The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
polychoke

Colt DA cleaning advice

I recently purchased a Cobra .22LR revolver in 'never fired' condition, mfd. in 1971. Before I shoot this 40-year old should I thoroughly clean the internals? If so, can I do an adequate job without a full disassemby? I'm not experienced at that and am not confident enough to tackle it.
Old January 25, 2010, 11:32 AM   #2
longranger

No,
Unless the revolver fails any of the timing check out procedures that can be located @ www.coltforum.com /colt revolver timing checks.Nothing more than a good cleaning to the bore and cylinder.You can contact Colt and see if it is one of the models they will still work on.
I have old Colt's from the 20's and as long as they are mechanically sound no reason to open it up unless something is wrong.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I would recommend putting a drop of fresh lubricant down the front of the cocked hammer, one drop in the area where the cylinder crane enters the cylinder, and one drop where the cylinder crane enters the frame.

After all these years, any lubricant that was there has long since dried up.