The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2008, 08:51 PM   #1
funnelcake

Why not to shoot someone elses reloads...

I'd been waiting to have enough .32 S&W Long/ .32ACP brass to make it worth tumbling. Reviewed today & yep good to go. I remembered I had a box of some crummy looking .32 S&W Long stuff in the safe and had been waiting to pull the bullets to use the brass.

So, upon inspection several primers weren't seated properly (high) & the first bullet I pulled looked SMALL (they're FMJ's). I took a closer look & it looks like someone had also hit the bottom of the brass with a wire wheel on a bench grinder; why the heck?

So, moving on I weighed the bullet to confirm my suspicion: 71gr. .32ACP! Next, I weighed the powder charge: 4.7gr.!!! When I dumped the first couple charges out of the puller they looked familiar. Admittedly pure conjecture on my part, but compared to a jug of Herco I've got laying around they sure looked similar. Besides, I've never heard of a charge of 4.7gr. of ANYTHING in a .32 S&W Long. On top of everything else, there was no crimp & the bullets took only a half-hearted whack of the puller to remove.

I'm glad I took a good enough look back when I'd gotten them to make the decision to chuck on the "for brass only" pile!

Funnel