntary unwritten policy”.
He said that he would and that he would call me back with some information.
I am waiting for that call.
The stores under his control will begin selling guns and ammo next Friday 09/21/01 “he thinks”.
Stay tuned,
Mike
Old September 14, 2001, 02:13 AM   #9
crffl

Well he's either incompetent or a liar.

I stopped by Franklin Mills this evening. Although the rifles were removed from the display cases, I was able to purchase a couple of boxes of .44mag and .22's

I'll be hitting the Hatfield store tomorrow to see what's what.

Old September 14, 2001, 06:56 AM   #10
Matt Wallis

I went to a Walmart in the Orlando area last night and bought a box of .30-30 I'm going to shoot up this weekend. No problem. They were out of 9mm ammo though. The clerk told me some guy came in and bought all they had! Maybe it's the same guy you were talking about. Heh, heh.

Regards,
Matt Wallis
Old September 14, 2001, 08:10 AM   #11
9mmMike

Well Mr. Worthington (district manager) finally called last night and I gave him the Reader’s Digest version of the story and let him know that Mr. Wilke (loss prevention) was going to get back to me with some more information. I suggested that he might wish to contact Wilke himself to see if he needed any help but since Wilke was handling it, Worthington bowed out.
I did not hear from Mr. Wilke.
I phoned Mr. Worthington’s office again this AM and his assistant told me that he had started his vacation today! She also told me that Worthington had called me because Wilke had told him to call and “handle it”. This is contrary to what Worthington told me. Mr. Worthington told me that he had not spoken to Mr. Wilke. What a guy.
I have asked that she forward a request to Mr. Wilke to have him call me.
Waiting…………..
Old September 14, 2001, 01:51 PM   #12
rock_jock

You won't hear back from them. These guys are in a corner and they know it. What this really is is a case of stereotyping, you know, prejudice, aimed against their perceived view of the average gunowner - impulsive, angry, irrational and stupid. Being confronted by an intelligent gunowner asking legitimate questions has thrown them off balance.
Old September 15, 2001, 01:36 AM   #13
mrat

I was at my local Walmart today and went to the gun section. All their guns and ammo was put away. The clerk said they were not selling guns and ammo for now.
Old September 15, 2001, 02:19 AM   #14
utvols

I bought a hundred round value pack of 9mm today at Wal-Mart. The clerk checking me out made fun of K-Mart for suspending sales.
Old September 15, 2001, 12:11 PM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Wuz in the Thomasville, GA, WalMart yesterday. Everything still available for sale; same glaze-eyed clerk, willing to be helpful.

Art
Old September 15, 2001, 12:17 PM   #16
MeekAndMild

Well I checked it out today, Saturday. They had some pretty good buys in long guns, had some 9mm Winchester white label which I didn't really need so didn't get. I asked about 38 special but all they had was UMC and some hollow points so I passed it up.

Another guy was buying a case of 12 gauge number 8 birdshot.

I did get a really good deal on some iris and narcisssus bulbs though.
Old September 15, 2001, 03:37 PM   #17
Bill Barrett

Guns and ammo still for sale at the Wal-mart in Big Flats, NY
Old September 23, 2001, 08:08 PM   #18
9mmMike

Well, I'm back. While I was away, they opened a brand new Walmart near my home. It is not under the Naziesque command of the offending store.
I stopped there today and they are selling ammo but no guns. There was no one around to ask and it is possible that the guns have not arrived yet. This store just opened two days ago.
I got a note back from the NRA. Here it is:
--------------------------------
Dear Michael,
Thank you for contacting us and notifying us of your experience with
Wal-Mart. I will forward your message to the NRA ILA, the political
and lobbying arm of the NRA, they will be interested to hear your story,
and may see answers from Wal-Mart themselves. Thank you for your
support!
Best regards,
Jason
NRA Membership Communications

P.S. If you need to contact us again concerning this, please make sure
you include this and any previous correspondence. Some Internet
Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous
messages when you reply to a message. This will help insure a quick
answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!

-------------------------------------

I will try to get to the original Walmart this week to see if they lifted the ban.

Thanks for posting your own results in this thread. I have sent the links to Walmart and the NRA so they can see how other Walmarts are dealing with this crisis.

Mike
Old September 23, 2001, 08:09 PM   #19
Justin Moore

My local (Denver) Wal-Marts are selling guns as well as ammo.

You are right, you MUST live in Nazi territory or something
Democracy: A government of the masses, authority derived through mass meetings or any other form of direct expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences; its result is dem-o-gogism, license, agitation, discontent and anarchy.

Republic: Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best suited to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles that establish evidence with a strict regard for consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass, it avoids the dangerous extremes of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice contentment and progress, is a standard for government around the world.
Old September 23, 2001, 10:31 PM   #20
Cosmoline

FORGET WALMART!

They're a bunch of bastards on many levels. Why not take this opportunity to rediscover your LOCAL gun stores? Sure, you may pay more, but by this time you should be realizing that you GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR at Walmart.
Old September 24, 2001, 02:18 AM   #21
Skorzeny

Or re-discover Ammo man on the web?

Skorzeny
Old September 24, 2001, 12:07 PM   #22
38Mike

El Dorado, Kansas Walmart alive and well (after I woke up the clerk that is); bought 2 boxes of UMC 38 specials Sunday morning........
Old September 24, 2001, 02:13 PM   #23
fed168

I went to Wally World this morning to get the 100 round packs of 9mm for practice. Guess what? The ammo shelf looked awfully empty. I talked to the clerk about any restrictions, he stated that he had not heard of it, and has been told to restock ammo and keep it coming. Folks have been coming into the store and buying $300 - $400 worth of ammo the last week.
The clerk was extremely helpful, and knew what I wanted when asked.
BTW, this is the Walmart in northern Durham, NC, to any fellow Carolinians in the area.
Old September 24, 2001, 02:57 PM   #24
Gopher

It's starting to look like this is an individual store managers decision. Hmmmmm

I went to a Wal Mart store north of Dallas last weekend and they couldnt sell me any ammo. They didnt have any left in stock. No 9mm,.45,.223,.308, very little 30-06 and three (yes THREE) boxes of .22. I was stunned. No .22? I guess it really is serious.
Old September 24, 2001, 06:40 PM   #25
RobW

What's the big problem here? If they don't want to sell you a portable toilet, why go there? Why buy anything from them? It's just a waste of time to go there.

Just let them sell textbooks of "We shall overcome" and leave them alone.

This is still a free country and they can sell or not sell anything legal.

I just don't have a reason to go there. That's all. May they rest in peace.