The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 6, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Dui+fid=?

This man I know has had 3 DUIs and has obviously lost his license. He recently told me he is getting it back soon, and is also awaiting approval on his FID. Now there is no guarantee he will get his FID....but why is he getting his license back....and why the hell is he allowed to get a FID?! I mean I know he hasnt received it yet but someone like that shouldnt even be allowed to apply.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Title edited.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
someone like that shouldnt even be allowed to apply
It would take too much work to stop them from applying, they'd just lie for example. Let him get his hopes up before he gets squashed like a bug.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Lavid2002

So he wont get it. Not to be too upfront on an internet forum but hes planning on getting it and took a step before getting his FID if ya get me?
Old March 15, 2009, 02:04 AM   #5
IZinterrogator

Well, if he bought a gun from an out-of-state dealer and had it shipped to the dealer already, he's pretty screwed. Best case scenario, the original dealer will take it back, refund his money minus a restocking fee, and he will have to pay to have it shipped back. Worst case scenario, and this also applies to having bought it from a local dealer, the original dealer will refuse to refund his purchase and he will have to sell it to the local dealer at a huge loss. Tough break, too bad. Either way, no FID, no gun.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old March 15, 2009, 08:39 AM   #6
snuffynra

dui is misdemeanor traffic in fraction,doesnt have much to do with owning a firearm,i myself have had a dui to here in ny ,has no effect on carry permit in one of the toughest gun law states around,not sure about your states.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
musher

Quote:
dui is misdemeanor traffic in fraction
it depends. A third dui could be a felony.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Double J

In some states like Illinois, a DUI will probably put the offender on probation, causing a temporary loss of the ability to have any weapon. Three DUI's is a felony, and that's all she wrote. Felon can't possess weapon.
In Tennessee, where there is CCW, it may be up to ten year period after last DUI before CCW is restored.
Last time I checked, driving was a privilege, having a gun was still a right.
Things change, and local laws differ. After a DUI, a judge has the last say. He can be lenient or not.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:46 AM   #9
MrClean

Here in MS, you have DUI/1 DUI/2 DUI/3. And yes, DUI/3 (third offense) is a felony. The catch is that in order for an officer to write a DUI2, the first DUI has to be a conviction AND the DUI2 has to be within 5 years from the first one. That's why you see the lawyers delaying as much as possible. It's possible for someone to have 3 or 4 DUI/1's pending!!!!! Yes, it's a mess.... and there are many other states following the same guideline.

Good News: I believe they have/are changing the statutes presently so that you CAN write a DUI2 or DUI3. I don't have anything in writing so will not comment on what I've been told is changing.

Whole thing makes me :barf:

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old March 15, 2009, 02:53 PM   #10
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
Last time I checked, driving was a privilege, having a gun was still a right.
But at some point rights may be taken away, like prison for example. Having 3 DUI's IMHO is one of those that should have consequences that will have an impact on your life. Not saying 3 strikes people shouldn't have a right to self defense, but they have shown themselves irresponsible to the point where they cannot be trusted with cars let alone firearms.
Old March 15, 2009, 03:07 PM   #11
mskdgunman

Anybody can screw up once, so long as the lesson is learned there is no problem. A three time DUI tells me that he has issues with drinking (duh) and controlling himself and his actions. It's bad enough that he gets behind the wheel of a vehicle while #@#*ed up, do we really want him carrying a firearm in the same condition? Can you trust him to display good judgment and self control? He seems to have issues with that and thats only while driving a car. That makes me want to give him a pistol..

Last edited by mskdgunman; March 15, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Filter
Old March 15, 2009, 03:15 PM   #12
jesus5150

Kids...

Parent: Stop yelling
Child: Ok... (continues to yell after 2 minutes)

Parent: I said stop yelling and I mean it
Child: OK! (continues to yell after 3 minutes)

Parent: I told you to stop yelling, now you'll be punished (In my house when I was a child it was physical punishment with a swat to the tushy and I had to sit on my bed with no toys or {If I mouthed off} no dinner and straight to bed... {and we ate @ 6:00}, in 2009 it's less TV and no McDonalds... Instead you must have a TV dinner and must go to bed early @ 11:30.)

