The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 7, 1999, 07:37 PM   #1
Johnny Got His Gun.1

I'm just beginning my gun collection. Since I was a teenager, I've had the two shotguns and one rifle in my collection: SBS 12 gauge and SS .410, both from Savage Arms and a .22 Mauser, bolt action, that's about fifty years old. One month ago I became the proud owner of my first handgun, a Glock 19 9mm (I LOVE it!!!).

Besides the guns, I have a collection of swords, Oriental and European.

Knives aplenty, from folders to fixed-blade along with some Oriental weapons (nunchakus and manrikigusari).

I'd like to hear what the rest of you enjoy collecting. Thanks.
Old November 7, 1999, 09:49 PM   #2
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

Knives. I've been told by several anti's that the reason guns are bad is that they are "less personal" than knives or other h2h weapons and so encourage mroe violence--so I added the "personal touch."

Just kidding. I've always loved knives but I have very few that were designed as weapons.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron
Old November 7, 1999, 10:13 PM   #3
Jim V

"Patton" 1913 Sabers, bayonets, K-bars, stuff like that.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old November 7, 1999, 10:37 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Was into survival/fighting/utilitarian knives before firearms. Mostly mass produced like SAK, Buck, Cold Steel, etc. Do have a couple Randalls and Chris Reeves though. Been meaning to get into (usable) custom knives.

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited November 07, 1999).]
Old November 7, 1999, 11:04 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have a genuine US Civil War calvary saber. Bought it for $60 in lieu of a fencing saber when I was taking saber in college. Funny, when I took it to class, nobody wanted to fence with me.

Also have a few airguns (Farco .410 gauge air shotgun, Crossman 1100 airshotgun, RWS SigP225) which I find very fun to play with.

And yes, like a lot of folks here, I have knives and bayonets.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old November 8, 1999, 11:05 AM   #6
CHEMNCO917

Chemical Defense gear.... obviously if you can't tell by my handle...... I used my collection to teach NBC & NBC history at a reserve school here in the midwest....

Old November 8, 1999, 07:41 PM   #7
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Johnny,

I have had several kusarifundo (manriki~kusari). Bud Malstrom in Atlanta makes a good one. I've destroyed plenty of dead trees with his.

I have several bokken, a handful of fighting knives (my favorite is my EDMF tanto), a shinai, a couple of bo's, some jo's and hanbo's, and a WW II Japanese NCO sword. Dale Sandberg is in the process of making a short sword to my specs. (It will be a wakizashi with a katana-length handle.)

Are you interested in ninpo? Two excellent dojo's are in Atlanta (Bud Malstrom of the Bujinkan and John Orth of the Jinenkan). Write if you want more info.

[email protected]
Old November 8, 1999, 07:43 PM   #8
ROSANGHAL

Decent collection of pistols: Sigs, Glocks, Kahr, Kimber, Smiths, Taurus,

One rifle Bushmaster!

Knives: Custom Emersons, Chris Reeve, Phil Boguszewski, Joel Chamblin, a ton more and even more production blades.

Asian martial arts weaponry: Kama, Nunchukus, some Katanas and short swords, weighted chains, tonfas, balisongs

Trying to save up for a Samurai suit to display in my office.

I have been facinated with these tools ever since pre-teens and began my collecting on just about everything I could get my hands on.

Hmmmmmmm I also played violent video games, watched violent movies and not once did I ever think about going to school and hurting a bunch of people.

Wonder what that make me???????

Ross T.
Old November 8, 1999, 07:59 PM   #9
Johnny Got His Gun.1

Awesome, everyone! I seem to have come into the company of some interesting individuals.

Spectre, I forgot to mention my shinai and bo (don't know why). You seem to have trained, or, at least, that's the suggestion I'm preceiving. Go to my other post on this BB. . .
Old November 8, 1999, 09:09 PM   #10
Huntman

I have a land mine collection.Really only one.An anti personal mine I brought back from the Sinai desert about 3 in. dia.and 2.5 high;designed to take your foot off-russian made.Oh--I also have a few long guns and pistols.
Old November 8, 1999, 09:29 PM   #11
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Knives and sharp steel. Have made some, have a decent collection of customs and have a custom "using" sword on order.

Iron & steel took us out of the mud and gave us the universe, and we must be respectful.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old November 9, 1999, 07:03 PM   #12
Gino

I collect history. Mausers, Enfields, Nagants, etc.
Old November 9, 1999, 09:10 PM   #13
house

I collect edge weapons mostly asian sowrds and alos i have alot of bench made full auto,
benchmade butter fly knives. and other folders and fixed blades.
Old November 9, 1999, 11:04 PM   #14
EQUALIZER

Hold onto your hats everyone. I'm sure that MY collection will impress you. I've got a drawer full of #2 pencils.....Did you know that there are 10 ways to kill a man with a pencil?

Primitive...but an effective weapon in the highly trained hand.

I have a hard time saying that with a straight face. Actually, G. Gorden Liddy pulls that one off better than anyone.

PS: After all, you've heard the saying, "The pencil....er....pen is mightier than the sword."

Yeah, I've got at least three dozen pens in my collection too. Some of them originals.

Robert
Old November 10, 1999, 06:18 AM   #15
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

scars
Old November 10, 1999, 09:30 AM   #16
Jedi Oomodo

Only one in the collection now, but I like European swords. I don't like to but the cheap, $400 machined stainless steel replica blades you see everwhar. The one I have was made by Angel Sword, an impressive sowrd maker in west TX. If any of you are into Renaissance Faires, you kigth want to give these guys a call for your costume pices. Unfortunately, there's only two Ren Faires they do- Scarborough, in Waxahachie, TX, and one up in NY.

I'm not so much into the Asian weapons, mostly due to my distaste for the japanese hypocrisy regarding weapons and personal defense. I also like lightsabres...

Addendum: it appears that the Angel Sword web site is gone... Don't know what happened, sure hope they didn't go belly up. That'd be a real shame.
------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Oomodo (edited November 10, 1999).]
Old November 10, 1999, 10:16 AM   #17
UZI4U

I try to collect unique antiques. Basically odd ball types of antiques. TVs shaped like flying saucers. Things like that. Currently, I have been collecting Schwinn Krate bicycles. They look so cool it is hard to pass one up without saying so. Some collect to live, I live to collect.
Old November 10, 1999, 11:57 AM   #18
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

GI Joes

Mostly 70's vintage Action Team stuff.

I have one really good knife, a cold steel tanto I bought for $130 in 1986, I don't think the price has EVER gone down on them.

But since I've taken an interest in fencing... swords are looking more interesting.. esp. sabres.

Dr.Rob
Old November 12, 1999, 09:27 PM   #19
Ron L

I've got several knives as well. A couple Gerbers, Spyderco, BlackJack, and Dozier. My favorite edged weapon would have to be my 1849 Enfield bayonet. Two fool long blade, blood groove, brass hilt. More scary than functional though.

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society

Old November 12, 1999, 10:06 PM   #20
Ewok

Other than firearms, I collect knives. I have almost 30 Spydercos, including around 5 that are serial numbered (the first 1000 of each model are numbered). Also 2 SpeedTechs, including one of the limited edition (74 were made) "IPO" models.
Old November 13, 1999, 01:28 PM   #21
Short Bursts

Knives. They never jam and they never run out of ammunition/
Old November 14, 1999, 08:33 AM   #22
Giz

I love my Microtech OTFs, Randalls and Chris Reeve Sebenzas. But my biggest passion would have to be English Setters. Everyone needs one or 7.
Old January 31, 2000, 01:27 PM   #23
Hard Ball

Knives of course.
Old January 31, 2000, 03:27 PM   #24
Skyhawk

I have been collecting knives since I was a kid. (I still think that I am a kid.) You are never too old to enjoy a second childhood.

Although I have a lot of fixed blades, I prefer folders. High quality folders are individually unique as their makers. Each is distinctive in materials and design.

My real passion is autos. I “inherited” an Italian switch that my ex’s grandfather brought to this country as a child. I have had numerous offers for this knife but I will not part with it.

I purchased numerous Colt Barry Wood and Gerber Paul knives, among others, in the 70’s for my personal collection. Those particular knives are currently selling in excess of 10 times what was paid for them back then, if you can find them. Certain knives, purchased purely for pleasure, have risen in value to the point that they are now considered a retirement investment (no tax upon cash sale).

I hope the new Pauls and Sebenzas, among others, appreciate in value at the same rate over the coming years. (A few will, most will not.)

I also collect Colt memorabilia. Back in the 30’s Colt made electrical equipment, among many other things. I have several nameplates, in excellent condition, from Colt equipment from this era. I have researched these items for years, through numerous groups including Colt, and have concluded that these items are extremely rare. Whenever I exhibit them to a fellow “Colt” collector they are always interested in obtaining them. I feel that these items need to go to the NRA Firearms museum upon my passing on for others to appreciate.

Skyhawk
Old January 31, 2000, 10:24 PM   #25
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Skyhawk...good platform. They've demilled most of them now, haven't they? Pity. I know a lot of us would have scrimped and saved for one.

I've added several additional staves since last post. Someone I used to train with is making impact weapons from a composite. It's nearly indestructible to impact. I've also purchased a 7' Purple Heart bo.