The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 28, 2024, 04:55 PM   #1
Scorpion8

SD40VE and SW40VE

Either the 40S&W or 9mm versions, but does anyone know how much commonality there is between these models? The frames look identical, the slides have more bling here or there. But the writeup only says about the VE sights being much of a difference. Can you swap an SWxx slide with an SDxx slide in the same caliber? The barrels (and locking lugs) look identical, as is the take-down, etc.

Interested to know. Thanks.
Old April 29, 2024, 12:55 AM   #2
veprdude

I think some parts are interchangeable. I know mags are. I can try swapping the slide. I'll get back to you.
Old April 29, 2024, 09:55 AM   #3
Scorpion8

Thanks, I would appreciate that. Yep, the mags are interchangeable. The two firearms are so similar that I'd be surprised if they didn't. Most companies prefer to use the same parts in as many products as possible.
Old April 29, 2024, 07:02 PM   #4
veprdude

I had to replace a slide lock spring. They carry different part numbers if I recall
Old April 29, 2024, 07:16 PM   #5
Scorpion8

Yea, I just got in an SW40VE slide, and it appears in every way identical to an SD9VE slide. In fact the barrel and recoil spring swap, because they only made one slide barrel-hole-diameter, the 9mm barrel has a bulged end to take up the extra diameter space. I swapped the SW40VE slide onto my SD9VE frame with 9mm barrel and recoil spring and it functioned flawlessly. Cycled, racked, clicked when trigger pulled, locked back on an empty mag.

Perhaps the springs have different p/n's, but I think (so far) all parts would swap interchangeably.
Old April 29, 2024, 09:48 PM   #6
Scorpion8

There are a few differences. Extractors are different. Front and rear sights are different. Endplates are identical and swap back and forth. Firing pin/striker mechanisms swap back and forth. Slide contours are different.

Makes ya wonder why S&W made two different slides with different parts instead of an "economy version" and a "deluxe version". Everything on the frame seems identical.