The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2008, 11:47 PM   #1
bub75

Quick question about older Para Ord frame kits........

Hi, all. I have an older Para Ord alloy frame kit from back in the early '90's when that was all they sold. I actually forgot I had it until I started cleaning out my garage and found it stuck in a roll-around tool box that I haven't been into since I got married in 1999. I originally bought it way back when with the idea of building up a decent full-sized pistol out of it. I honestly can't remember why I bought alloy and not steel but it's a moot point now. I had put the parts from my Auto Ord 1911 in it and shot it some. It's been so long ago I honestly can't remember if it shot well or crappy. I then started hearing about frame cracks with alloy 1911 frames, so I disassembled it, put it in the tool box and forgot about it.

Is the older Para Ord stuff up to snuff? If I buy parts and build up a pistol out of it am I asking for trouble in a couple thousand rounds when the frame deforms or cracks? I'm thinking the box said P13-45 and all I see now on full-sized Para Ord pistols is P14-45. Are the mags the same or am I looking at an orphan now? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bub
Old April 6, 2008, 12:21 AM   #2
darrentxs

I can say only that the P13 is the Colt Commander size frame & P14 is the full size 1911. Both were made for double stack magazines. The P13 mags are different than P14 mags. The P13 mag holds 13 rounds & the P14 magazines hold 14. 10 round magazines are available for both as well.

I can offer no input as to the quality of your frame. I can say that I have an early P13 (full gun) with a steel frame that I bought new in 1994. It has been a great gun with no issues other than the mag springs became weak over the years and were replaced.

Last edited by darrentxs; April 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM.