The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 9, 1999, 01:26 AM   #51
Rob Pincus

Honestly, I felt bad about that. I mean, what if a couple guys get tired of talking about high-capacity hydroponics pumps or something and they sent someone over to TFL and said .. "Hey, I think High Capacity is over rated, what about you guys???" Then we went off on tangents arguing with each other about it...
We'd be pissed.

But, then again.. What'll they do? Prune us?

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 9, 1999, 01:45 PM   #52
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Yes … someone may want to weed out the Tactical trouble makers and you know they do have a great deal of experience handling pest…. So don't irrigate them…. I'll stop now before I begin to reap what I have sown.

BTW I have garden every year.

And you know … the word TACTICAL is probably over used.

Old January 10, 1999, 12:39 AM   #53
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Rob,
You shouldn't have mentioned prunes. Now I'd like to discuss...discuss...
Sorry, guys, gotta GO!

------------------
Svoboda ne bezplatnoe

Old January 10, 1999, 01:10 AM   #54
tankertom

Just to add to the tactical silliness, my wife and I had a neighborhood cat we called "Tactical Cat".

It couldn't seem to grasp the fact that holding really still didn't camouflage a big fluffy white cat in the middle of desert landscaping. The birds still seemed to know where it was.
Tom
Old January 10, 1999, 04:06 AM   #55
Patrick

Don L -

I agree with your distressed leather remark. The rugged image of Indiana Jones cannont be purchased in a store.

But, and here is a tip I only give my closest friends, if you want the "worn" look, let your dog chew on the sleeve of your favorite black buffalo hide motorcycle jacket. Now that looks tough. And to think my wife thought I would want a new one! (Okay, I did want a new one. The dog jacket was just a bit to "ruff" for my tastes!)

Chink -
Who was joking? I would love to have an M2 in a ring mount on my current truck (which is green so that would make it camo in Michigan, which would make it a tactical truck. At least in the summer.) But alas, having a weapon in a vehicle in this state requires a CCW (or a badge, hey . . . I DO qualify). That would be just the ticket for those morons in rush hour trafic every day.

All -
My choice for a true sports car is the Alfa Romeo Spider. Now that's a great automobile. Truly a car designed for the tactical twisties .

Patrick
Old January 10, 1999, 05:15 AM   #56
HS

Would I be making a "tactical mistake" if I used the term Tactical Mistake ?
Old January 10, 1999, 02:39 PM   #57
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

only if it gets you killed ...
Old January 10, 1999, 03:32 PM   #58
Rob Pincus

Should refer to some of my friends as Tactical Americans? (you get that or you don't) ??

Seriously, as a marketing person I have obviously overlooked the power of the word "tactical".... by golly, Kodiak definitely has set a record for generating a long thread in the least time with his Tac-Nuke topic here and even my post over at Rec.Gardens has yielded 40 posts in just a few days!
One of them I must share with you all:

------------begin copy for rec.gardens:

>Thanks to those of you who have responded to my question. I was really
>hoping to get some good ideas on gardening, not start a debate on
>Y2k.......

If you really want to horde your garden for the End Times why don't you go all out like a real survivor and buy guns?
Shooting the hungry bastards as they come over the fence could give you that extra special feeling of "being prepared". Of course, if there is real Doom and Gloom going on the ground probably wont stop glowing long enough for *you* to live.

Sharing her salad,
Rosa
-------------------------------

We should send Rosa an invitation to join TFL. or maybe not.

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 10, 1999, 08:45 PM   #59
Douglas in CT

Rob,
I caught this thread late and been really enjoying it - even called my wife over to read with me ( I keep mouthing the words ).....but
You ARE a sick puppy!
Love your style!

Slightly off Center
~Douglas in CT
Old January 15, 1999, 12:35 AM   #60
pat

i just love the tactical guys all dressed up in black in a white town trying to hide , carrying black guns that the military guys would want, trying to repel out of a squad car in a beach town. come on guys get real ,some stuff you can use to serve and protect, but most of this is just wantabe sh... and you know it If you realy want to play force recon or green barret go join the s.a.s. or some thing This doesnt belong on the american street and you know it
Old January 15, 1999, 06:56 AM   #61
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

As you mention Tactical, and Vehicle along with the Hummer and the Jeep, and in another forum, someone difined Custom, I just have to throw in my Tacticl Jeep? 1948 Jeep Overland Pickup Truck.

