The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 28, 2002, 08:40 AM   #76
Rovert

Shake, you're absolutely right. Anyone who judges an entire product line by one sample, and truly believes that politics, salesmanship (read: lunches, concessions, courtesy 'gifts' like free guns) and buyback programs don't play a part in the decision process is simply ignorant of how business works in the real world, and selling themselves short by not giving a great product another try.

I wonder what would happen if these reactionary people who judge an entire line of product by one sample would react if they had the unfortunate random luck to get one of the many Glocks that fail right out of the box. We'd probably be hearing about 'enough of this Glock crap'.

*sigh* Some people just don't get it.
Old January 28, 2002, 08:47 AM   #77
Alnamvet

More flotsam and jetsom on Glocks...

I'm going to be technical now, and un-biased, even if I love Colt 1911's, but in my most diplomatic and bias free opinion, Glocks are simply BASURA!!!

Glock...the AK-47 of pistols.
Old January 28, 2002, 09:20 AM   #78
Hard_Case

Quote:
There is no politics in chosing a sidearm most of the time. Glocks are chosen because they are available in any caliber you could want and size, They are noted for reliability and accuracy, They have one simple trigger pull to master. They are priced right. They usually win all the torture tests out there. Lets see a Walther go 140000 rounds without an overhaul then you can talk. Heck the first ones and the one I had could not even make it through a magazine without a malfunction.
PAT
If that were the case, then the SW99NJ wouldn't exist. Have you ever dealt with procurement issues in a police/military system? Politics plays a HELL of a lot into it, what with preferred contractors, special deals, and so on. It's a great load of fun explaining to management that distributor X can get parts at a better price, only for them to respond that, well, X is not on the preferred distributor list. I'm sure the fact that Glock is very agressive and very into 'volume discounts' for LEO customers has NOTHING to do with their being chosen, whatsoever.

Ah, now we come to the crux of the matter. You slander the Walther and praise the Glock because the first run had issues, and the one you purchased had them as well. I hate to break this to you, but it is a rather common experience for first runs to have issues. If that were the sole criteria, then practically EVERY firearms manufacturere would then 'suck'. Yes, the first run of the .40cal had issues, most of them being the US made slide/US assembly. My research has shown that the 9mm did not inherit those issues. Believe me, I am sorry that you had a bad experience with the Walther, but it will take more than simply quoting Glock brochure one-liners to assure us of it's 'supremacy' over the P-99. Like many other people, I have shot both, in 9mm.
I decided to go for the Walther, because it was more comfortable ergonomically, and it shot better. I'm sure that torture tests mean well, but I don't exactly see myself throwing my P99 into a cement mixer, or running it over with an 18 wheeler.

One also has to ask......considering this is an open forum, and neither a Glock nor a Walther only forum.....why is it that so many more have come out in support of the Walther as a quality firearm?
"Sure. I respect your right to resist. You should respect my right to break your legs for it."
- Cain, The Blade of Tyshalle
Old January 28, 2002, 09:24 AM   #79
VVG

thequickad and 357Sigfan, have I got the forum for you!

Check out the Semiauto forum at http://talk.shooters.com/

Lots of people who don't think much of Glocks!
Old January 28, 2002, 10:56 AM   #80
adept

can we be returned to our usual intelligent discourse on firearms without mudslinging or rapid bladder emptying exercises?? yes, every firearm made is the best ever made, every firearm ever made is the worst ever made.

we are all entitled to our opinions, it doesn't help us to try to ram our opinions down the throats of others. they don't have to agree with us. but let's give each other the respect we ourselves would like.

the bottom line is we each use the firearm that we trust our lives to, one is not better than the other except in our own experiences. i'll trust my p-99, you trust your glock, or your 1911, or you s&w, or anything else you would like. but for *ME* <notice what i am stressing here> it's the p-99. please note what i am also not saying, i am not disparaging other firearms, i am just stating my personal choice...and keeping my reasons to that is just my preference.

just my $0.02 <can i get some change??>

and for the record...i purchased my p-99 before knowing that james bond carried one, while i am a serious bond fan i leave those types of purchases to my brother who picked up a ppk because it was the bond gun. he hates it, but won't sell it for that reason.

Adept
Old January 28, 2002, 11:02 AM   #81
Shake

thequickad,

I'm assuming you're simply a troll and not a person who is serious about firearms. Otherwise statements like the one you made to start this post wouldn't be made.
Quote:
If the Walther P99 is such a great gun, why did Walther have to lower their price in order to compete with the Glock? I had a P99 and it is just not as reliable or accurate or duarable the Glock. Glock rules
What on earth does price have to do with how good a firearm is? especially when you are talking $100 difference or less. Making statements such as the above just shows ignorance.

You HAD a P99 and determined it isn't as durable as the Glock? Just how did you determine that? Did you fire 100 rounds through it and decide it isn't as durable? Please explain to us specifically why it isn't as durable. We're anxiously awaiting your expert appraisal. Please give specifics, not generalities.

