The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 26, 2002, 11:03 AM   #1
Gewehr98

Why isn't the 1903A3 legal for John C. Garand Matches?

Just got an earful for trying to use a Springfield 1903A3 for the local John C. Garand match. Sure enough, in the rules, it states the earlier 1903 is legit, but no such luck for the WWII-issued 1903A3. I'm assuming that because of the rear peep sight, it offers an accuracy advantage over the 1903, but are they worried that too many matches would be won away from the M1 Garands?

Neural Misfires
Old January 26, 2002, 11:15 AM   #2
FPrice

My first guess would be that since the match is the "John C. Grand" match, it is shot using a John C. Garand designed weapon.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old January 26, 2002, 11:46 AM   #3
Gewehr98

Not the case.

From the CMP John C. Garand match rules, verbatim:

"Shooters may use any “as-issued” U. S. service rifle including the M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M1941 Johnson or .30 Cal. M1 Carbine. Rifles must have standard stocks and be equipped with military-type web or leather slings. Rebarreling with barrels of “as-issued” dimensions is permitted, but “NM” parts or glass bedding is not permitted."

Now, it's obvious my 1903A4 wouldn't be allowed for competition. But I find it odd that the WWII .30-06 bolt-action counterpart of the Garand is specifically disallowed, while its WW1 version is fine. M1 carbines are just plain fun, and are especially attractive to the younger shooters, being easier to handle and having less recoil than the full-sized .30-06 rifles.

Neural Misfires
Old January 26, 2002, 11:53 AM   #4
Khornet

1903A3

Couldn't be because of the peep, since M1 has it too. I bet it's just an oversight so to speak, being enforced mindlessly.
Old January 26, 2002, 01:00 PM   #5
Rome

Clear misintrepation

The rules say

" Shooters may use any “as-issued” U. S. service rifle including the M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M1941 Johnson or .30 Cal. M1 Carbine..

What part of "ANY" does that person not understand?

Rome
Old January 26, 2002, 03:25 PM   #6
Gewehr98

Rome, you and I are using common sense here.

Unfortunately, the CMP, being an entity forged from a military organization (remember the DCM?) has continued with the same style of rules interpretation. In other words, if an item isn't specifically mentioned, it's disallowed. Hence, no M1903A3. Heck, for that matter they could also disqualify me if I chose to bring my 1903A1, but they were never marked any differently than "U.S. Springfield, M1903", on their receivers. Same could also go for the M1903Mk1. I do intend to petition the rule interpretation that disallows M1903A3 rifles. Sounds silly, the M1903A3 was very much an issued weapon to WWII troops, even more so than the M1941 Johnson.

Neural Misfires
Old January 27, 2002, 12:22 AM   #7
700PSS Shooter

grammar

"any..., including..." is not the same as "use the following only...". Does not mean only those listed. This is not a military interpretation, just an arbitrary one. The shooter should query the NRA competition branch for a clarification/possible future amendment to the rule, although to my read it is inclusive as written.
Old January 27, 2002, 08:12 AM   #8
BigJoe

Think you encountered...

a major anal retentive a-hole who told you that your '03A3 was not allowed. What a jerk, at the National JCG Match at Perry, there were plenty of '03A3's on the line next to me. What a sight. Now I do believe that they won't be allowing the .30 Carbine to be shot in this year's JCG Matches. As to that piece o' sh#* who is turning ANY shooter away from becoming involved in Highpower Rifle in any way, he should have strips of skin ripped from his body and tossed in a vat o' seawater. I can't believe that someone would be so stupid. I would seriously look into another club if it is at all possible, because if the club itself is sanctioning such a jackass running a "fun" match, they are as much to blame as he is. Good luck - Joe
Old January 27, 2002, 03:06 PM   #9
Christopher II

I've shot in a John C. Garand match in which my squadmate used a 1903A3. The offical in question is wrong, and needs to have his head pulled out.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old January 27, 2002, 05:24 PM   #10
Gewehr98

As of today's match...

The cranial-rectal inversion syndrome still pervades. Not only that, but my logic of using the Camp Perry Garand Match winners (being that they ran 1903A3's) was shot down with the retort that their scores weren't accepted because they were 1903A3's. I think I'm trying to teach a pig to sing here, folks. I brought the subject up over at CSP Gun Talk, and will formulate a polite, yet firm, email for the folks at CMP to chew on.

Neural Misfires
Old January 28, 2002, 05:05 PM   #11
BigJoe

G, are you saying that the CMP is agreeing with the official at your club? I hope that is not the case as I would be extremely disappointed with them for backing him. I am sure if you give them a call, they would be happy to send off a letter clarifying this rule.