The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 14, 2024, 09:17 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Pistol to SBR or Rifle to SBR?

Finally scraped the money together for an MCX Spear in 7.62 NATO (this is a really expensive hobby... ) and have known since I began saving that I ultimately wanted it in the 13" SBR configuration.

The question is how do I get there? Am I better off buying the pistol version and adding a stock after the Form 1 or am I better off buying the rifle version and swapping the barrel after Form 1 goes through?

The pistol option would be significantly cheaper but I kinda like the idea of having a 16" barrel around if I ever wanted to take it out to longer ranges.

Thoughts?
Old April 15, 2024, 01:26 AM   #2
zoomie

I'd go pistol and not worry about the swapping barrels criteria. It's less than 200fps difference and 16" 308 isn't exactly long range nirvana anyway.
Old April 15, 2024, 01:39 AM   #3
georgehwbush

IMO and this is only an openion; which isn't worth the pixels it's writen in, i would go with the carbine and swap the barrel.
Old April 15, 2024, 10:03 AM   #4
dogtown tom

Quote:
zoomie I'd go pistol and not worry about the swapping barrels criteria. It's less than 200fps difference and 16" 308 isn't exactly long range nirvana anyway.
This.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 16, 2024, 07:03 AM   #5
stagpanther

If it were me, neither--I'd wait for the 277 fury rifle to come out--giving time for those first first in line to burn that 4 to 7K (don't know what it actually is, but it's expensive from what I've read) to have the honors of working the bleeding edge bugs out.
Old April 16, 2024, 10:04 AM   #6
'88Scrat

I actually ran into the Sig rep of my LGS while he was doing an event and he said that while they do plan to launch .277 to the commercial market eventually, it will probably be years before anything actually hits the shelves.

Suppose I could bide my time until the 7.62 NATO versions come down in price. But I'm not sure that'll ever happen either. I saw one once for about $500 off and it was purchased before they even put it up for sale.
Old April 16, 2024, 10:20 AM   #7
stagpanther

You ever shot a 308 pistol? It goes BOOM!
Old April 16, 2024, 02:03 PM   #8
georgehwbush

You ever shot a 308 pistol? It goes BOOM!

it goes "BOOM!" and every one around goes "DAMN!"
Old April 16, 2024, 02:36 PM   #9
stagpanther

My money is on the novelty wears off after 10 shots.
Old April 16, 2024, 11:13 PM   #10
'88Scrat

After the last few comments and looking at a few videos of 13" 7.62x51 firearms maybe I'll just go with the 16" version. The blast on some of those rifles would be intense to say the least...
Old April 16, 2024, 11:47 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
After the last few comments and looking at a few videos of 13" 7.62x51 firearms maybe I'll just go with the 16" version. The blast on some of those rifles would be intense to say the least...
Despite my personal comments--which are worth what you paid for them --if you really want something bottom line is go for it!
Old April 17, 2024, 11:09 AM   #12
taylorce1

If you're willing to pay the money for an SBR, then you might as well invest in a suppressor. IMO the only reason to own any SBR or semi-auto pistol shooting rifle cartridges is to use a suppressor.

The main reason for SBRs is to use in tight/close quarters. An SBR with suppressor is usually still compact enough to be used in CQ situations. Without a suppressor an SBR is deafening and ruins your vision in low light situations. Most people finding themselves needing to use a rifle or rifle cartridge pistol in CQ outside of training rarely have time to put on hearing protection.