The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: The better do-it-all scope for an AR?
Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4x24 IR, 4A reticle (30mm) 0 0%
Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20 BDC reticle (1") 5 71.43%
Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 IR/non-IR 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20, 2014, 01:56 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Scope features. Which do you value more?

Although I plan to try shooting my new () AR with my existing red-dot, this is a stop gap with it either being replaced with a higher spec RDS or, looking more likely, a low mag scope.

Given my low budget but conflictingly high quality demands (a fairly common affliction I think), I have narrowed my choices down based on what is readily available in the EU.
I have started a new thread on this to focus discussion/contributions on these two products.

All are 1-4x.

One is the Bushnell Trophy XLT with a 24mm objective, 91% light transmission, 30mm tube and 4A illumintated reticle.
Can be bought £200 (pounds stirling).
+'s being the objective, light transmission, IR and price.
I like the idea of IR, but means needing a battery for it to work and I have never actually used one so don't know what benefits it brings.
I also don't know if the scope still aims well with the IR off.

An other is a Nikon Monarch 3 with a 20mm objective a 1" tube but a BDC reticle. I believe the Nikon has greater eye-relief too, but am not certain.
This is more expensive at £240.
So the only real advantages to the Nikon are the brand (I personally rate Nikon higher than Bushnell. Am I wrong to?) and the brilliant BDC reticle.
I have used the BDC system in the Prostaff and find it very handy, making hold-over far easier.

The final option is a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24. The big advantage here is price: Also about £200 with IR, or about £170 without. I've seen the brand mentioned and seemingly well liked. Listed as Made in PRC, but need not be bad. Again, 30mm tube and 2nd focal plane reticle. It shares all the specs of the Bushnell, but is cheaper to buy.
Does it match the Bushnell though and is it good enough to warrant discounting the Nikon?

Basically does BDC trump IR, 30mm tubes and price?
Which is the better do-it-all scope for miscellaneous shooting (target, comp, HD, SD etc etc...)?
Anything I've over-looked?

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; September 20, 2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old October 10, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2
LDB

I hope you get some feedback. I'm interested to hear what people have to say. I won't buy Chinese when other options are available, but that's my personal preference.
Old October 10, 2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Ske1etor

Wonder if you can get a SWFA SS 6x fixed over there? It's a mil reticle, mil target turrets, side focus. Low fixed power will give you better clarity than any value priced variable optic. Mildot is easy to learn.

The issue with illuminated reticles in the value scopes is that it's rarely done well and will likely bloom and blow out the reticle.