The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 27, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Swampghost

USMC proper nomenclature

I know "Once a Marine, always a Marine". Does this apply posthumously?

My uncle, a WWII vet recently passed and I want to get the terminology correct. I see 'ex-Marine' and to me that would suggest a dishonorable discharge. I also see 'former Marine' used.

He went from Omaha Beach to the liberation of the concentration camps. I'm writing what I know about him and want the terminology to be correct.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
gretske

Either "Marine" or "Former Marine" would work. Avoid "ex-Marine" for the reasons you suggested.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:21 PM   #3
georgiaboy47

He should be reffered to as a Marine. I know it may be a little moto, and I'm sure someone will jump on me about saying what's wrong with being moto, but unless he was kicked out of the Marine Corps, he will always be a Marine. And if he was at Omaha Beach, he's one of the few Marines in the European Theater. It would be kinda cool to know what he did, because I think there was only 20 or so Marines involved with the entire European Theater of Operations. I could be wrong on that, but that was what I thought I had heard at one time.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 27, 2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Swampghost

I spent quite a bit of time with my uncle sailing the 'dog watch' and the pieces came out slowly. His platoons and the Army Rangers were the first ones in and cleared the 'alleys' to get to the Atlantic Seawall. They were also shelled by friendly fire.

According to Mom and Dad the concentration camps were what affected him the most and he never spoke about them at all. Dad was in the Navy in the Pacific.
Old March 27, 2009, 11:16 PM   #5
georgiaboy47

Cool. That's probably one of the reasons we got on the beach in WWII. HAHA, no offense to the army, but a little personal pride coming through for the Marine Corps. But I can understand not getting over the concentration camps. I can't imagine what it was like even.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 27, 2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Swampghost

Still looking for the proper reference. He's passed, is he still a Marine? Former Marine?

I'll go to Obama if I have to. :barf:
Old March 27, 2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Jekyll

To be more specific:

Former Marine = An officer or enlisted who did 1 or more tours and was honorably discharged with less than 20 years of service. This also includes those Marines who complete boot camp or Officer Canidate School and are then discaharged for administrative reasons (non-punative).

Retired Marine = Officer or enlisted who was retired from the Corps either by reaching 20 or more years of service or medically retired at any point after earning the title of Marine.

Ex Marine = Those we thinned from our ranks because we didn't want them for some adverse reason. The are people who recieved less-than-honorable discharges. Marines don't always recognize them by the title Marine however; those that distinguished themselves during their service or through combat may be afforded the title of Marine by those aware of their accomplishments. Please don't use this term unless you are a Marine. Most sand crabs wrongly use it for former or retired Marines. Use it incorrectly and we will tactfully correct you. Use it a second time and we will omit the tact from the next correction.

Marine = A title shared by Former Marines, Retired Marines, Active Duty Marines and Reserve Component Marines. Also given as an informal term of endearment and brotherhood to Navy Corpsmen serving with, or that have served with Marines. The title Marine is a life-long bond of brotherhood that binds Marines through shared history, training, commitment, oaths of allegiance, common hardships and combat. Marines have a deep respect for each other and it is amazing how 17 year old privates and 100 year old Former or Retired Marines share the bond. Each recognizes the Marine and generational differences disappear. The only difference between WWI veterans and today's Marines are the weapons they use and liver spots. The rest is pure, unadulterated Marine and hasn't changed. One last test for the title: only those that successfully graduate boot camp or OCS earn the title of Marine. You can be the best recruit but you must march past the reviewing stand to earn the title (Corpsmen exepted).

One last category of Marine is the Mustang. An enlisted Marine promoted to an officer from the ranks. Can be either a regular officer or a Warrant Officer.

As to your uncle: If, as you say, he served in the Corps and was honorably discharged, or he served honorably in combat, he is a Marine for life and in death. He is currently guarding the gates of Heaven. I feel his loss and salute him.

Semper Fi
Still Green and Mean but no longer Lean.
USMC (Retired)
Old March 27, 2009, 11:44 PM   #8
scorpion_tyr

I'm not in the USMC, and the few friends I have that are would do bad things to my fingers if I woke them up this late to ask this question. Until I can talk to them tomorrow, or you find a better answer. This is all I can find:

http://www.answers.com/topic/former-marine
Old March 27, 2009, 11:47 PM   #9
scorpion_tyr

Here's what wikipedia says:

Quote:
Veteran Marines
The ethos that "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" has led to the objection to the use of the term "ex-Marine", leading to a myriad of forms of address for those no longer on active duty:

"Veteran Marine" or "Prior-service Marine" can refer to anyone who has been discharged from the Corps.
"Retired Marine" refers to those who have completed 20 or more years of service and formally retired.
"Former Marine" is considered acceptable among those who are honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps.
"Sir" or "Ma'am" is appropriate out of respect.
According to one of the "Commandant's White letters" from Commandant Alfred M. Gray, Jr., referring to a Marine by their last earned rank is appropriate.[75]
Marines that have left service with a less than full honorable discharge might still be considered Marines (depending on the view of the individual), however that title is also in keeping with a stigma, and many will avoid the issue altogether by addressing the individual by name with no other title.
Old March 27, 2009, 11:49 PM   #10
scorpion_tyr

I didn't see Jekyll's post until it was too late. I'd take the word over an actual Marine before anything some "Flyboy" like myself pulls off the internet.

Last edited by scorpion_tyr; March 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 28, 2009, 12:22 AM   #11
Jekyll

The Answers.com link was accurate.

The wiki part about Prior-Service-Marine was innaccurate in a vernacular sense. Prior-Service Marine is used in common practice to denote a Marine who reenters the active or reserve component AFTER being honorably discharged.

A related term is Prior-Enlisted. This is used to denote an officer that had prior service as an enlisted. This differs from the Mustang in that the Prior-Enlisted was not promoted from the enlisted ranks but sought a commission on his or her own after completing an enlisted tour or after graduating college while serving as a drilling reservist.The Mustang was recognized for his/her abilities while serving and was promoted.

The moto or creed that "Once a Marine, always a Marine" is not a slogan or a cute catch phrase. It is our most prized possesion and an identity we feel throughout life. It combines with the second element of being a Marine in that we "take care of our own". As a Marine, I know I am never alone and that I have a network I can look to for support as necessary.

Maybe some of the young-uns on the forum will grow a desire to experience this brotherhood. It provides a firm core for the rest of your life.
Old March 28, 2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Bud Helms

Good info. And with all due respect to the USMC (for whom I have plenty), this isn't firearms related.

Closed.
Closed Thread