The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 8, 2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Stargazer

Cleaning/Polishing the S&W 686....?

Gentlemen, My new S&W 686 sure shoots sweet. It was a demo gun in a gun shop that CDNN purchased out and resold. The stainless finish is nice but there seems to be some sort of film or buildup of scum/gunk in the crevices of the barrel and other parts. Kinda like a white thick film of just old oils from being handled.

Is there anything that can be used to clean up the outside stainless finish on one of these. I don't want a chrome plated look or a mirror look, just want to get it cleaned up a bit especially in the barrel outside longitudinal grooves. I used a rag that had some Flitz metal polish on it to see if that would remove some of the film and it did. Did I do wrong here by using the Flitz, is there anything better? Normal gun cleaning type solvents did not touch it.

I got to shoot it about (100) times yesterday and each and every time I shoot this pistol I like it even better! What do ya'll use to keep these pistols looking good?

M70 Web Page
Old October 8, 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
629 shooter

A lot of shooters use Flitz. I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish for my 686 and my stainless Ruger Single Six. Intense polishing over a period of time will transform the finish of the revolver. My 686 and Single Six no longer have the matte look , now more of the bright stainless apperance.

I polished up the bolt handle on my Savage stainless rifle and it does sort of have that chrome look to it. But light buffing should not drastically alter the finish of your revolver.

Did the grasshopper show up after you posed the gun?
Old October 8, 2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Stargazer

Ahh, you noticed the wildlife. I guess it was there when I first laid it down and then I saw it when I got up closer for close-ups.

It's good to know others use Flitz too. What little wiping I did with a cloth that I had wiped off some cases with did clean the film somewhat. An application of Flitz intentionally should remove the film all together.

M70 Web Page
Old October 8, 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
JoeHatley

I use Flitz on my S&W stainless guns with their "brushed" finish.

Flitz will clean it up nicely, but if you don't want a mirror finish, go slow and know when to stop.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old October 9, 2006, 09:32 AM   #5
joshua

Flitz is the ticket, I use it on my stainless guns all the time. If you don't want them ending up shiny go slow. I usually use a solvent like Hoppes on dried up/filmy thick oil then use an old toothbrush to brush off that stuff. Then go to town with a dry rag. Nice Smiths yo'll have there. josh