The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 7, 2023, 08:22 AM   #1
fisherman66

Rolling Block ID help

I may have made a foolish purchase. I have no idea who made this Rolling Block, I was just mesmerized by the color case hardening. The shop owner said he was helping an older gent liquidate his collection, and this was the final piece of that collection. The gent said the rifle was a gift from the gunmaker. He claims it hasn’t been fired. It looks the part. Other than a serial #, the only other marks are photographed here. I’d put a wag out there that it was made in Wyoming. Anyone ever see this maker’s work before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5051.jpeg (184.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5049.jpeg (238.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5047.jpeg (198.0 KB, 133 views)
Old September 8, 2023, 08:59 PM   #2
fisherman66

I appreciate those who took a look. I’ll try to find a forum that dedicates a sub that specializes in the old West guns. Maybe a SAS or Black Powder group.

Last edited by fisherman66; September 8, 2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old September 9, 2023, 02:40 PM   #3
HiBC

You might contact the folks at Buffalo Arms. They would maybe be able to network you onto some leads.

There was an outfit in Texas that was building higher end RB's. They sold castings,too. Was it Lone Star Arms?

Is SPG Lube still in business? Those fellows were a driving force in BPCR shooting.

Look for BPCR shooters who would recognize the work.

Nice rifle. Good Luck!
Old September 10, 2023, 05:54 PM   #4
fisherman66

Thank you HiBC. I will do that.
Old September 12, 2023, 10:14 AM   #5
Jim Watson

No known company markings, it may be a one-off on an old action or a defarbed import.
Old September 13, 2023, 08:53 AM   #6
fisherman66

Quote:
No known company markings, it may be a one-off on an old action or a defarbed import.
I suspect the former is likely the case. Hopefully I can discover it’s secrets.
Old September 15, 2023, 06:18 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Give a try on the Castboolit site - try the black powder cartridge forum on that site - there may be someone there that could help you out on possible info on it as there are a number of bpcr shooters there. What is it chambered for?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 18, 2023, 04:29 PM   #8
fisherman66

The old war horse arrived today. Despite being packaged better than any other rifle I’ve had Fed Ex managed to snap the rear sight off and crack the butt stock. The color case hardening is also smeared on the tang between the set screws for a tang sight. Maybe she’s really a pinto.
Old September 18, 2023, 07:59 PM   #9
Jim Watson

That takes special training and a lot of work.
What a drag.
Old November 25, 2023, 12:16 PM   #10
marlinguy

I can't tell you who built your Rolling Block, but I can tell you it was done off an old military action. It is the later rotary extractor action, and likely a smokeless powder era action like those made in 7mm Mauser originally. The pistol grip curve is not exactly as Remington did them as the curve is sharper than Remington's was. The step on the receiver is almost like a Remington Sporting Rifle except Remington rounded over the front edge of theirs. Only the smokeless actions have enough extra material in the receiver to reshape to octagon top, and still have plenty of strength. I can see from the picture of the open breech that yours is still plenty of metal and will be very strong!
It appears to be a nicely done conversion, and whoever did it was a skilled craftsman. Case colors look as good as any I've seen. I own about 16 Rolling Block Sporting Rifles, with most being originals, but I've also built up a few for my shooting needs.
Here's a picture of my original Remington Creedmoor Long-Range rifle to compare to yours for pistol grip style, and receiver shaping.