Anyone expert enough to determine which guns suck and which ones are the "best" can surely give us specifics on why they do suck or why they are the best.

I'll wait for your reply. . .

Shake

-George Patton
Old January 28, 2002, 11:28 AM   #82
Shake

thequickad,

On second thought, don't respond to my previous question. I read enough of your historical posting to not take you seriously (like I did before).

The following posts have been made on TFL by thequickad (you can find these statements by doing a search by name/handle):

Quote:
My analogy is that Highpower works, but it lacks many of the features of the P99. Each generation of firearms do try to improve on the previous generation. I prefer the P99 because it has many sound improvements.
Quote:
Looks like we have a lot of good opinions on the Highpower and I respect that. But I am a leading eade kind of guy and I am looking to get the SW99 also to complete my P99 collection.
At some point it looks as though the P99 has "sound improvements" over the BHP (a big step if you believe thequickad) and is considered "leading edge" by thequickad. Must have been good enough at some point for him to have a "collection". Was it a collection or one as you indicated in the initial post of this thread (your exact words were "I had a P99. . . ).

Pretty funny.

Shake

-George Patton
Old January 28, 2002, 11:53 AM   #83
Whats-A-Glock?

Quote:
Oh yea Glock bribes all the officals to pick its guns. Its a real political process. Give me a break. Time for you to face the facts that glock is chosen because its the best not because of some political reasons.
Yawn!!!zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old January 28, 2002, 12:19 PM   #84
P-99er

Quote:
can we be returned to our usual intelligent discourse on firearms without mudslinging or rapid bladder emptying exercises?? yes, every firearm made is the best ever made, every firearm ever made is the worst ever made.

we are all entitled to our opinions, it doesn't help us to try to ram our opinions down the throats of others. they don't have to agree with us. but let's give each other the respect we ourselves would like.
Totally agree with this point, well made. If I may point out though, a lot of posts are merely making points without the "urinating contest". I was only stating things I have experienced and read. I have yet to notice P-99 defenders trashing anything else, we just speak in favor of what we like. Probably because we realize that a lot of it is largely based on opinion and individual experiences.

I also noticed that the rabid members of COG (I like that term) never consider things are based on opinion and personal experiences. They are not satisfied with "I like...because". It is almost like an immature father of an ugly daughter trying to defend her beauty. I have also noticed the same "mentality" over at that other lesser forum, where also there is little recognition or acceptance of varying opiinions. Not only do they think that theirs is the ultimate opinion, they too have to do the rabid attack routine. I have never understood why they are so defensive. Speaking well of a sidearm does not equate with a trashing of any other. I wonder what it is that cause such immature behavior. Could the Glock manual have some type of subliminal messages that hypnotize some folks?

I have tried to give positive feedback based on my experiences and what I have read. I never meant to trash other sidearms, just to "talk up" what I know is a very fine sidearm. And that was based on my opinion, not what Walther told me.

The idea that any sidearm can go 140,000 rounds without repair tells me that somebody has some elevator problems. I guess that is from the GlockAmerica website.

If you notice the opening post on this thread was a negative attack against Walther and in favor of Glock. I guess Walther is seen as the most credible threat to the popularity of the Glock. I can definetly understand that fear.

Nothing but love for ya!!
Old January 28, 2002, 02:17 PM   #85
adept

p-99er, while there were a number of well formed posts, there were a good deal of "it's better because i say so". it gets so tiring. shame we can't all just agree to disagree.

Adept
Old January 28, 2002, 02:56 PM   #86
P-99er

Adept,

I agree to disagree. I have said before that we all have something in common: we support RKBA and we enjoy shooting. I would rather discuss when we can get together and shoot up a lot of ammo and try out each others guns. I have always enjoyed shooting other type of guns. But unfortunately the Glock crowd doesn't see it that way. I wish we would focus on our common interest and build on that. From there we can share information based on each others experiences. That should make us all a little wiser.

An instructor that I much admire said it best: " I don't care what you carry, so long as you carry". That puts it in a nutshell.

I wonder if I invited a COG member to go to the range if he would say "not if you are going to shoot anything but a Glock". I can't help but think so. So with my experiences here and especially the other mad dog glock site, I have to realize that I am not welcome anywhere around a Glocker. So when I realize someone shoots a Glock, I will understand that I don't speak Glocker, therfore I am an alien and unwelcome.

I guess to them I am the worst sort of traitor in existence: I own Glocks, but prefer P-99s.

No biggy.
Old January 28, 2002, 03:02 PM   #87
adept

p-99er, you heathen...how could you profane the existance of your walthers by owning glocks as well. next you're going to tell me that the .45acp is the caliber to end all calibers. <yes, this is sarcastic humor>

where ya located?? we could always meet at a range, you bring your favorite glocker and i'll bring mine...and then i'll even throw off the balance of the world and bring a pair of .38s...colt and s&w just to confuse 'em.

