The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 18, 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Any guns in your *safe(s)* loaded?

Anyone feel the need to keep them loaded in the safe? My only loaded ones are outside - that's the general rule - outside, loaded; inside, not. But I have no kids here either.
Old February 18, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
BigFunWMU

My long guns are always unloaded, and checked, before they go into the safe, and always checked again when they come out before any handling. Pistols too, except for 1, and that is always loaded, all of the time.

It doesn't change how I handle my firearms, but it keeps my ammo in nice neat boxes...
Old February 18, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3
HuntAndFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFunWMU
My long guns are always unloaded, and checked, before they go into the safe, and always checked again when they come out before any handling. Pistols too, except for 1, and that is always loaded, all of the time.
Ditto, except the loaded one never goes in the big safe, it goes in the quick access handgun safe or it goes with me.
Old February 19, 2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Hal

Quote:
Yep....
I keep one on the top shelf as a "just in case" gun.
Just in case someone gets the drop on me and forces me to open the safe.
I know it's wishful thinking to actually believe there's a snowball's chance of ever getting it into play and everything,,,but what the heck,,it's a desperation type of thing.
Old February 19, 2006, 01:19 AM   #5
Handy

I have one of those pop open touch safes - it has room for just the one loaded gun.

I don't keep ammo in my big safe with those guns. They are all unloaded to prevent any sort of confusion.
Old February 19, 2006, 05:50 AM   #6
kirkcdl

I prevent confusion the opposite way-all are loaded,inside or out...
Old February 19, 2006, 06:38 AM   #7
godzilla

We keep 2 revolvers in the safe on the top shelf with only enough ammo right next to them to fully load quickly just in case. All other ammo is kept in a seperate cabinet.
Old February 19, 2006, 08:40 AM   #8
PDshooter

I keep "Nothing" loaded ever.........in my gun safe.
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old February 19, 2006, 08:46 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Most are loaded.

All are handled as though they are.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:03 AM   #10
fleshwound

The only loaded guns in my safe is a shotgun, and my Sig. Sig's out at night, but back in while I'm at work. All other handguns and long guns are unloaded, however loaded mags are close by...
Old February 19, 2006, 09:23 AM   #11
cecILL

Who knows? Some are, some are not. Even I don't know. But this situation DEMANDS you check them each and every time they come out. After all, aren't all firearms assumed to be loaded? And, all that my "stashed around the house guns" need, is a squeeze of the trigger.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:45 AM   #12
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Just in case someone gets the drop on me and forces me to open the safe.
Not a half bad l'il plan, Hal; good idea. Sig line is outstanding also, Hal.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:54 AM   #13
Hkmp5sd

All of my guns are loaded all of the time. Those in the safe and out. That makes it impossible for anyone to get shot by an "unloaded" gun in my house.
Old February 19, 2006, 10:01 AM   #14
Abndoc

All of mine are unloaded, checked before they go in and checked when they come out. To be honest, the thought of a "just in case" pistol or rifle being loaded in there never occured to me. It's probably best to leave my routine unchanged as just another level of personal gun safety.
Old February 19, 2006, 10:29 AM   #15
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
TAMARA has got it right in my opinion.
Most of mine are always loaded but all are treated as being loaded.
I usually have at least 4 in my truck, .45 acp, .243, .22 & 12 ga, all loaded
Gonna get ripped off one of these days, and I know it. Got insurance just in case.
Old February 19, 2006, 10:35 AM   #16
FirstFreedom

And I thought I was weird for keeping 2 guns in my pickup at all times (in addition to whatever CCW I may have on me at any given time). I've got a Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1 behind the seats, with 2 loaded mags in the center console compartment in the front (1 full of 180 gr soft points, and 1 full of 150 gr FMJ penetrators for Mark Wilson scenarios), and a handgun in a quick-access safe bolted to the floorboard, with extra mag (this one recently changed from a Glock 20 to a Springfield 1911).

I don't see what whether the guns are *actually* loaded has to do with always following the safety rule of treating them all as if they are loaded, regardless of location or time.
Old February 19, 2006, 10:37 AM   #17
model 25

A loaded gun doesn't bother me unless it's pointed at me I do consider every gun loaded and even after I check it and lay it down I still consider it loaded. By keeping this for front in my gun handleing then I don't make mistakes by the assumption that something is unloaded. They are all loaded

The guns that I keep ready for use are always loaded too.

Old February 19, 2006, 11:09 AM   #18
mack59

Of course I keep guns loaded in the safe. I need them close at hand as I snuggle in between them in the safe when I go to bed at night. Who knows, if as I slumber soundly in my gun safe, some perp might not sudddenly open the safe door and commence to assault me.

Okay, I don't really sleep in my gun safe, well not really , it's not big enough ya know. I do however have loaded handguns in a quick access safe next to my bed - I have them there because I have 5 young children - and I find I can get them almost as quickly as if I just left them out. As I have two locked doors between me and any potential intruder, and our bedroom is on the second floor, I don't feel that the momentary delay is a problem, considering that I do not completely trust all of the kids to be one hundred percent responsible one hundred percent of the time, though they have all had gun safety training.

Course, if I had my choice my whole house would be a gun safe, though my sweety never smiles when I suggest it.
Old February 19, 2006, 11:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes
Old February 19, 2006, 01:06 PM   #20
Handy

Quote:
I prevent confusion the opposite way-all are loaded,inside or out...
All guns are handled as if their loaded by me as well, but the purpose of keeping a gun loaded is to be able to use it. I don't want any confusion as to which gun is ready to go, so I keep that one seperate from the rest.

The "all guns are loaded" rule doesn't actually apply to when you need to fire one.
Old February 19, 2006, 06:01 PM   #21
Dust_Devil

I keep a couple loaded handguns locked up.

Not saying that all of the firearms in your safe(s) should be loaded, but if any of your firearms are there for the purpose of home protection, it should be assumed that at least that firearm is loaded and ready for home-defense use. It would be also assumed that your loaded home protection gun will be either in your control or locked up in a safe.
It wouldn't make sense if someone said they had their loaded shotgun standing in the corner of the room or in their bedroom closet, but think it's unsafe or weird to have that same loaded shotgun locked up in a safe.