The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 7, 2001, 09:36 PM   #1
Mike H

"Cat" Shooting ?

When people talk about shooting cats, just what are they referring to.

Feral cats, domestic cats, the cat dozing in front of their fire (admittedly an easy way to start).

I seem to have met a lot of cat shooters, I never quite know what to say to them, I'm no cat lover but it sounds a little strange.

Education required, please assist

Mike H
Old November 7, 2001, 09:40 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Hydraulic cat shot cages the eyeballs. Steam cat shot gentler unless no wind.

Sam
Old November 7, 2001, 09:59 PM   #3
dZ

Some housecat lovers tend to wear their kitties on their sleeves.
Annoying them by talking about shooting cats delights some people to no end

Some people really dislike cats too
They see dogs as useful animals but identify with the dogs instinct to chase cats
All the cutesie "Hang in there Baby" cat products can get them going too.

"Cat" hunting can mean hunting Bobcats or Mountain lions
but i doubt you are hearing about that in Maryland

Feral Cats destroy wild bird populations so some people do shoot "domestic" cats

A buddy lives on a farm and finds city folkes abandon their cats on his property.
The "innocent" kitties mark his front porch and fight with his cats

but not for long
Old November 7, 2001, 10:02 PM   #4
12-34hom

Ditch Tigers.. oh my!

Ditch tigers - Idiots who shoot cats should have one of thier beloved dogs shot for no reason.

Just kicks and giggles, thats all - honest.

I'm not a sick S.O.B. or anything like that. I just love killing for laughs. that does not sound sick to you does it?

Just wondering - inquiring minds wanna know.

12-34hom.
Old November 7, 2001, 10:09 PM   #5
DOCSpanky

Have only shot 1 cat, and it did $600 dollars damage to a paint job on my truck!

And also damaged many others in my neighborhoods vehicles. He was a huge Tom that stayed up ALL NIGHT wailing and chasing girl cats. Also lots of fighting. This dude was so bad he used to pick fights with dogs!

Animal control couldn't catch him.

A Remington Subsonic HP out of a Marlin model 60 ended his destructive days swiftly and quietly

DOC
Old November 7, 2001, 10:56 PM   #6

When I talk about shooting cats I am talking about Bobcats. When I am talking about shooting dogs, I am talking about coyote hunting.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 7, 2001, 11:02 PM   #7
DorGunR

Ditch tigers - Idiots who shoot cats should have one of thier beloved dogs shot for no reason.
Tell that to the Game Wardens in Georgia. I have been told (while hunting quail) by Georgia Game Wardens to shoot any cat I saw in the fields that was away from any houses and obviously not someones pet.
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
Old November 7, 2001, 11:10 PM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

This cat...

...shoots back.

Old November 7, 2001, 11:12 PM   #9
Redlg155

I don't know why.

I was raised pretty much in the way that if you shot something, you had better eat the thing. Some exceptions were made for the unedible nuisance critters...such as cats, although some would argue to the contrary...about being edible that is. I'm sure someone out there likes cat meat!

I don't get a kick out of shooting cats like pop up targets, no matter how amusing the thought might be. I really don't think there are a lot of folks who shoot cats, they just say they do to get a rise out of cat owners.

Good Shooting
RED
Old November 7, 2001, 11:35 PM   #10
Sisco

Jeez, a while back I posted about killing a rattlesnake at the range and caught some flack about it .... I'm gonna leave this cat thing alone.
(But I do tend to agree with Red)
Old November 7, 2001, 11:39 PM   #11
SW 586

This whole thread just has me totally confused!
Old November 7, 2001, 11:47 PM   #12
WilderBill

I am considering using some sub sonic .22s on the neighbors dogs if they don't stay out of my trash.
Fockers chase my cats, too.
It might be a little different if I hadn't noticed that they are usually only out on the days we have trash bags on the curb.
I think that they let the dogs out to eat...too lazy or cheap to feed 'em - just let 'em eat garbage.
I do know that there are at least 4 neighbors using pellet guns on them and I once broke a leg on one of them with a serious slingshot. Looks like that isn't enough to slow 'em down.
Hey Tamara, did it take long to train your cat? I think mine would
take a while to get used to any real recoil...SKS maybe.

Support those who support us.
Old November 7, 2001, 11:57 PM   #13
Gunz387

I have heard that cats kill more small game animals than hunters do. Feral cats are fair game but any cat that might be domestic lives.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:08 AM   #14
WilderBill

Not sure about small game, but I am pretty sure they kill more rats than hunters.

Support those who support us.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:13 AM   #15
12-34hom

DorGuner, that is a total crock, cats do not kill a abnormal amount of game animals or birds.

Quail have a NATRUAL mortality rate of 60% per year.

Red fox & possums kkill more game birds than all cats combined.

Cats do what they do, dogs chase cats, cats stalk birds.. there it is...

12-34hom.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:21 AM   #16
DorGunR

Hey 12-34hom
Croc or not......I just posted what the Game Wardens told me.....if you have a problem , take it up with them.
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
Old November 8, 2001, 12:25 AM   #17
dZ

http://www.abcbirds.org/cats/catsindoors.htm
Old November 8, 2001, 12:25 AM   #18
Jim March

Housecats *can* be a non-native pest species that threatens the balance of entire ecosystems.

