The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2002, 09:27 PM   #51
sundance43.5

I don't see how the HK can be overrated for its price. I don't know what you guys are paying for them, buy my dealer quoted me $580 for a new USP .45 stainless brand new. That's about $30 above what it costs him. I would say that's a pretty good price for a fine piece of German engineering.

Chris

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Old January 22, 2002, 09:31 PM   #52
Greg Bell

Glock:barf:
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old January 22, 2002, 10:04 PM   #53
defox

As someone said earlier a gun is overrated only if it fails to do what it is said it can do. Certainly then Sigs, Glocks ,USPs, 1911 and many other handguns cannot then be said to be overrated. The question could then be which one is better in a particular area and that would lead to more meaningful debate.

When the Glock came out in the 80s in America it was a disliked and distrusted pistol. It was called a terrorist gun and seen as cheap plastic. Many rumours circulated about unintentional discharges, KaBooms etc.
So for the glock today to be called 'overrated' is a great tribute to its success as a combat pistol.
Old January 22, 2002, 11:00 PM   #54
Bob Locke

HK P7's.

Haven't seen anything done with them that any other quality 9mm won't do at a fraction of the price.
Old January 22, 2002, 11:04 PM   #55
gburner

Glock!

and IMHO, if you don't like 1911's cause they don't feed JHP consistently, you're puttig unrealstic expectations on the weapon. It was designed to shoot ball ammo, which it will do quite efficiently.
Old January 22, 2002, 11:31 PM   #56
Casey

Wow, here we go again!

"I own A, so B is the most overated".

or

"I like A, so B is the most overated".

So, I'll jump in with my own opinion. (That's what all these web sites are all about, isn't it?)

Overated. Mhhhmm. Any 1911 that costs more than $1200. I say this, and I bought and owned a Les Baer Premier II one time. Therefore, I am at least partially qualified to make a judgement call.

The Les Baer shot well, but it just wasn't enough of an improvement over Kimber/Colt/Springfield.

Glocks? Well, yeah, I think they are overated. Those who are members of the COG (Church of Glock) feel that this one gun is so perfect (no FTF, FTE, Kabooms, etc...) that all other guns, in particular the 1911's, are obsolete. If you don't agree, Pope Gaston will excomunicate you!

Glocks are great for what they are. If you like the feel, they work for you. If you don't, they don't. Glocks are overated by some who think they are perfect.

$.02 worth. Thats all.

Casey

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln
Old January 22, 2002, 11:37 PM   #57
neal bloom

Glock. Rented one once at a indoor range. Had to see what all the fuss was about. Wasn't impressed.

Browning Hi-Power. I love my Browning Hi-Power but I don't think they should command the prices they currently have.

Walther P99. Didn't think it was worth the price being asked.

Makarov. Sure look like they've been through the mill. A little too much kick for such a small package.

FEG PJK-9HP. Looks like a Browning but the bottom line is that it is not a Browning.

Ruger Semi-autos. Extremely long trigger travel and questionable quality control. Great service that makes up for lack of quality. Simply amazing that so little can be done for the trigger travel. Their revolvers are another story.

Any S&W handgun. I go out shooting with a couple of buddies who are Smith devotees. Always bragging about the trigger pull on their Smiths and how my Rugers revos are such clunkers. Amazing how many times their Smith's go to the gunsmith for tuning. Whats more amazing is their grouping isn't better than the Rugers. Most amazing is how S&W devotees will come up with excuses to turn their backs on the ban. 'It's for the trigger pull!"
Old January 22, 2002, 11:40 PM   #58
bullw

I agree with a few other replies. I own a few high dollar custom 1911's. They shoot great, but can you justify the cost? I also own a couple of Kimbers that shoot just as good. As for Glocks, you get what you pay for and then some. They're great pistols. for a modest price tag you get a reliable, durable, and accurate pistol you can depend on.
Old January 22, 2002, 11:51 PM   #59
New_comer

Quote:
Good guns, but not $500 better than several others out there
I bought my USP9 for $525.00 NIB. Please, no, PLEASE!! refer me to a model that shoots just as well, had no problems after 1000+ rds of all types of ammo (yessiree, plain lead bullets work just fine!), a looker at the range (where i shoot, at least), fast trigger, crisp SA, extra heavy DA (i LIKE it!), etc. etc. for $25. You'd be doing the gun community a lot of good for this unselfish act...

