The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2001, 12:04 PM   #1
jimmy

I understand that early production Tomcats had reliability problems. Has Beretta worked the bugs out of this gun? Are current production Tomcats significantly improved?

My dealer just got in a new Tomcat, and I'm tempted. But I'd rather not put money into it without at least some assurance that the pistol will function properly.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old January 25, 2001, 06:43 PM   #2
johnwill

Personally, I'd forget the Tomcat and get the Keltec P32. Smaller, lighter, and less felt recoil too. This is an easy choice...
Old January 25, 2001, 09:02 PM   #3
logansdad

Had two Tomcat's. Firing pins broke in both. This as less than a year ago. Don't know about recent manufacture, but I'll never trust another one. Got my eye on a NAA Guardian, though.
Old January 25, 2001, 11:29 PM   #4
Coronach

No. They still sucked as of this year, so much so in fact that our PD has outlawed them as backup/off-duty pieces for its officers. Word is that there are better guns, with the same features, at comparable prices.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 26, 2001, 12:09 AM   #5
jtduncan

No . . . they're still chunky thick little ammo-sensitive jammomatics. Other than the Cheetah and the 92, I wouldn't buy a Beretta.
Old January 26, 2001, 09:26 AM   #6
LightningLink

I've had my Tomcat for about a year and have stuffed a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. It has been 100% reliable with silvertips but occasionally jams on ball (maybe 10 times total).

Nevertheless, I will be looking for a Kel-Tec P32 at the gunshow this weekend. Why? Well, as pocket pistols go, the Tomcat is probably one of the biggest. I also have the stainless version which has a wider slide than the regular version. And weight, jeez the P32 is almost half the weight. There are also a lot more pocket holster varieties available for the P32. So, I currently have a pocket pistol for carry that I don't carry because it's too bulky for a pocket. Ironic, huh?

I love my 92F and Cheetah/84FS (coincidental, eh jtduncan?), but my Tomcat appears to be on it's way out the door.

LL
Old January 26, 2001, 09:57 AM   #7
Coronach

My academy class and the 'Jamcat'

For those of you who might recall prior posts on this subject, back when I was in police academy the Tomcat was allowed as an off-duty/backup weapon. 5 recruits (I think) bought one, despite the Ordies' unofficial advice to avoid them like the plague. the 'Jamcat' had the most spectacular failure rate of any gun I have ever seen that wasn't made by Lorcin or Jennings. 4 recruits returned them to the (very unhappy) dealer post-haste. One kept his, since it seemed immune to whatever ailed the other 4. Out of curiosity I followed up and asked this guy if he still had his. He said he, too had ditched it shortly after graduation. Apparently karma caught up with that one as well. In his words the gun was a "complete piece of s***."

5 out of 5 recruits say no to the Jamcat.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 26, 2001, 10:14 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Silly me,

Maybe mine doesn't know it's a "Jam-o-matic". It has been entirely reliable for the fifteen months that I've owned it; the only stoppages it's had (2) both occurred during an extended range session when I fired 125+ rounds through the thing at one sitting and the little blowback-operated beastie got just filthy. The two people I've recommended newer Tomcats to also seemed happy with theirs. Do not dry fire them, as it will bust the firing pin.

I've put about 1k rounds through this thing with 2 stoppages, both during the same firing session, both in a filthy pistol. But I'll defer to those with greater experience with Tomcats than I. Like those guys who heard from the cousin of the best friend of their department's armourer...
Old January 26, 2001, 12:45 PM   #9
Shawn Dodson

I've had my Tomcat since early 1997, and I shoot it frequently. I've experienced none of the problems reported by others. I carry mine frequently, primarily when I want to arm myself for a short trip to the store or to run the kids somewhere. I store it on the top of the kitchen cabinets. I just grab it, load it and stick it in my jacket pocket or use a Bianchi model 100 clip-on IWB holster. (My other "primary" handgun is a G19, which is stored bedside in a GunVault. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion IWB holster, which is usually locked-up in the closet gun safe so it doesn't get misplaced.)

I own several Berettas: model 20, .25ACP; model 21A, .22LR; model 3032 Tomcat .32ACP; model 85F, .380ACP; and model 96FS, .40 S&W. They've all been reliable handguns.

But if I were to do it again, I'd probably get a P32 instead, due to its smaller size. It wasn't available when I bought my Tomcat. But I have a Tomcat, which has been reliable for me, and I don't see the need to spend money to replace it. It works fine and meets my needs.
Old January 26, 2001, 10:42 PM   #10
Coronach

Hmmmmm

Tamara, I'm not sure if that was a poke at me or not (), so I'll take the high road and assume it was not (and besides, I was actually present for most of the cursing and swearing involved, no armourer's cousin involved, so it must not be me). I'm glad your Tomcat is immune to whatever ails the ones they ship to my town.