In California, the Department of Fish and Game reserves the right to shoot any stray cat found on a wildlife preserve...basically by declaring them "obviously feral". DFG doesn't have the right to regulate domestic mammals, but they do have the right to regulate "wild or feral" mammals. So they just declare them "feral" with a broad brush.

The thing is, I know for a certainty that neutered male cats and any female cat CAN live happily in indoor quarters, even in fairly small apartments. The key is for them to have something really fun to play with, the absolute ultimate being a ferret .

Which brings us to the hilarious tale of Charlie the Psychokitty .

Many years ago, mebbe '88 or so, my brother moved in with me from Idaho, bringing his two small female ferts. We decided to get a pound kitten to play with the weasels, and sure enough the two girls basically raised this male cat for the first 8 months of it's life. They all got along great. The cat wasn't too good with people, barely tolerated us petting him and such, but he *loved* those ferrets. And since ferrets basically eat the best kitten formula you can find, they all ate the same thing, often at the same time. While the play could get pretty wild, they all shared the same bed, litterbox, food and water. The cat would bury the ferret's poop for them, often after sniffing it and reeling back in horror that it was unburied .

Then the two ferts were stolen from my brother from out of his car while he was in a grocery store for only a couple of minutes .

Charlie moped around missing his buddies, so we had to do something. We took a gambler's special tour bus to Reno dirt cheap, went to a pet shop, and found Felix, age 8 weeks, and albino unlike the last two Charlie had seen (brown "Sable" types).

So we get home, and put little Felix on the bed.

Charlie comes running up, rears back like he's going to swat the hell out of this "invader", and then stops cold. He sniffed Felix, then retracted his claws, got what looked like a big grin on his kittyface, and gently batted at Felix, who danced around in play.

That cat went and raised that ferret. He'd even carry Felix around by the scruff, over barriers we specifically put up to keep Felix in the back rooms. Took us a while to figure out how Felix was "escaping".

Three months later, Charlie hit puberty, hard. Yowling all night, funky urine everywhere, big problem. The local SPCA was doing a free spay/neuter clinic, so it was time to deal with that. Taking him down there by motorcycle was a whole 'nuther adventure .

But the next morning, the staff asks us what the &@CK was wrong with that cat?!?

See...if a cat gets continuous access to extra-high-protein feed, and constant excercise (via weasel chasing four or five hours a day), it "bulks up". Charlie wasn't that big, mebbe eight pounds, but he was a solid rope of muscle.

And remember the part about not real sociable around other people, due probably to his being totally wild before we even got him?

Yep. He attacked the first SPCA volunteer that tried to take him out of the carrier .

It took three people with a blanket and then tranking him right through the blanket to get him under control.

He was never, ever, allowed outdoors.

Upshot: I don't believe that outdoors access is necessary to a cat's health or happiness.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:28 AM   #19
TexasVet

12-34hom, you obviously don't know much about feral cats. Ask ANY game warden. They are the best predators in the woods. And even if they didn't kill ONE game bird, the way they wiped out my neighbors chickens is plenty of reason to whack them. Any once domesticated, now feral, animal on my land is a target. I like my animals and I will protect them from disease and injury.
What you do
When it counts.
Old November 8, 2001, 12:53 AM   #20
suvdrvr

I agree with C.R. Sam! Unless it's a cold cat and the bird goes in the drink.
Old November 8, 2001, 01:00 AM   #21
C.R.Sam

Soft cat sucks, cold cat permasucks...........Sam
Old November 8, 2001, 01:00 AM   #22
PDshooter

Got a feral cat 3yrs ago, in S.D
Road hunting!
3 shot from my SKS= Dead cat
Old November 8, 2001, 01:07 AM   #23
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Didja lure it in with some Tender Vittles or a ball of yarn?

Maybe one of those "Cat Call Tapes" that repeats "Here, kitty kitty!" or "Time for your Little Friskies, Mittens!".

Did you get it right between the eyes with that SKS, bwana? (Sometimes they've been known to charge when they're wounded)

Personally, I think anyone who would hurt a cat or dog for fun would do it to a child.

:barf:

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

(I've shot rabid, feral cats and dogs before because I had to, but it's certainly nothing I'd gloat about in a public forum...)
Old November 8, 2001, 01:08 AM   #24
Ledbetter

And your dog too.

dZ and Jim March are right. If you love your cat, keep it in your house like I do my two.

Because if your cat starts coming into my yard regularly and befouls it and my car cover and my yard furniture instead of yours, he or she is toast. Just like the raccoons that eat my pond fish.

No sleep lost. Bag'm and trash'm.

Regards.
Old November 8, 2001, 01:56 AM   #25
yorec

Please! There is a big difference between someone's pet and feral cats. Those who can't tell the difference are those who's goats keep getting got when this subject comes up.

So until there aren't anymore kittens on sleeves out there -

Note: my two cats will still be fat and happily living at my house! Wonder if I could teach them to shoot?