The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 19, 2001, 11:25 AM   #1
Dave R

Which pen/cane for airline defense?

Since we can't carry nail clippers or keychain knives on the airlines any more, I guess we're left with pens and canes for defense of our airliners.

So, which pen would make the best stabbing weapon?

Ball point would be better than fountain (if there are any of those left) because the more slender fountain point could be blunted/bent by clothing. No penetration.

A BIC or other "stick pen" is too narrow for a good hold. It would slip in the hand on impact, reducing power.

I want something with a nice, fat handle for a good grip. And a nice taper into the tip, for penetration. Metal is better than plastic. A Mont Blanc clone, perhaps?

Whaddaya think?

Regarding canes, I think the standard "hook end" models are too light to yield a good blow. And the "hook ends" are too closed to effectively grab a neck for a takedown from behind.

I'm thinking maybe a good Scottish shileighly (sp?) would have the mass for a good head blow. For a hook-end cane, I would want something with a more open hook. Custom made? Metal vs. wood?

Comments from cane and pen experts, please.
Old September 19, 2001, 11:36 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Since stabbing/slashing instruments are out, use a cane. Besides, you can inflict more pain and make them see "stars" with a stick.
Old September 19, 2001, 12:05 PM   #3
ATTICUS

Does the FAA have any rules against carrying a sock full of nickles?
Old September 19, 2001, 12:12 PM   #4
jthuang

My idea: c-cell Maglite or Streamlight 20X

Taking Insights's impact weapons class on 11/16, hopefully will have more info after that.

Justin
Old September 19, 2001, 12:24 PM   #5
F4GIB

>>> Does the FAA have any rules against carrying a sock full of nickles? <<<

You might get them through if they are separated.

Are Cross pens banned? What about the "extended" mini mag-lite? I be fearful of losing an expensive, large flashlight.

Has the FAA/Airlines posted any "rules?"
Old September 19, 2001, 12:25 PM   #6
Walosi

Any pen, in order to penetrate, must be "palmed", and should have a slightly broader top end. It a one-shot proposition, but can be effective if not fatal.

For canes, go here:

http://www.canemaster.com/contact.htm

I use their Hickory Heart Triple Grip - I need it to get around. It is neither too light (it will break bones) nor is the crook too "closed" (it is larger, and the tip is pointed, to do great damage to the bones at the back of the neck, or rip tendons behind a knee). Some of their variations are a bit pricey, but in their case you DO get what you pay for. A few good moves and a bit of practice (not really a heavy regimen) can make this a formidible weapon.
Old September 19, 2001, 12:43 PM   #7
David Park

I bet the sales of non-metallic and non-magnetic, easy-to-conceal blades are going through the roof. I may leave my gun at home, but I never go anywhere without a blade. I'd love to get a La Griffe Frequent Flyer, but I've sworn off knife buying until I find a new job.

I have had my carryon bag searched to find the roll of quarters that showed up on the X-ray.
Old September 19, 2001, 01:20 PM   #8
PaladinX13

This might pass as a pen...

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/gf4.htm
Old September 19, 2001, 01:35 PM   #9
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

In fountain pens, get one with a steel nib. Most fountain pen makers will have a steel-nibbed pen on the cheaper end of their inventory.

The Rotring 600 series is my favorite. The barrel is solid brass that gives the pen some decent heft, and doesn't flex if you ram it into a nerve centre. It makes a decent Kubaton or short yarawa stick and the nib is fairly rigid steel, if you feel the need to stick that end into a critter.

I've got a shillelagh that's currently on loan to another Member, it came from Cold Steel and has lasted rather well through the years. Their Walkabout collection looks pretty good, but I haven't got to try one out yet.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old September 19, 2001, 04:53 PM   #10
Mr. Terwilliger

For those that skirt the law from time to time...

What about something like this?

http://www.agrknives.com/agrussell/agcialo.html

I've got one that someone gave me many years ago. It is a really tough little booger. I've dug holes (such as they were), hacked up vegetation, so on and so forth and it has held up very well. It's extremely light and would be easily concealed. A possible solution?
Old September 19, 2001, 05:03 PM   #11
OF

Mad Dog hosts a Cane Masters forum over at TFL's sister site, www.tacticalforums.com Probably a good place to look for more assistance.

- Gabe
Old September 19, 2001, 05:03 PM   #12
Dave R

Cowabunga! This is some good stuff! The canes/walking sticks look very effective, and prices seem very reasonable.

Paladin, the tripleaught "olive tool" looks like it would be highly effective. But its sold out !!!!

The nylon letter opener looks like it would get through inspection, but if you got caught, I'll bet you would miss your flight, at minimum.

I hope the terrorists aren't checking this site!
Old September 19, 2001, 06:54 PM   #13
ATTICUS

The olive tool is sold out at $160 each. Damn, I hope it wasn't the terrorists buying them!
Old September 19, 2001, 07:41 PM   #14
westex

What would be wrong with a nice Little League bat? Nice hunk of aluminum and your son/daughter could even break it in for you. Is anyone goes to mess with the tools of the Great American pastime? How American can you get.

You might even get through all the lines faster if you took a few practice swings.

westex
Old September 19, 2001, 07:42 PM   #15
ctdonath

Don't get sucked into buying "weapon" versions of pens or canes. Airline guards are skittish now (they confiscated an EMPTY ammo box!) and would key off anything vaguely weaponish.

Just go to your local drugstore and buy a standard wood cane for $10. It's solid, totally mundane, doesn't have suspicious symbols laser-etched into it, and you won't be upset to break it, lose it, or have it confiscated.
Old September 19, 2001, 09:04 PM   #16
Fatcat

It is a sad day in America when we have to resort to pens as defense weapons.

That said, I carry two very effective blunt weapons on my feet every day - my boots.
Old September 20, 2001, 07:56 AM   #17
jthuang

westex, I don't know if we can get on board with a bat any more. The following is an exerpt my firm received from our corporate travel agent regarding travel regs promulgated by British Airways after Sept 11:

---
Security Notice

The following are the new security guidelines established by
British Airways. Although this was written specifically for British
Airways travelers, we feel that it is a good reference guide for
security procedures being put in place by most other airlines.
Effective immediately, the following items are strictly forbidden
to be carried on board the cabin of any British Airways' aircraft:

* Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal)
* Household cutlery
* Knives with blades of any length (including steel nail files)
* Paper knives
* Razor blades
* Tradesmen's tools
* Darts
* Scissors of any size
* Hypodermic syringes -Customers who require the use of hypodermic
needs for medical reasons (e.g., diabetics and customers with allergies)
will be asked for proof of medical need.
* Knitting needles
* Sporting bats (including rackets, bats, and golf clubs)
* Billiards, snooker, or pool cues
* Slingshots
* Corkscrews with blades attached

Please be advised that customers carrying any of the above items
(with the exception of hypodermic needles for medical use) will be
asked to place it in their checked baggage. Customers carrying hand baggage only will be asked to surrender the items for disposal by British Airways.

---

Now I know that BA doesn't rule the FAA so we might be able to bring bats on-board but this shows that at least one airline will not allow them.

My flight plans for the end of the month are canceled so I will not be able to find out if my c-cell maglite/Streamlight 20X idea will work.

Justin
Old September 22, 2001, 12:32 PM   #18
SAWBONES

The crook top of the cane allows it through airport security, according to FAA guidelines. A knob-top or other type of walking stick may be considered a weapon, at the discretion of the security personnel.
Therefore, get a Canemasters or Livesay-Van Cook cane. They're MADE for self defense, won't break, and have some nice built-in features (see links above) which enhance their effectiveness.
Even a (wooden) drugstore-bought cane is better than nothing, though they're not as sturdy as the defensive canes mentioned above.
Otherwise, wear a sturdy pair of boots or shoes, and carry a couple SHARPENED pencils in a magazine, along with a Cross ball point pen. Best.
Old September 22, 2001, 02:21 PM   #19
lonegunman

I think a Cross Pen is one your best bets... look for the Century II (which is about 2x the diameter of the standard Cross), or the Townsend, which is even beefier.
Old September 22, 2001, 05:02 PM   #20
KPS

I agree with a CIA Letter Opener or any other non-metalic knife.
http://www.shomertec.com/item.cfm?variable=442

www.bowenknife.com also sells knife belt buckles that might do the trick.
Old September 22, 2001, 05:24 PM   #21
Brett Bellmore

The cane sounds feasible; If they argued with me, I could always show them the surgical scars where they put my ankle back together. I suspect, though, that they're going to start separating people from their canes, ("You can lean on the seat backs to reach your seat, sir.") the moment they notice that the number of crips has tripled over night.

They (The FAA) are stark raving bonkers. Terrorists could get a deadly weapon through anything short of a body cavity search, though I admit is wouldn't be comfortable. Couple this with their attempt to issue a regulation prohibiting the pilots from being armed, and you've got to wonder if Bin Laden has infiltrated THEM!
Old September 22, 2001, 09:22 PM   #22
sumabich

Ok, so let me get this straight, I buy a cane, then limp when I get ready to board. Then a ceramic knife which I will slip into my Tony Lama flames and then I'll feel safer. Hell they'll probably start doing strip searches before long! They might get the knife but if they give me back my boots they'll crush a cockroach in a corner faster than you can blink! The bottom line is as all members of TFL know, don't be sheep! Do something, anything is better than nothing! I was wondering does anyone make a ceramic or plastic extendable baton? All I've seen are metal and wouldn't pass muster. I guess it's time to finally invent a plastic gun! Oh yeah, those have already been outlawed! Bless you all for the links, I feel better already. I share Brett's sentiment, if they start realizing that there's a bunch of Rams in the midst of the sheep they will probably start "all nude flights" only! I'll probably get the flight with the charter group going to overeaters anynomus!!! Hey Rich, we need an evil smiley!!!
Old September 22, 2001, 10:07 PM   #23
hkg3

The problem with canes or things of the like is, on an airplane it would be difficult to get a good swing at the BG.

I think smaller weapons would be a better choice.

Not necessarily on the same note, does anybody have a link to a site that sells those "pens" that shoot .22 shorts?
Old September 22, 2001, 11:47 PM   #24
C.R.Sam

Don't have to swing a cane. Great for punching through things, like bad guy's guts.

Sam
Old September 23, 2001, 01:41 AM   #25
thumbtack

It is a pretty sad situation when we have to discuss what type of pen or cane we should use to protect ourselves.