The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 7, 2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Clone

Bore Sights worth it?

how accurately do they work and what brands r the best for the price? how exactlly do they work? iv seen them sticking outa the barrel but iv not seen what keeps them from movieng around in the barrel and throwing it off center.
Old July 7, 2005, 05:49 PM   #2
steveno

I have had a Bushnell for a long time and it works for it's intended purpose. it will get the scope on target at 25 yards most of the time. I doubt had I put the target at 100 yards to start that very many of the shots would have hit the paper. here is one instance were I don't think the more expensive ones are better
Old July 8, 2005, 03:12 AM   #3
Pointer

For bolt actions? No.

Remove bolt and you can bore sight by centering the bull in the barrel and adjusting the scope cross hairs to center on the bull... When they match, you've done it. Fire for effect then zero.

For other actions... it's your money.
Old July 8, 2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Clone

from what iv read here i think ill stay away from bore sighters and use good ol shooting to sight my riffle in. thx for the replys
Old July 8, 2005, 09:15 PM   #5
MeekAndMild

They don't work better than the old way, which is to take out the bolt and sight down the barrel.
Old July 9, 2005, 03:05 AM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

I have a bore sight that uses studs and more recently have also acquired a Leupold magnetic one.

These devices save shots by getting you on the paper. They are definitely not an alternative to zeroing in a rifle, but do simplify the task. If you have a bolt action you certainly don't need one as you can do it just as well 'the old way'.
Old July 9, 2005, 01:42 PM   #7
AK103K

I use the "remove the bolt method" on bolt guns, and a 90* chamber mirror/bore checker on most others so I can see down the bore to do it. I set the rifle in my cleaning rack and always try to do the adjustment on something as far away as possible for best results. I always start shooting at 25 yards and most of the time I'm very close to point of aim.
Old July 9, 2005, 10:06 PM   #8
Dave R

My technique for bore sighting non-boltguns:

1. Align iron sights to target. Immobilize gun.
2. Align scope crosshairs to target.
3. Fire for effect and zero as needed.
Old July 10, 2005, 11:10 AM   #9
Zekewolf

I'm surprised at the guys I see at the local range who've mounted scopes to the carry handles of their AR's and don't understand that they can simply conform the scope to the iron sights.

Dave: You're not, of course, bore sighting; you're simply blasting and correcting, which is what bore sighting is supposed to mitigate. (Unless you're using a see-through scope mount.)
Old July 11, 2005, 09:39 AM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Dave: You're not, of course, bore sighting; you're simply blasting and correcting, which is what bore sighting is supposed to mitigate. (Unless you're using a see-through scope mount.)
Nope, you missed the point. Use the iron sights to get the bore aligned with the target. THEN mount the scope and align it to target. The trick is to keep the gun immobile while you mount the scope. But it makes the process much faster than just plasting and correcting. Seems the only rifles that don't have irons these days are boltguns. So I'm saying I have no need for a bore-sighter. Bore sighting works for most, and iron sighting works for the rest.
Old July 13, 2005, 09:36 AM   #11
Zekewolf

Dave,

Just checked back and realize that we're actually talking about the same technique; however, I don't know many folks who mount their scopes at the range. Seems to me it'd be pretty difficult to immobilize the rifle while mounting the scope. Of course, if one had a see-through mount (I hate 'em on bolt rifles!), one could just conform the scope to the iron sights.