Why would the Courts be different...

You used to be reprimanded for your actions, now a lawyer can get anything down to a stern look and a slap on the wristies... Just ask "the Juice"

Last edited by jesus5150; March 15, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old March 15, 2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Lavid2002

Quote:
Well, if he bought a gun from an out-of-state dealer and had it shipped to the dealer already, he's pretty screwed. Best case scenario, the original dealer will take it back, refund his money minus a restocking fee, and he will have to pay to have it shipped back. Worst case scenario, and this also applies to having bought it from a local dealer, the original dealer will refuse to refund his purchase and he will have to sell it to the local dealer at a huge loss. Tough break, too bad. Either way, no FID, no gun.
I dont think were on the same page, there aren't any dealers involed in what I was talking about.

Quote:
dui is misdemeanor traffic in fraction,doesnt have much to do with owning a firearm,i myself have had a dui to here in ny ,has no effect on carry permit in one of the toughest gun law states around,not sure about your states.
Couldnt disagree with you any more. A persons judgement to get into a vehicle while intoxicated is a very selfish decision. It can ans has gotten many innocent people and even whole families killed.Thirteen thousand seven hundred and forty to be exact. In the case fo a DUI a car is a deadly weapon. Someone who is this irresponsible shouldnt be allowed to own or handle a firearm ever. Period.

Quote:
It's bad enough that he gets behind the wheel of a vehicle while xxxxx up, do we really want him carrying a firearm in the same condition? Can you trust him to display good judgment and self control? He seems to have issues with that and thats only while driving a car. That makes me want to give him a pistol..
Agreed

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; March 15, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the profanity filters
Old March 15, 2009, 05:24 PM   #14
snuffynra

thats what makes this country great,we can have different opinions ,i agree about the driving while under the influence ,in fact i can speak for both sides.i have had a dui,long time ago .and there is no reason to get behind the wheel if you are under the influence of anything(drugs also,all of them)i do not any more.and you are right about alcohol related fatalities.alcohol kills far more then firearms,maybe the democrats should ban alcohol instead of assault weapons .it would save more lives,(i dont really mean that)even though its true.i just said a dui in most states does not effect your permit,and in my opinion a person with a clean record who gets a dui should not lose there right to own a firearm .i do think he/she should pay for there crime. just my opinion.
Old March 15, 2009, 05:25 PM   #15
Tom2

Was he ever accused of S.W.I? Probably alot of drunks that get nasty when boozed up and should not have a gun, even if they never try to DUI. And some fool that gets too much to drink at a dinner party/wine tasting and a DUI that is no more a threat with a gun than your gramma.
Old March 16, 2009, 07:52 PM   #16
Lavid2002

Quote:
in my opinion a person with a clean record who gets a dui should not lose there right to own a firearm
Agreed. But three DUIs? Clearly this guy has a lapse in judgement.

I know my opinion on him is different from yours and I think there are allot of variables not taken into consideration simply because you dont know him. I know the guy and he lives in the same place I work. Hes not the nicest guy when he takes medication. This difference in opinion is good because it gives me an idea of how the LAW will look at him, instead of someone who really knows him.

Quote:
Was he ever accused of S.W.I?
\\
Unfamiliar with the acronym.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:37 PM   #17
snuffynra

you are right there,i do not know him.if he is not learning from the first mistake then my opinion is ,you then have to get overly tough,i come from a old school father,i could make a stupid mistake and pay the piper for my error.but if i made it again in a short period of time,he took that as a challenge to his authority,and i can assure you IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN AGAIN ! if he is a habitual offender ,then he is a danger to society and should be dealt with.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:36 PM   #18
elkman06