Adept
Old January 28, 2002, 03:19 PM   #88
glock glockler

Practice like hell, carry always, and pray you'll never have to use it.

This tribalism is foolish, I don't understand why people have to pigeon hole themselves into being a fax of x gun, which has to be the ultimate force in the universe and all others suck.

It might be a bit of a surprise but I like Glocks, but I also happen to be a big fan of 1911s. I haven't tried the Walther yet but I've heard they're sweet, maybe I'll eventually pick one up. That's the great thing about a free market: variety! You get many different variations of things and they are generally better as time goes on.

I never saw any law written in stone saying that you can be a fan of only 1 type of gun. C'mon, we're better than this.
Old January 28, 2002, 03:33 PM   #89
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Notice how they're all sitting there, peacefully coexisting, ready to do their jobs and back each other up?

Let's take a lesson from them.
Old January 28, 2002, 03:51 PM   #90
P99

Are we still arguing about this?

Nice collection Tamara!

P99
Old January 28, 2002, 05:02 PM   #91
Whats-A-Glock?

What do you expect?

I can't help but notice Ms. Tamara that you talk a good talk, but you far from walk the walk.

For instance: You speak of tolerance, peaceful coexistence and getting along, and you have a picture for an example. A very poor example. :barf:

You want to praise your guns for getting along: I say, Physician Heal Thyself!!

You are a segregationist. You have you guns "profiled" and segregated according to their physical appearance and construction. That is no different than segregating by race.

Why aren't any Revolvers in with a Semi-Auto? I notice the Glocks are all by themselves and have their own container. And the metal semi's are segregated from the polymer. What gives?

Of course they get along, they are segregated to being with those of similar makes. Even glocksters get along with other glocksters.

I have a dream, that someday little polymer semi-autos will be allowed to play with little metal semi-autos, that revolvers will be allowed to play with glocks, that little sidearms will be judged not by the material in their composition but by the ammo in their chamber. oh what a dream...

Last edited by Whats-A-Glock?; January 28, 2002 at 10:47 PM.
Old January 28, 2002, 08:48 PM   #92
NMGlocker

355sigfan said:
Quote:
Walthers P99 trigger is bearable not good. Its not as nice as a glocks its heavier with a longer reset. Also who gives a rats ass what the gun looks like.
Actually neither the P99 or the Glock have what would be considered a GOOD trigger. And good is entirely subjective anyway. I prefer the Walther's trigger, does not seem as mushy, although my G19 with a 3.5/NY1 combo is nice as well.
I gotta call B.S. on the trigger reset.
The Walther has considerably less reset travel than the Golck.
My Walther's reset is about half what either of my Glocks are.
A stock G17 and a G19 with the 3.5/NY1 trigger.
Both Glocks have considerably more travel to reset than the Walther.
My Sig P228 looks better than my Walther or my Glocks.
And a polished blue Browning HP looks better than anything else made. Looks are subjective as well though.
Old January 29, 2002, 03:56 AM   #93
355sigfan

NMGLOCKER you only have to let the trigger out about a 1/4 of an inch for the sear to reset on a glock you don't need to let all the slack out.
PAT
Old January 29, 2002, 04:10 AM   #94
Brasso

I have a glock and a p99. I like them both. The P99 has a noticeably shorter trigger reset than a glock. The single action trigger pull isl also lighter and crisper.
Old January 29, 2002, 06:34 PM   #95
NMGlocker

Quote:
NMGLOCKER you only have to let the trigger out about a 1/4 of an inch for the sear to reset on a glock you don't need to let all the slack out.
Ummmm......DUH!
The Walther's trigger still resets much sooner than a Glock.
I am talking the standard Walther trigger, I have no experience with the QA trigger, so maybe it's reset is longer? I have owned a Glock 17 since '93, i've shot several thousand rounds thru it, I know how long a Glocks reset is.
Old January 30, 2002, 04:48 AM   #96
355sigfan

, I know how long a Glocks reset is.

Apparently you don't know to just release to sear engagment then start to pull agian. No need to let all the slack out.
PAT
Old January 30, 2002, 10:24 AM   #97
Shake

Apparently you don't read, as NMGlocker has demonstrated by his previous posts that he is fully aware of what trigger reset is.

Listen 355sigfan, do you know what the reset distance is on both? The guy obviously has both guns and if he says it is shorter on the Walther how can you dispute that unless you have both guns and get different results. You sold your Walther. . . remember? Are you going off memory or what?

Classic example of a Glock fanatic who can't swallow anything perceived to be negative about Glocks.

Shake

-George Patton
Old January 30, 2002, 12:10 PM   #98
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I believe...

...it's about time to drag ol' Yeller behind the barn.
Closed Thread