The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 1, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
treefarmernc

gunpowder under attack?

Has anyone here heard any rumors of there being research done to limit the shelf life of gunpowder? I recently herd that certain organizations were trying to change the formula of gunpowder so that it can’t be stored for very long. This is just word of mouth though. I have not( as of yet) seen anything on the web.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Urban legend.

The lineage of this thing goes back to the "expiring primer" myth that went around during the Clinton administration.

Myth: Ammunition companies, in cahoots with the Federal Government/New World Order/Space Zombies, were rumored to be making all primers in such a way that they would have a shelf-life of a few months.

Truth: Winchester shipped a batch of primers (Winclean, IIRC) that had a few duds. Somebody ran with the whole silly idea.

Scary thing is, I'd forgotten about the whole thing until about three months ago, when I was confronted with a panic-stricken guy who wanted to be sure the primers he was getting were not the "new" kind that would expire

The Internet: everything old is new again.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3
CortJestir

Quote:
Urban legend.
...and then some.

/thread
Old August 1, 2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, urban legend repeated here MANY times, and not just about gunpowder. Primers are also supposed to have chemical clocks in them to deaden them.

Unrealistic.

Since we've visited this topic many times in the past, and the answer is always the same, I'm going to close this.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread