The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 30, 2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Bella

Scary Purchase?

A local gun shop has a gun that has me interested. It is one of those New England Handi Rifles. This one is chambered for the .500 S&W Magnum. I would have no real use for such a gun, but that probably is the appeal. I do have a concern. I am not too recoil sensitive, but I do have limits. If I buy this gun and shoot it, will I have to put my orthopedic on speed dial?

If I did purchase, what game would it be adequate for?
Old October 30, 2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

It doesn't kill on the back end. A real fun gun, often used for hunting the elusive Camo, from which we get camo-flage. Goat
Old October 30, 2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Bigfatts

I haven't shot one so I can't comment on the recoil but as far as game goes it can do just about anything. I even recall a tv show where a guy took a Cape Buff with a .500 Smith revolver. Out of a rifle I assume it would have even better ballistics. Dunno if I'd take a single shot for DG, but the round can do it.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:05 AM   #4
zombieslayer

haven't shot one, but watch a few videos of them on youtube before you get one. Some think they recoil pretty hard. My only beef with the Nef and HR guns is that they like to open the breech themselves after firing. I'm thinking of getting one in .308, and maybe one in .223 but have seen a few at the range with problems. Idk... I'm looking into it
Old October 30, 2009, 07:19 AM   #5
rickyjames

i have shot the 500 in a handgun it is no big deal in a handgun. the only painful part is paying for the ammo.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:27 AM   #6
buymore

I would have to think in a rifle configuration it should be fairly manageable! If guys can handle the pistol, you should have no problems with it in rifle set up.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:10 AM   #7
crimsondave

I thought the hani rifle kicked like a government mule in 500. And I shoot a 375 H&H fairly often.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:17 AM   #8
gotigers

I have a New England Pardner, single shot, 12GA, 3-1/2". shooting 3-1/2" turkey mags will bring blood to my skin after three shots. Grown men have told me they will never shoot it again. 2oz of lead shot from a 3-1/2" mag load has a 2 gov. mule kick.

Shooting it is never fun. Great for tearing a turkey's head off, but i only shoot 2-3/4 mags out of it when fun shooting.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:19 AM   #9
zombieslayer

My first shotgun was an NEF .410. I've always had a couple, but some of them do KICK. MY 12ga with a heavy load will bruise you!