Custom paint, (1950's flame on hood) mag wheels, High Performance .302 V8 engine, FMX 3spd tranny, edelbrock fuel system, and Hedder exhaust system. (Father Son Project) I think I have covered it all.

I hope you received this in the humoristic manner in which I tried to present it. My wife thinks it's a joke too. The Jeep I mean.

Old January 15, 1999, 01:18 PM   #62
Ed

Now I admit to being an old fart who thinks things like cars, guns, etc., were better in the "good ole days", but I don't think some of you young guys appreciate the sports cars that I remember.

For instance, the old Austin-Healy bug-eye Sprite was more fun to drive than anything twice it's price. They were slow, uncomfortable, unreliable, and they would rust while you watched, but they were FUN. My buddy and I drove his to Sebring sometime around 1960, and the crankshaft broke at 75 mph (flat out) on the way home. The block was ruined, and it was rusted out anyway, so he sold it to the garage owner for parts and we hitched a ride home with a moving van. Our wives were not pleased, but that was normal in those days. I also had mucho fun with an old Jag XK120 before I was married, but that's another, more expensive story.

The point is, if the old Limey cars had had lights that always worked, decent gauges, tops that didn't leak, engines with a life expectancy over 60,000 miles, etc, they would have been more practical, but they were true sports cars, not transportation appliances

Same with the old bikes. If they had had real electrical systems, engines that didn't ruin your garage floor with oil, fuel ines that didn't break, and if your hands were not numb and tingly for an hour after you got off, you would not have believed they were real motorcycles. They might have left you stranded in the dark, and made you late for work every other day because they wouldn't start, but by George they looked, rode, sounded, and even smelled like motorcycles are supposed to. OTOH, maybe I remember these things better than they were at the time. Nah, don't think so.
Old January 15, 1999, 01:43 PM   #63
Morgan

Patrick, Don L, others - when some of my buddies crash our motorcycles (okay, I've done it too) on the racetrack and virtually destroy our leathers we have the leather guy cut off the bottom half, fix the zipper and hem the bottom and then sell the shredded upper as a jacket to street punks who want to look tough! I got $350 for a destroyed upper half of a set of racing leathers this way. Amazing.
Old January 15, 1999, 03:08 PM   #64
Patrick

Morgan -

Cudos for your ingenuity. Some people will do anything to get that "broken in"look. These kids ae not just buying your jackets, they are buyng the opportunity to tell some fantastic stories.

Of course, if your leathers were the flaming red, yellow, orange, or neon green commonplace among sport bikers, they do not really qualify as tactical leathers. Unless of course they are being deployed as a diversionary tactic.

Come to think of it, that might be a great distraction the next time we need to take someone out of a fortified location. Stage a tremendous motorcycle wreck in front of their house and nab them when they come out to gawk!

pat - get real. I have never seen anyone rapelling out of a squad car. As far as the people who are the wannabe's, they generally are not found on tac teams. Guys who can and have walked the walk genreally are very levelheaded folks who desire to keep a low profile and would hate to be shown in operation on the six o'clock news.

The high angle option, while not often needed in most areas, is just another tool that can be used if needed. And it has been needed on more than one occasion to save someone's bacon. In addition, fire departments train people in these techniques and occasionally deploy along with cops for high angle or confined space rescues.

As for the real troops, keep up the good work men. As for the wannabe's, well, they are basically harmless, and everyone should have a goal to reach for. If they ever do attain the rating of a SWAT operator they will eventually realize their earlier folly. By the way, none of us could join SAS, GSG-9, etc because they are foreign military teams. And I've already put in my time seving our country.

Patrick
Old January 15, 1999, 04:44 PM   #65
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, Ed! Sebring wuz there before Tactical, wasn't it? All us guys whut drove our Triumphs and Healeys home in the dark on accounta Lucas electrics needed Streamlights.

The English drink warm beer on account of they have Lucas refrigerators...

Which is more Tactical, a Honda or a Harley? If it's "Tactical", it's supposed to be pretty reliable, ain't it?
Old January 15, 1999, 08:27 PM   #66
Ed

Art E. - If it's supposed to be pretty reliable, then I guess it would be the Harley. (insert snicker here).

Seriously, I hear they've made the old hogs pretty reliable nowadays. They should be, look at what they cost.
Old January 16, 1999, 03:12 AM   #67
Grayfox

This thread is gettin' way out of hand. I think it's time for a "Tactical" withdrawal!
Old August 20, 2002, 02:31 PM   #68
Jim V

bump