The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 9, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Dean407

CCW for dress clothes?

So, I love my HK P2000SK. The VMII is great with an untucked shirt.

I carry ALL the time with it when I am dressed casual.

However, I have been sticking the gun in my briefcase when I dress up.

This is less than ideal, of course.

I do have the deep clips for the VMII that go on the pants and the belt goes over that. I tried it and just as I got in the door coming home it fell out.

To be blunt I have a muscular ass. Sorry. It had to be stated. :embarassed:

My hip/butt pushes out the holster at an angle. One of the clips came totally out as I get in/out of my car often.

Plus, I was still confused how my dress shirt was suppose to cover the top of the holster. I get pull it out a bunch so it goes over the top? But that looks rediculous- and regardless my hip/ass pushes the clips out.

SO......that method of carry is out. I switched the clips back tot he belt loops for casual wear.

The gun goes in my briefcase.

I saw what MAY be a better IWB holster as I searched all over...but it's the same system. No matter what I think IWB will not work for my dress clothes.

But wait...even in hot weather I can wear a sports coat. So, I tried to put the SK in my inside pocket and it was just too heavy/bulky and the butt didn't clear the pocket. :frown:

Crap. Back in the briefcase it went.

I am wondering about this:

http://www.activeprogear.com/234.html

It looks doable with some shirts. But still- reaction time will be way down having to untuck, lift then draw. Dunno. I think my body is built well for that though.

There's also smart carry:

http://www.smartcarry.com/scinvi.htm

But it seems people need to wear VERY loose pants for that.

Hmm...dunno...maybe it could work. Actually, I can't see how the gun in a pouch wouldn't be a HUGE odd buldge when sitting down with customers.

So, my thoughts were leaning towards getting a try pocket gun. S&W AirLite or something similar- maybe a kahr.

I COULD put the SK in the DeSantis pocket holster and while it doesn't look bad walking around, it feels heavy and when sitting it a big ass buldge that looks like a book. That's just too uncomfortable to me to wear all day.

My thoughts were to keep the SK in my briefcase which I have by my side always, but have a true pocket gun I could use until I could get to the SK - IF I still needed it.

I cannot wear an ankle holster as I have HUGE calves.

I just tried putting my SK in the sport coat jacket pocket by itself and while it goes mostly in crooked- it's just still too heavy.

Keep in mind it's Orlando and most of my clothes is very lightweight.

Should I try a good shoulder rig? Just put the gun wear it would end up and I dunno. Plus, it just seems awkward to access.

I could always have my sport coat and suit jackets pockets modified to fit the gun. Still the weight really pulls that side of the jacket down a lot.

Those of you with flat asses/hips are lucky for IWB!

Suggestions?

I could get someone to create a compartment on the back of the briefcase with Velcro so I'd have very quick access. I may do that plus get a very slim true pocket gun to always keep in my pocket.

The new Walther PPS looks pretty attractive for that purpose. That or a small wheel gun or MAYBE a kahr.

Thoughts?

Dean
Old September 9, 2007, 10:05 PM   #2
BikerRN

Talk to a custom holster maker.

Also, I buy my pants tailored to accomodate my gun and my jackets too. I also have a "gun patch" sewn in to my suit coats to protect the lining. Give one of the "name" holster makers a call and talk with them. They may have a solution for you that will allow you to carry what you want to without having to "downsize" in the gun department. Also, if you order a holster, order a belt too. The best holster in the world will do you no good if it's held in place by a crappy belt.

Biker
Old September 9, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Since my primary CCW is a Seecamp 32, I can carry whilst wearing most of my outfits (ie jeans and T-shirts)...

Some of my more dressy outfits are a problem even with that small auto. My last trip to NYC, I picked up a lovely short short set with a tube top which leaves me no place to conceal except in my purse, unless I do a thigh high set of boots and then I can just tuck the gun away.

Now with cocktail dresses or sun dresses, I just sew a small pocket halfway up the skirt portion, so that all I have to do is lift my skirts and draw.

I dont really dress up that often so its not that big a problem.

WildsartorialandclassygentlemanAlaska TM
Old September 9, 2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Dean407

BikerRN, good suggestions.

I have all sorts of body issues. LOL.

I just bought some more dress clothes and after ordering custom shirts online I asked the tailor if she could do some stuff for me.

Shirts like Hugo Boss and Calvin Klein usually cut exactly where my shoulders slant down. However, even my small biceps are too bid for those shirts.

"Slim fit" shirts still have WAYYYY too much material on the sides and the shoulder starts like 2-3 inches below where my shoulders square off.

Turns out I have tro get regular parachute sized shirts so that they can reduce the shoulder area material THEN taper the sides in. I am not in great shape by any means. 5'10" 215lbs 45 chest and 36 waist with 10lbs of gut above that.

I do deadlifts, real squats and chest work though. IF I didn't have to get in and out of cars a lot, the clips with the VMII would work just fine.

At this point I'm leaning towards having custom pockets made for my jackets,,,and I'll just get another gun to even out the weight!

Oh- and maybe a S&W 340 for the front pocket always.

Dean
Old September 9, 2007, 11:40 PM   #5
sholling

How about a holster built into an organizer? The Galco Hidden Agenda or the Defense Planner. This would look totally natural in a business environment. There is a guy on ebay that sells a clone of the second one for $35 in leather.