Mike

Old January 26, 2001, 11:56 PM   #11
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

But of course not.

For as you mentioned, you were an eyewitness. It's those who blast my little gem based totally on hearsay that chap my hide.
Old January 27, 2001, 12:19 AM   #12
Marko Kloos

I've owned two Tomcats, and they both worked out fine. No stoppages, no malfunctions or broken parts, even with Tomcat No.2 pulling ankle rig duty and getting linted up on a regular basis. If there's a downside to them, it's their size...they are pretty big for their caliber when you compare them to the Guardian or especially the P-32. On the other hand, the size issue works in their favor...they are the mildest shooting .32 pistols, and also the most accurate due to usable sights. They feel and shoot like much bigger guns.

Quality issues? Not with any of the Tomcats that went through my hands. The rear of the slide is very sharp indeed, but the whole gun is well made, and I never had anything break on my two very reliable Tomcats. That's as much as one can ask from a gun.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 27, 2001, 11:00 AM   #13
johnwill

Having actually shot the Tomcat, the Seecamp, and currently owning an NAA Guardian and a Keltec P32, I'd say the P32 has the softest apparent recoil of the bunch. It may be the lightest, but the locked breech seems to soak up most of the recoil. I also think the Tomcat is too big for a .32ACP pistol, though the ones I have direct experience with didn't have any significant reliability problems.
Old January 27, 2001, 12:09 PM   #14
logansdad

As for my experiences with the two Tomcat's that I owned, I WISH that they had performed. I loved the mode of operation (you could carry them Condition One!!), the arrangement of the manual safety (1911-style), and their reliability (only experienced a few FTF's/FTE's early on during break-in).

My main problems were that the triggers were HORRIBLE - even in single action - and the firing pin breakages. Both firing pins broke while dry firing WITH SNAP CAPS in the chambers. With the first breakage, I had to fight with Beretta to repair it. On the second one, I simply ordered a new firing pin and replaced it myself to save S&H and time. After those two mechanical failures I simply could not trust them anymore. I do not recall any recommendation in the owner's manual against dry firing them.

As for their size, I thought that they struck a good balance - not too tiny to hold on to and not too big for concelament. For the brief period that I carried mine, I kept it in a Blocker pocket holster in my right hip pocket. Looked just like a wallet from the rear.
Old January 27, 2001, 04:12 PM   #15
CoastieN70

I've got about 500 rounds through mine, I shoot it every couple of months. I had a couple stopages during the first 50 rounds and have not had a malfunction since. Mine is a sweet shooter.

Size is perfact for my large palmed short fingered hands. Speaking of size, it wasn't long ago that the PPK was the smallest readially available .32 out there and my Tomcat is a heck of alot smaller and lighter. I have shot all the readially available .32's (seacamp not being readially available) and even checked out the P32. Ergonomicly the Tomcat fits best for me.

BTW I feed mine Gold Dots for carry and practice with UMC hardball. I finish each practice session with my then carry ammo (the Gold Dots) and refresh my carry ammo at that time.

This is a back-up weapon most of the time and what I call a "Church Gun" (only God can see it) when my USPc 357Sig can not be concealed properly.
Old January 27, 2001, 11:02 PM   #16
7th Fleet

Forget the Bobcat and get a Keltec P-32, smaller, lighter, more reliable and easier concealed than the clunky Beretta.

7th
Old January 29, 2001, 08:54 AM   #17
cobraman

My Tomcat has also perfect. I have one of those strange sized and shaped hands Med size palm extra short fingers. Tomcat fits well and functions great
Old January 29, 2001, 09:58 AM   #18
jimmy

I appreciate the responses. Over the weekend I went back to the dealer and had another look at the Tomcat. This is the "Alley Cat" variant, with the front night sight. On the surface, it appears to be a very well made gun. Plus, it's a good fit in my large hand. But I realize that, regardless of how good it looks and feels in the shop, the test is its performance at the range.

And then there's the price tag: $350! Ouch!
Old January 29, 2001, 01:48 PM   #19
ruda

mine's great

I've been ghosting this board for a while now and finally decided i should respond.

I got my tomcat through Auction arms for $200 in 98% condition. This little gem has NEVER failed at anything. Even though i carry it everyday and shoot it at least twice a month. It feeds FMJ or hollowpoints without a pause. The p32 and guardians are smaller and lighter, and although i've never shot one, they just don't feel good in my hands, i think they are too small.

One other note. Before i heard the warnings about dry firing, i dry fired mine all the time and no problems. also i went and looked in the owners manual and there is a warning about dry firing.