The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Will you consider buying Taurus instead of other makes?
Yes 92 55.09%
No 75 44.91%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2007, 09:59 PM   #26
22-rimfire

Not me given the way the poll was phrased. I would consider buying a Taurus revolver. In particular I'm interested in the 4410. Probably would be better to ask if you would choose consider buying a Taurus when looking at Rugers. With Smiths and Colts, there is no contest.
Old June 11, 2007, 10:01 PM   #27
pinotguy

A resounding "NO" if it's only in the calibers listed above.

A definite "YES" if they ever get around to introducing their 10mm revos. I'm a sucker for the cartridge - especially in a wheelie.
Old June 12, 2007, 12:08 AM   #28
obxned

Been looking at'm, but haven't bought (yet).

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 12, 2007, 01:34 AM   #29
Qwiks draw

06-10-2007, 06:49 AM #14
Qwiks draw

Posts: 279 As a owner of a PT111 Mil/pro, PT22, model 65,66,85CH, and 94, all Taurus that Taurus does put out decent products. All of these have given excellent service and some are 15+ years old. Longevity and dureability have been the bywords.

In 2005 Taurus won three prestigious awards in the gun industry overall as well as several NRA awards about the same time or even more recently.

The 3 major awards are as follows: Shooting Industry Manufacturer of the Year; National Association Of Sporting Goods Wholesalers of the Year; SHOT Business Manufacture of the Year.

So Taurus has to be doing something right and putting out good products.Otherwise these would not have been awarded. Competition is fierce. These awards are not just handed out.

" Conventional Wisdom" to the contrary Taurus is doing things right for the most part. And...."Conventional Wisdom" is not always wise.

The above is a quote by yours truly in another thread.

I did not vote because I consider other companies makes and models on merits even though I own a number of Taurus revolvers. I do own other makers products, but the Tauri meet every criterea and fill every niche. The Taurus revolvers get used more than anything else. That will be true for a long time to come.
Old June 12, 2007, 09:14 AM   #30
JR47

Where in the name of Sam Colt does this silly idea that Brazilian steel is different as to hardness come from? Steel formulations are pretty well known by now, and are nearly universally adhered to. If Brazilian steel is somehow inferior, then Springfiels Armory 1911s have a problem, as their slide and frame are forged in Brazil. Surprise, many South American manufacturers use parts forged in Brazil in their weapons, some of which are imported here, and have rave reviews.

Please, how about a citation explaining where you got this from, and sources doing the testing.

We own over a dozen Taurus handguns, as well as literally dozens of Colts, S&W, Ruger, and various other makes. In the past nearly thirty years, I've sent back many more of the various other makes than Taurus (1).

I actually buy what I like, not what some Internet Commando proudly proclaims as his or her "ONLY choice". I do, however, check the weapons thoroughly, no matter the brand. This includes an intial check for cosmetic defects, alignment of the barrel in revolvers, the ability to accept snap-caps in all of the charge holes, the trigger action, and general tightness. Semi-autos are field stripped for a quick look around. ALL weapons are cleaned PRIOR to shooting, and lubed properly. Magazines are also inspected prior to the purchase, and then also cleaned. Not buying a problem saves 75% of the trouble, and cleaning and lubing another 10-15%. The rest is beyond my control from just a cursory inspection.

All too many of the brand-bashers have BOUGHT a weapon with mis-aligned sights, or cosmetic defects, or tight charge holes, etc., and are NOW upset at the factory, instead of themselves.
Old June 12, 2007, 09:15 AM   #31
hj28rules

I voted yes because I have a Taurus Model 66B4 .357 with a 4" barrel. With more than 1200 rounds through this revolver, it is still a solid performer. Also, it was about half the price of an S&W. I also have a S&W M10 that I am fond of. When I went to look at a new revolver, I was amazed at the high prices of even used S&W's.
Old June 12, 2007, 09:20 AM   #32
Manedwolf

Yes. The bashers are mostly me-too forum sorts who have never owned one, who heard something bad their uncle's friend's inlaw's cousin said about one they had twenty years ago. It's like saying that a new Acura TL is no good based on a 1983 CVCC. Same company. Time passes. Taurus has been innovating, S&W's quality level has DROPPED quite a bit!

Quote:
Taurus steel is barazilian made and is softer steel than the american counterparts, thats why i prefer american made
Congratulations, that's the most ignorant and patently wrong comment I've seen on a gun board in years. Bonus points for the worst spelling of "Brazilian" I've ever seen as well.
Old June 12, 2007, 09:28 AM   #33
kentucky_smith

I did, with the price difference between a Taurus 651 protector .357 and a Smith and Wesson 640, I thought it would be worth it to try the Taurus out. I'll let you know what I find out.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26237

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32126
Old June 12, 2007, 09:37 AM   #34
ronto

Bottom Feeder = Yes
Revolver = No
Old June 12, 2007, 09:55 AM   #35
Wildalaska

Quote:
Yes. The bashers are mostly me-too forum sorts who have never owned one, who heard something bad their uncle's friend's inlaw's cousin said about one they had twenty years ago.
Except for those of thus in the industry who have to deal with the crap they put out

Wildiwontevengettothesteelissuebutyouwillwhenyoushoot300roundsfroma454ragingbullAlaska
Old June 12, 2007, 10:40 AM   #36
neight

i have first-hand experience w/ a couple of them. my buddy had one in .357 (not sure the exact model number, but it was the model designed to be about the size of a smith model 19). he bought it used because it was cheap, not really knowing anything about guns. well ... it was terrible. the lockup was very loose, the gun was out of time ... it just seemed like the gun had been worn out. trigger pull was nevertheless very gritty (you'd think it would have smoothed up if it was shot that much).

that being said, he replaced it with a newer and clearly less-used taurus that seems to be a very decent handgun. my uncle has a .357 taurus snubbie that's really pretty nice too. the action and trigger are more gritty than a smith, but i guess that's to be expected. the finish of the metal isnt bad at all, less machining marks than on some rugers ive seen.

im willing to forgive the first one as a bad example, i.e. over-used and out of time. but i guess that's also my problem with them ... a ruger doesnt cost much more, and im not sure if its even possible to get a ruger in the condition of that taurus thru shooting (it would take a lot more shooting, at least).
Old June 12, 2007, 11:48 AM   #37
OneShotOnly!

Taurus is a good compnay, but if you pitch its revolvers against SW and Ruger.....forget about it. It does not even come close. Specially, in extensive use.
Old June 12, 2007, 12:08 PM   #38
JR47

Well, there go the polls. Why word polls to support your own prejudices?

Wild, I've also been "in the industry" over the years. Unfortunately, I haven't been witness to the same problems as you. All of the local shops carry Taurus handguns as a matter of course, and have for decades. In speaking with them, they are all unaware of major problems with the product, and all five that I've posed this question too intend to continue to carry the line. They also will ship a weapon with a warranty issue back for you.

ronto, is that a self-description, or a supposed to be meaningful comment?

neight, so both of these revolvers were used? I still have my 3" Model 66, that I bought about 20 years ago. Steady diet of .357 Mag , and a smooth single and double-action trigger. Only change has been a set of Hogue grips. It's hard to assign blame to the factory associated with a used handgun. The fact that S&W Model 29s shoot loose in as little as 700 rounds of full-power loads, in the earlier versions, has to be taken into account when buying one used. It's just the price of the package.
Old June 12, 2007, 12:23 PM   #39
Wildalaska

Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't been witness to the same problems as you.
Well JR. no more than 24 hours ago I held a 99% exterior condition raging bull that was out of time after 300 rounds.

The little revolvers 38 and below I suppose are adequate, although you can buy a Smith for a few $$ more......

WildrestarejunkAlaska
Old June 12, 2007, 12:35 PM   #40
Doug.38PR

If Colt or S&W is available, why would I consider a cheap third world made gun
Old June 12, 2007, 12:35 PM   #41
50 shooter

Just 300 WA?

My .454 RB probably has 4 times that through it without a problem. ANY gun manufacturer can put out a lemon it's not just limited to Taurus.
No time for rearranging.
Old June 12, 2007, 01:28 PM   #42
Manedwolf

BTW, if you're asking about the 4410, it's AWESOME. I have the stainless one, and it's a solid gun. The cylinder turns and locks with a nice, solid "clunk", very smooth, and it's surprisingly accurate.

And the shotshells are just too much fun. It's my "house gun", going from birdshot to #000 to corbon 45 LC hollowpoints.
Old June 12, 2007, 01:33 PM   #43
Wildalaska

Quote:
ANY gun manufacturer can put out a lemon it's not just limited to Taurus.
True, just some put out an elegant plate of slices, whilst others give you a truckload

WildanalogyboyAlaska
Old June 12, 2007, 01:46 PM   #44
Jkwas

I love reading the Taurus threads....

There's no sense in beating a dead horse, Except for the pure pleasure of it
Honestly folks, everyone has their favorite, can't we just let it be? Let's get a cup of coffee and find something more productive to do.
You'd swear a Taurus rep stole their girlfriend the way they talk about them .
Old June 12, 2007, 04:00 PM   #45
christcorp

In the Immortal Words of that great American; "Rodney King"; who once said:

"Oooo; Ouuuuch; Aaaaaah; Stopppppp; Eeeeeeek; Ooooooh; Aaaaaaah;"

Oops, sorry. I think it was; "Can't we all just get along"?
Old June 12, 2007, 08:39 PM   #46
JR47

I held a S&W Model 29-7 that the seller swore had "less than 100 full-power loads through it" that had enough end-shake to register on the Righter scale. It, too, was well cared for in the cosmetics department. I also sent back a Sig P229, at about 500 rounds. It had this odd crack in the slide. Or how about the HK USP that wouldn't group below 6", in a Ransom Rest? Brand new, I was the owner.

I'm actually forced to admit that my Taurus and Ruger handguns have given me less trouble than the high dollar ones. At the prices Sig, HK, or S&W charge, they really SHOULD be troublefree.

Last edited by JR47; June 13, 2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old June 12, 2007, 08:44 PM   #47
leadslinger07

IMHO if a revolver isnt made in amercia than it's crap. Smith and Wesson is the best there ever has been and will be.
Old June 12, 2007, 08:58 PM   #48
sdj

Toro Toro Toro

I would, but I would have to fire a number of them to get a feel for them.
Old June 13, 2007, 06:35 AM   #49
JR47

Ever heard of a Korth? It's not made in America, but it is acknowledged as the current "Finest Revolver Made".

S&W is S&W, and QC has been all over the place since the 1960's. Most people a few years ago wouldn't buy one, something to do with selling-out to the Clintons.
Old June 13, 2007, 08:38 PM   #50
Ivory Grips

Taurus model 85

My main carry piece is my trusty Taurus model 85 snubby. I rarely leave home without it. It's a very well made handgun. I'd compare it with the very first handgun I've owned, a S&W model 15 purchased new back in 1967. The quality is built into the model 85, and anyone who owns one knows what I'm talking about. It's the first Taurus I've ever owned. I cannot speak for other Taurus models, as I've never owned any other Taurus than the 85. If other Taurus models are as good as my 85, well then sure I'd buy another one.
Closed Thread