The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2008, 08:35 AM   #1
SkiShoot

Size of CZ 75B over P01

Hi guys, been learning a lot on this forum here.

How much bigger is the CZ 75B over the P01, in terms of grip width, and the reach to the trigger?

I got to shoot a P01 (first time shooting any CZ) at a local range last night, but the shop near my house doesn't have any CZs to handle. I'm wondering how much of my experience w/ the P01 I could transfer to a 75B, i.e. if they are similar at all... The P01 fit my hand relatively well, the grip was a little chunky (thick), but the reach was fine, and I shot well with it. I see the 75B and P01 are both listed as 1.4" wide... so was wondering if they had nearly identical grips and/or feel. Granted the 75B will be heavier, that's not a problem. I may be able to find one at a shop a ways away, but wanted to ask before taking a long drive.

(BTW, this will be strictly a range gun, possibly will use it as an intro to competitive shooting... like the longer barrel of the 75B, heard more about the reliability & accuracy of it as well)
Old April 4, 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
rellascout

I shoot the P01 well but the 75b is too big. The trigger reach is much longer on the 75B. I found myself adjusting my grip to shoot the 75B so I sold it. A lot depends on the length of your fingers not just the size of your hands.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3
briang2ad

It also depends what you want...

The P01 and 75B have the same frame and grip - essentially. The P01 has a bit more off the beavertail and has a recurved trigger which ever so slightly lessens reach. BUT - if your fingers are medium to thick, this recurved trigger is not always comfortable. It lessens the DA reach, but may not be as good for SA or comfort. (Thnk about how 'straight' 1911 triggers are...).

The other thing is action. If you really like a frame mounted decocker, the P01 is a GREAT firearm - probably about the best. BUT... you can decock the 75B and Compact model easily, and you also have the option for C/L carry and have every pull the same. Also - if you do carry/shoot like a Browning HP, the recurved trigger is NOT necessary - the SA reach on the CZs is very reasonable. And... if you are handy and REALLY want a recurved trigger, you can install the recurved trigger yourself.

The decocker on the CZ P01 and PCR is complex, and makes the gun harder to service and work on. To me it ain't worth the hassle. CZ needs to pull its head out of its fourth point of contact and build a PCR/P01 with a manual safety. But, they are not into customer understanding. (And I own 4).
Old April 4, 2008, 01:24 PM   #4
JDG

If you like the P01, you will also like the 75B fullsize. The grip has the same feel, and the trigger reach in DA is a bit longer, but were talking a 1/16 or 1/8 inch. I can shoot both equally as well.
Old April 4, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Boris Bush

Older CZ-75 grips are FAT. The newer ones I have handled are thinner like the Compact models........
Old April 4, 2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Cliff47

Sounds like another soul seduced to the Dark Side.
Old April 4, 2008, 02:34 PM   #7
SkiShoot

Quite possibly! Have fired an P01, M&P9, XD, & SR9 at the range... have handled a PX4, Couger, and P99 but no bang... so far it's neck and neck between the P01 and M&P. Will try to get a handle on a 75B now, am narrowing things down pretty heavily to a 3 horse race probably, w/ CZ's a 2-out-of-3 odds to win. The M&P has a nice price though and is a real soft shooter.
Old April 4, 2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Willie D

I find my 75b to be quite comfortable but I have a set of the rubber grips on order which I've heard reduces the width. I'll post something when I try trem out.
Old April 4, 2008, 08:29 PM   #9
B.N.Real

EAA Witness makes a different configuration trigger with less of a curve outward at the bottom of the trigger towards the barrel end of the gun.

That's on some of their models.

I believe they do this to address the 'length of pull' issue you're talking about.

I'm surprised as great a gun company as CZ is (and they are) that they havent copied that trigger profile.

But CZ also makes a single action only version of the CZ 75 that has a substantially different trigger that is closer to the grip too.

So,if you like the CZ type design,it appears that there are trigger options if you care to track them down.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:51 AM   #10
briang2ad

Factory Rubber Grips

on the CZ do NOT reduce grip width. (OK - you can squeeze them a little, but they are the same as the plastic ones). They FEEL better though. I think the best way to reduce grip width and have a nice looking gun is to go with CZ factory cocobolos.

Old April 5, 2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Pilot

brainag2ad,

Is that a transitional Pre-B CZ-75? No roll pin for the firing pin block, but its got the newer trigger and hammer. Also an Action Arms import? Pretty rare piece I believe. Very nice.
Old April 5, 2008, 03:20 PM   #12
ChicagoTex

I realize the grip angle is allegedly the same, but I handled the CZ 75B and the P01 extensively prior to my purchase (I really liked the idea of the P01 having stood up to as much torture/military testing as it had as a compact) and found that the CZ 75B fit my large-ish hands like a glove and the P01's relationship of my hand-to-trigger was simply not right. The shorter grip was NOT a factor, there's something about the trigger or reach, or how high the hand sits in the P01 or something that was off for me - so I walked out with the 75B.

I still like the idea of a P01 and often find myself eyeing the CZ75 compact in the hopes that it doesn't have the ergonomic issues I have with the P01, but I've never bothered to actually handle one to find out (for one thing, CZs are rare in my local gun shops.)
Old April 5, 2008, 06:09 PM   #13
JDG

Quote:
I still like the idea of a P01 and often find myself eyeing the CZ75 compact in the hopes that it doesn't have the ergonomic issues I have with the P01, but I've never bothered to actually handle one to find out
The CZ75B fullsize & 75B Compact are identical in that aspect.

Quote:

on the CZ do NOT reduce grip width. (OK - you can squeeze them a little, but they are the same as the plastic ones). They FEEL better though. I think the best way to reduce grip width and have a nice looking gun is to go with CZ factory cocobolos.
The thinnest grips I have found are the Hogue rubber finger grips. They are even thinner than the factory cocobolos. I cut the finger grooves off, and blended the frt edge.
Old April 5, 2008, 06:59 PM   #14
briang2ad

Pilot

That is my PSP - Pawn Shop Special. I did put a NEW slide stop and safety on. It has about the best trigger on any of my CZs. Me PreB MAY be better, but only after 5000 dry fires. I think the transitionals are some of the best ones going. I USED to be uninterested, but find that by taking NEW nags, and not having the FPB, that they are desirable.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:32 PM   #15
MBRinTN

I have short fingers as well, and have a set of the hogue aluminum CZ grips on my full size stainless. While they are thin, there is an irritating edge where the top of the grip blends in to the back. If they were wood I would simply sand it down. I also have a set of Trausch Grips on order; they are advertised as the thinnest CZ grips going, will post a report when I get them.