The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 18, 2024, 10:49 PM   #26
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
truth is if you look closely at the reloading manuals, you will see the 300 savage will do anything the 308 will do. And when Eugene Stoner and others came up with the 308/7.62x51 it was based on the 300 savage case. In fact they started with the 300 savage round and for some reason chose that 7.62x51 instead. Not sure why, as the 300 savage will do anything that will do
Oldbear1950, I know why that change was done. 2 reasons, really. First, .300 Savage was the cartridge used in the initial prototypes of what would eventually become the M60 belt fed machine gun, which was intended to be based on a short action as opposed to the long action M1919. While it gave nominally acceptable performance, the sharp shoulder of the .300 Sav gave some concerns about feeding reliability. Second, the .300 Sav didn't have quite the velocity intended, that of the Milspec .30-06. 2600 fps vs 2800 fps with a 150 gr bullet. So, an "Improved" .300 Sav was created. This became the 7.62x51 NATO (.308) that did meet the specs.

FWIW, I once had a Savage 99 in .300 Sav (rotary mag with brass round counter), and I loved it. It was my grandfather's rifle. But, years on, it turned out that my father's older brother had a desire for it, and because he had the better claim I gave it up to him. Sadly. Yes, I handloaded for it. I turned over my ammo and dies, as well, as I knew I would never have use of them again.

Last edited by gb_in_ga; May 18, 2024 at 11:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #27
snoeproe

I have 2 99’s, both in 300 savage.
A 1941 EG and a 1982 E, series A.
I remember when dad bought the E new in 82. He bought the EG when it came into my uncles sports store in the late 80’s in a lot of guns a widow was selling on consignment. He gave the EG to me when I was around 15. I guess I have pops to blame for my fondness of the savage 99. After pops passed away, I ended up with his guns. The boy is 11 and will get his grandads savage 99 E when he’s a few years older. Keep the love of the 99 savage alive. It’s an absolute Wonderfull rifle. Mine are family heirlooms.