The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2001, 12:02 AM   #1
mept

Michigan now has passed a CCW law which I believe they call "shall issue" which I understand to mean that certain counties/cities can no longer deny permits without a justification. My question concerns handguns in that my only "concealable" handgun is a little PPK clone in .22,
1. DO YOU HAVE TO QUALIFY WITH ANY GUN YOU PLAN ON CARRYING???
2. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE TYPE OF HOLSTER YOU WILL USE TO CARRY FOR THE MANDATORY TRAINING, OR IS IT MORE OR LESS A GUN SAFETY COURSE WITH SOME RANGE TIME???
3. I WANT A MAK FOR MY NEXT GUN BUT DON'T KNOW IF THE HEEL MAG RELEASE WOULD MAKE ANY PART OF THE CCW COURSE MORE DIFFICULT???
In the service we qualify with holstered weapons which we have to draw from and also perform reloads. I just don't know much details since this is new to me and new to Michigan, Thanks for any input
Old January 29, 2001, 01:48 AM   #2
timujin

Michigan CCW

Most states that require mandatory training for their CCW will want you to qualify with your carry gun. Don't go in with a .22lr to qualify. Qualification courses aren't going require you to speed reload like a Thunder Ranch couse. Go buy your Mak and a decent carry holster............Mike
Old January 29, 2001, 11:47 AM   #3
jlflegal

I just "graduated" last night from my Michigan CCW class.

We shot twice, the first session I used my Browning .22 (there were two others using .22's) and the second night I took my CZ-75. The instructor doesn't care what you bring, he is looking for your demonstrated ability to safely handle a handgun and shoot it reasonably accurately. I'm not going to carry either gun a took to class, my carry gun will be a Makarov. I couldn't use it for the class because you can't get 9X18 lead bullets, the shooting part of the class prohibited jacketed ammo.

The law does not require you take the class with your potential carry gun, nor does an instructor.. You do not need a holster, no one in my class of 21 used a holster, and there was no opportunity or need for one.

I have been shooting a Makarov for over a year (over 2,000 rounds) and have gotten very used to the mag release. Sure its not as quick as a regular release (by American standards, Europeans prefer the heel style) but the Mak's outstanding accuracy and total dependability have made it my choice for self defense. Call up Makarov.com and check out the Fobus brand holster for $30, that's my choice. I have plenty of time, the new law doesn't kick in until July 1st.

For answers to all your questions about the law, go to the Michigan Gun Owner's Coalition website. Just type that into the Yahoo subject box and it will pop right up. There is also a real good message board with lots of discussion that will help you.