Quote:
Couldnt disagree with you any more. A persons judgement to get into a vehicle while intoxicated is a very selfish decision. It can ans has gotten many innocent people and even whole families killed.Thirteen thousand seven hundred and forty to be exact. In the case fo a DUI a car is a deadly weapon. Someone who is this irresponsible shouldnt be allowed to own or handle a firearm ever. Period.
Second comment is spot on. While some get lucky in a DUI situation and the only impacted person is the perp, other times there are huge consequences. I personally helped pull the bodies of a MOM,DAD,and 3(COUNT THEM)3 LITTLE KIDS out of a burned up minivan. Head on'd by a drunk driver. I thank God every nite that this never happened to me in my wilder days, and have no sympathy for those that have not learned these lessons or gained enough common sense not to do it. I completely agree w/ those rights going away under certain circumstances depending on severity and /or frequency.
Honestly, 3 small bodies still in their carseats makes an impact on you.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old March 17, 2009, 09:46 AM   #19
fat old gun nut

DUIs

I am a recovering alcoholic and haven't had a drink for over 26 years. When I was drinking I didn't have guns and should not have them. Anyone with 3 DUIs has a bad drinking problem and has no business owning a firearm. For the safety of his family and friends I agree 100% that his rights should be suspended.
Old March 17, 2009, 10:09 AM   #20
woad_yurt

From an alcoholic who's 6 3/4 years sober:

Drunks do what they do because they think we can get away with it. Every time we slide by, it just reinforces that belief. There's a whole twisted mental process going on; the rationales we come up with are amazing. While actively drinking, we're inherently selfish, sacrificing family, friends, cars, passersby and ourselves because we insist upon drinking, doing it our way. Never let anyone convince you that alcoholics can't control themselves. We can before we take that first drink of the day. Anybody who's had the slightest repercussion from drinking but decides to drink yet one more time is making a selfish and very conscious decision. And, sadly, an alcoholic can't be convinced to do otherwise by anyone except themselves.

I didn't stop until I went out of my place three times in a row and ended up in the back of a cop car each and every time. It then became obvious to thick-headed me that my method was a failure, that I had to do something different.

How many of us will intentionally step off the roof of a 5 story building to see if we could get away without without injury? Not too many of us would try to get over on gravity because gravity always wins.

3 DUIs???!!! There's a person who keeps doing it his way. He's a danger in a car and would be no less a danger carrying a gun.

I wish that my 3 cop encounters had occurred much earlier in life. I may have had an extra decade or two of pleasantness in my life rather than pure the misery I gave to myself and those around me. A "normal" person does not drink away the day because they don't like how they feel. There are many ways to deal with life's pressures and stresses; it just takes more effort. Drinking as a means of coping is the lazy, selfish method.

My rant is over!

PS: July 5 (plus or minus a day; it was a bit hazy back then) makes it 7 years!
PPS: Congratulations, fat old gun nut! I hope to beat your streak some day.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:00 PM   #21
Lavid2002

Nice to hear you guys got out of it : D
Old March 26, 2009, 09:33 PM   #22
Lavid2002

He got it....showed me today.....
Old March 27, 2009, 12:13 AM   #23
eagleno49

Getting a DUI and and being convicted of DUI are two different things. It is possible that his charges were reduced but still had to go through license suspension.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:34 PM   #24
HiBC

I live alone,work alone,and get off @ 10:45PM.If I want to talk to a person,my local bar is the easiest place.

Last night,I stopped in and ran up a $3 dollar tab on 2 cheap beers I was about to go,when another customer wanted to buy me a shot.He was celebrating getting his ankle monitor off,something to do wth drinking and driving.
I declined,explaining I had never had an alchohol offense and chose to keep it that way.
I got the "Aww,come on.."

I said,you know,government money is tight,and a DUI is good for about $10,000 in revenue. Those guys can be like coyote hunters looking for $10,000 pelts.I want to keep mine.

Like I said,he just got his ankle monitor off.

Eventually,I did have a Johnnie Walker on him,then I locked up my pickup and walked home.

A fellow has to make choices
Old March 28, 2009, 01:01 AM   #25
Bud Helms

Okay, guys. Time to close this one too.

Off topic.
Closed Thread