Best,

New_comer

Last edited by New_comer; January 23, 2002 at 01:49 AM.
Old January 22, 2002, 11:56 PM   #60
blades67

Most overrated?

Any 1911 priced over 900$ because of the name on the side of the slide.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old January 23, 2002, 12:29 AM   #61
Archer1440

I wonder how many of the HK USP and P7 detractors here actually OWN or have FIRED one ?? Sheesh.

Anyhow, I think the Bren Ten , might qualify as an overrated pistol.

After all, it defined "vaporware" before the computer industry made that a household term... decent trigger, but not particularly durable or well built in all cases.

Another overrated pistol was the ASP.

And of course, El Supremo Overrato...

the Glock... "effective at conversational distances".

And yes, I have shot a Bren Ten, shot lots of Glocks, and I owned an ASP.
Old January 23, 2002, 12:38 AM   #62
Shake

So, I'm still wondering how price has anything to do with a product being overrated.

Call them expensive if you want, but overrated? How are these guns overrated?

Price DOES NOT equal overrated.

You can pay well over $10,000 for a H&K PSG-1 rifle, would you say it was overrated simply because of the price? I sure wouldn't.

Again, if a Glock, H&K, SIG, custom or stock 1911 does what it is supposed to do then how can anyone say they are overrated? Overrated by whom?

Shake

-George Patton
Old January 23, 2002, 01:01 AM   #63
J. Parker

Shake..we hear ya talkin'..let me try to answer. Overrated by whom? By us the owners of these pistols thats who. Who else "rates" these pistols? Some gun guy who writes for a gun rag who really puts a pistol through it's paces alright (a couple hundred rounds if that).
Trust me on this one..you're talkin' to the experts. You know, the folks who actually OWN the said pistols. Before I discovered this great website I was a gun mag fanatic. I wanted info in the worst way.
I RARELY buy a gun mag anymore. This web is my salvation because it's the "real deal". Overrated by whom? ME, that's who. Trust Me, J. Parker
Old January 23, 2002, 01:30 AM   #64
Torquemada

Whatever arms the Hon. Senators Feinstein/Kennedy/Shumer are talking about this week...:barf:
Old January 23, 2002, 01:32 AM   #65
MulsanneArnage

Sig P229,etc. Shoddy Sigs of late. For all the bad posts, HK USP series, Tactical, M23 are stone reliable. Soak 'em, (swamp slime, mud), snow 'em, grit'em, and strip 'em of ALL lube........they cannot be stopped. Try it.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:50 AM   #66
Beyond_Visual_Range

if we count some of the older handguns, then it's Desert Eagle. It's simply a big overblown macho ego-boosting piece of hardware. Sure it glistens under the desert sun, but the ergonomics and price leaves alot to be desired.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:51 AM   #67
Carbon_15

{ Glocks are overated by some who think they are perfect. Glocks are great for what they are. If you like the feel, they work for you. If you don't, they don't. Glocks are overated by some who think they are perfect.}

Well, perfect is just what my Glock's have been. With the exception of a batch of PMC ammo WAY out of specs, both of my Glock 20's have never had any type of failure. That includes FTF, FTE, jams, light strikes, magazine indused problems etc. Except for the batch of PMC ammo that was so far off, it would barly fit in the magazine, my Glock's have been 100% absolutely perfect in the reliability catagory. I refuse to be apoligetic about that...its a simple and true fact. I'm not the type of person who thinks anything but a Glock is crap, or try to push a Glcok on someone who dosnt like 'em. Every Glock I have ever owned or been around has performed as advertised and then some. All of mine have far exceded the manufacturers clames. how is that Overrated. Tell me presisly what Glock is claiming but not delivering. On the other hand, Sig claims to produce an extreamly accurate, reliable pistol with above average durability. My experiance was the polar opposite. That is how I define "overrated". I dont mean to pick on SIG, but its really the only pistol I have had major problems with. ironicly, it probly has the best overall reputation of all my handguns.

And no, Glock arent the be all and end all to someone that dosnt like them. Buy what you like. But that dosnt change the fact that my Glocks have performed flawlessly.
Old January 23, 2002, 02:20 AM   #68
inGobwetrust

S&W Performance Center guns! Take them apart and check out how rough some of the work is. I owned one of the originals, Shorty Forty #66. It shot about 20" below point of aim at 25 feet! Groups were aweful, trigger was aweful, and the supposed hand fitting was really rough and sloppy. I've seen other examples of Performance Center guns and some were nice but none live up to their billing and none are worth what they cost. The revolvers are a LOT better than the autos but still way overpriced.

