The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 30, 2002, 10:33 PM   #1
Camshaft

cheap scopes with a fish-eye effect

i have a 12x bushnell on my 10/22. its about 9 months old. it has developed a fish eye effect. everything is distorted towards the edges. is this a common symptom of a cheap scope?

thanks.
Old May 30, 2002, 10:36 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

More commonly they come a little bit that way. If it is a progressive thing, sounds like seperation of elements of a duplex lens. Try for warrenty.

Sam
Old May 30, 2002, 10:44 PM   #3
Holmes

A while back I bought an ATN 5x33LU scope because everyone recommended them saying they were built really tough and great clarity and great optics. First of all, the scope distorted the colors of whatever you were looking at (gave everything a yellowish tint).

Worst than that, it had major fisheye. You could move it around on something geometric (like vinyl siding on the side of a house), and it would bend all the lines near the edges.

On the other hand, I have owned scopes from BEC that did not exhibit any fish-eye effect.

I think it is something that probably accompanies cheap scopes, but also accompanies some not-so-cheap scopes.

The problem with your scope, however, seems to be related to durability, not design like I have talked about.

Durability is definitely something that costs, though.
Old June 1, 2002, 09:19 AM   #4
Herr Walther

I believe it is called spherical aberation. But this is not something that develops over time. It either has it or it doesn't when it is manufactured.

This spherical aberation is an astronomers worst nightmare in refracting telescopes which is what a rifle scope is with an erecting lens.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old June 1, 2002, 09:44 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Herr Walther....I agree. That's why I think he is getting seperation of a duplex element and maby warrentable.

Sam
Old June 1, 2002, 10:28 AM   #6
Matt Sutton

I've got a B&L Elite 3000 that Has the "fish eye" effect. It suprised me as the scope was originally going for much more than the $100 I paid for it. Meanwhile, my $45 BSA airgun scope is perfect!