Old September 10, 2007, 12:46 AM   #6
Hayley

A light caliber, but I carry my KT p-32 in the inside breast pocket of linen, light wool and silk dress suit coats with no printing or sagging.
Old September 10, 2007, 03:02 AM   #7
BikerRN

All of you that think you can't hide a big gun because of clothing and such need to talk to a holster maker and learn to "dress around the gun".

I'm 5'06", 140 pounds soaking wet and I carry two guns daily with reloads. My "Primary" is a 4" N-Frame Revolver and my BUG is a 2" J-Frame in my pocket. I tend to wear untucked Polo Shirts and Cargo Shorts or a suit. Both styles of clothing conceal equally well.

I've been carrying for 20+ years and have had two "encounters" of the "unsocial kind". They taught me that having a gun accessible to either hand is very important. Also, the full size gun is easier to shoot well, and I want every advantage I can get. You can never have too big of a gun or too much ammo when the fecal matter hits the rotating thing.

At this point I'm considering a "Snubbie" N-Frame for a pocket gun and putting the J-Frame on my ankle.

Biker
Old September 10, 2007, 06:58 AM   #8
jehu

Seecamp LWS380 or Rohrbaugh R9 9mm!!
Old September 10, 2007, 07:41 AM   #9
dwatts47

For what its worth, certain guns in certain holsters WILL NOT remain hidden and cause wardrobe malfunctions for my skinny @ss as well.

One such weapon/holster is the SiG 229/Galco Royal guard, which is remarkably close in thickness to your HK and VMII. The answer for me was a thinner gun/holster for dress clothes. Glock 27/ SiG 225 in identical make Don Hume IWB clip ons.

It also helps that I get my pants 1.5 -2" bigger in the waist so I can position the guns and use my belt to 'lock it in place'.
Old September 10, 2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Manedwolf

For general business, I have a daytimer that's half daytimer, half holster in leather.

For more formal things, a well-tailored Italian suit will conceal a vertical shoulder holster.
Old September 10, 2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Dean407

Well, I just ordered a smart carry, a kangaroo shoulder holster and an active carry shoulder holster.

Maybe one will work out.

Dean
Old September 10, 2007, 07:48 PM   #12
parrothead2581

Make sure to let us know.

And include some pics!
Old September 11, 2007, 04:57 PM   #13
SpectreBlofeld

Might also wanna check out the Pager/Cell Phone Pal. http://www.pagerpal.com/

Seems like a good option for tucked-in-shirt-sans-jacket carry option, though I've never used one. Anyone have a review?

I'm in the same situation at work, and I have also been keeping mine in my briefcase.

EDIT: hmm, might wanna hold off on that purchase, based on this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=84177

Seems the company doesn't like to warranty their products.
Old September 11, 2007, 10:42 PM   #14
Archie

I've always thought a PPK in .32 ACP in a shoulder holster fit well with a dinner jacket.

Seriously, the only way to wear a gun and not have it drag down your trousers is either a shoulder rig or a belly band type of arrangement. Of the two, the shoulder holster is probably more comfortable and easier to access.

Now that I think of it, most formal clothes have suspenders. One could find suspenders that would bear the weight of the sidearm, but I think that's getting more complicated than is needed.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 12, 2007, 09:34 PM   #15
Dwight55

Dean, . . . I hope you like your shoulder holster, . . . it is very much my favorite carry mode. Works great with snap front short sleeve shirts, as I am not a "shirt tail hanging out" guy.

Just one quick word though, . . . if you are wearing a jacket, . . . why worry about going to clips? Get loops the same color of your belt, . . . no one will ever notice, . . . at least it works for me.

The poster who mentioned the belt issue is also probably correct. Get a gun belt, . . . one made for carrying a gun, . . . makes all the difference in the world.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 13, 2007, 01:00 PM   #16
tegemu

(8% of the time, dress or casual. I carry a 3" .45ACP in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com, pocket holster.
Old September 13, 2007, 05:56 PM   #17
Avenger11

I carry a NAA 32 Guardian. I'm a little fat so I can put it almost anywhere and it doesn't "print" through the flab.
If I'm going to a really classy place and dress up, I will just stick it in my girdle or my Ecru nylons. Iv'e tried tieing a string to it and use it as a medallion, but it distracts from my bountiful cleavage.
Old September 13, 2007, 08:02 PM   #18
Dean407

Yeah- I need to get a couple quality gun belts for sure. I got the active carry shoulder system and I'm surprised it may work out well for me.But- loops won't work because in FL I will not wear my jackets ALL the time.

Anywho...I got a new gun. This is always the best answer even if there is no question.

I will have the smart carry tomorrow or Sat. Got the active wear shoulder rig and that may work well. But...also got another gun.

Went to local shop JUST to feel out some guns as they are usually VERY over priced.

Looked at Kahr and even Rohrbaugh. Looked at the pricey 340 S&W 357 magnum. Looked cool, lightweight, but darn...

Considering this isn't my primary carry I didn't want to go that high.

I liked the kid who seemed to like nice weapons- had a Rohrbraugh himself. Looked at the S&W 642 which had $500 and change on the sticker. Again- I figured I'd get it from Buds or gunbroker. But I really wanted a solution now.

He then mentioned they had them on sale for $389! That's what Buds has them for. SOLD! Got it, and new DeSantis pocket holsters they just got in, plus 1 box practice ammo and 1 box Speer carry ammo.

Will carry this little guy with me ALWAYS under any conditions. Granted- just 5rds .38 special, but it won't tickle and may give me time to get access to my HK P2000SK if needed. I'm showing 13 houses Saturday so I'll feel comfy with the 642 in my pocket.

Some pics of the "family"

Dean