By the way, I used to work for Lew Hortons, who, at the time had the exclusive right to market and sell the Performance Center guns. I still thought the guns were terrible even though I made good commissions selling them. When dealers asked me my opinion of them, I would say "They are definitely going to be collector's pieces"! I still feel guilty.
Old January 23, 2002, 07:17 AM   #69
edamon2k

for the sig comments:

my p226 makes up for my lack of shooting ability - owned this gun (and a hand gun period now for a little over a month).

At 50 feet i'll put all 10 rounds within a 3-3.5" diameter. Pretty much has floored my gun buddy who got me into this. Dinners have been free as of late.

I've put a little over 1800 rounds through it so far, with me cleaning the gun - 50% chance it's probably not being done right, but it hasn't jammed once since the first 50 i put through it (2 loads got caught cockeyed in the barrel/slide).

So I'm pretty happy with the gun.

Granted my next two purchases will probably be a USP and 1911, so I'm gonna have one over rated collection, lol.

-d
Old January 23, 2002, 08:38 AM   #70
New_comer

A SIG228 here costs $1,800.00!! :barf: If that ain't overrated (OVER-PRICED?!!), then I can't tell what is..

Be wise,

New_comer
Old January 23, 2002, 09:11 AM   #71
Alnamvet

Most over rated???

Any .45 cal 1911 or 1911A1 or 1991A1 not made by the "original guys" and over $1000 is not only over rated, it's insanely over priced!!! You can take a basic Colt, and install what some believe are absolute necessities, add a few "hard core" parts, remove any factory installed "plastic", and throw in a set of Ahrends grips of your liking for well under a $1000, and have a pistol that has no peer...regardless of price or who the current 15 minute of fame 'smith stamped their name on your pistol.

Glock...the AK-47 of pistols.
Old January 23, 2002, 09:18 AM   #72
Joe Demko

Anything produced by Colt in the last 10 years or so. Definitely a case of paying for the name. Smith and Ruger make DA revolvers that are as good or better than anything Colt put out. Springfield, Kimber, and others make 1911's as good or better. Even though this is a handgun forum, I can't resist mentioning that lots of people make AR's of equal or better quality. The SAA? $1200? No thanks, I'll take an Italian copy or a Ruger SA. They have known for a long time that their name was their last asset; otherwise they wouldn't have pushed the "anything else is a just a copy" type marketing.
Old January 23, 2002, 09:50 AM   #73
ojibweindian

Neal

I believe that Ruger does produce a quality gun. I believe that my P95 gives me the best bang for the buck out there today. And as an aside, I happen to like the trigger pull

Anyway, what this all really boils down to is how the phrase "over-rated" is defined. Are there any quantitative measures of "over-ratedness" that we can all agree on? Answer is probably not.

To me, a gun is "over-rated" if there is another gun out there that performs as well at a lower price (never been concerned about asthetics, hence the reason I like Rugers).

Others are very concerned about asthetics (fit and finish, etc.) and are willing to pay high dollar amounts. That's cool with me. However, because of my interpretation of the phrase "over-rated", I'll think they got screwed !

Of course, these other will think the exact same thing about me and my P95
Old January 23, 2002, 10:14 AM   #74
hipwr40

Gotta say that my P7, USP40f and Springfield .45 1911 are by far the BEST shooting overrated pistols I've ever owned

There I go overrating them even more than they already are.
Old January 23, 2002, 10:19 AM   #75
Shake

J. Parker,

I don't have a problem with that. I think I disagree with most everybody here on what guns are overrated because so far no one has put forth a definition of "overrated".

I see a lot of claims that certain guns are overrated simply because of price. As most of us know price doesn't always determine how good a firearm is. Generally when you spend more, you get a better product, but that isn't always the case (i.e. CZ75s, Maks, Rugers). I fail to see a correlation between price and how a firearm is rated by anyone (as far as performance is concerned).

If someone comes up with a definition of just what "overrated" means (i.e. exaggerated accuracy claims, exaggerated reliability claims, etc.) I might agree with it.

ojibweindian,

Maybe I just don't agree with your definition of overrated, but I would say you are referring to "value" or an advantageous purchase.

As far as aesthetics, I'd agree with you on the finish of a gun, but fit has a lot to do with how a gun performs. I wouldn't label "fit" as an aesthetic quality.

Shake

-George Patton